Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:59 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : In the hot seat

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 09:28am 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My client is a producer of coach driver-seats and he wants to incorporate heaters.

They intend to fabricate a metal enclosure with a "rugged switch" and have asked me to come up with a small control unit.

I don't agree with their suggestion that this should be simply ON for a factory preset time and then OFF for a preset time. My belief is that this will burn the driver's buttski.

I'm thinking; one of the tiny Picos, driving several levels of PWM, maybe three levels; low/medium/high.

Any opinions on this?

I have received a couple of these heating elements and that is basically it, just two wires. I measure 52R element resistance.

Craig

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 09:53am 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'Day Craig again.

As I have said in the past, the hard part is defining the problem. The software is the easy bit.

Good luck

Peter

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:56am 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Most heaters are resistive. So in a coach, where battery voltage is typically 24V the 52 ohm would be like 10 watt.
Yes you could PWM it, even with temp sensor feedback from a pico.
Let the PICO drive a power FET on a PWM output.
Read temperature from a DS1818 or similar, and glue the sensor to the seat.
Add a variable resistor that you read from an ADC to adjust driver comfort level...

That would be around $10 in materials EXCLUDING the connectors....
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:00am 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A 556 timer? One half is a "temperature" control that switches the other half. The other half is an oscillator driving an output transistor. So, the second half sets the max temp and the first half fires it in bursts.

Or an 8-leg PIC and a darlington transistor. You could have a cheap temperature sensor in the seat (the linearised thermistors are really nice and will give a 0-5V output). Simply maintain the seat at a fixed temp when it's switched on. Similar idea - burst fire.

PWM is overkill. I'm not tempted to use a Pico or Arduino here simply because of possible silicon supply difficulties. It may also be an electrically noisy environment. KISS wins.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:11am 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

the temperature levels (however you actually "do" it) need to be fairly rapid in response.

Often I have seen solutions that have a constant setting for a given level that is fixed for the whole time of demand, i.e. if MED is 30%, the PWM comes on at 30%.

This way it takes ages to warm up. Simple feedback can provide a much better method whereby you come on at 100% for rapid warm up then drop to your required maintenance value as you approach the required temperature - bearing in mind there is hysteresis and the will be some over-run.

Probably not critical for a human butt, but precise control e.g. bring a lump of metal to a given temperature in the shortest time, progressively slowing the PWM as you approach the target temperature to a point where the PWM sustains the temperature... and dealing with the inevitable over-shoot as the environmental temperature varies - ask me how I know this without inquiring about the heated bed controller for my 3D printer  

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 10:15am 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As I was saying  

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:52am 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Volhout: Sorry, typo...that should have been 5.2 ohm  
They already know that if it's cost-sensitive, they're talking to the wrong guy  

Yeah, I brought-up the 24v question. I don't know if they bring that into the cab...waiting for clarification on that.

@Cap'n: PID is what I do so no problem there  

@Mick: Client needs to be able to play with parameters such as PID gains and whatever timers we come up with. I was also thinking about some form of power-setting indicator.
They are talking an initial order of 200 units and so I'll insist on a downpayment that would cover all components.

Of course, I got carried away and proposed a mobile-device/Bluetooth controller but I think that was a bit much for them  

Rough idea:

Craig

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:26am 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are already heated seat systems. Loads of them, even for buses I think. Why aren't they looking at those?
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 11:41am 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  There are already heated seat systems. Loads of them, even for buses I think. Why aren't they looking at those?

It's the old game of coming up with something that's their own brand. I mean, this will probably be a stainless-steel enclosure with laser engraving...they have all the equipment for this and any knobs or pushbuttons must be rugged:

Craig

phil99

Guru

Posted: 12:41pm 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With engine running - (28V ^ 2) / 5.2R = 150W
It's a freckle cooker without reliable feedback!

Plasmamac

Guru

Posted: 01:26pm 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Inside from the elektric blanked :
Medisana

Gtx
Plasma

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 02:43pm 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh heck, now I'm in trouble because the client is all excited  

All I suggested was a single button and few LEDs to indicate the power level.

He agrees that all-or-nothing power is not the way to go...so PWM it is  

PicoMite is overkill but I love it  

Craig

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 02:52pm 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  
PicoMite is overkill 

it's a $4 component and once you have everything in the software domain it's all a piece

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 03:50pm 12 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  
  Tinine said  
PicoMite is overkill 

it's a $4 component and once you have everything in the software domain it's all a piece

IKR? But I have 3 PicoMites linked together as I/O expanders and it feels criminal to do this. OK they handle debounce locally and for me, a "START" signal involves two inputs transitioning simultaneously (lo to hi and vice versa) but I still feel like I'm committing a crime.  

[checks outside for black SUV]

Craig

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:17am 13 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Huh! Boringly simple....
But I guess, no need for a thermistor.

Craig

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024