Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:07 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM BASIC (Maximite 2 Gen)

jonesypeter

Posted: 05:19pm 24 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Growing up I had a Sinclair ZX Spectrum (and still collect them today and run quite a large forum and software database). Two of the aspects of Sinclair BASIC that really helped with simple game development were:

Being able to redefine the character set (Which Sinclair calls User Defined Graphics)

Being able to see what is at a specific Print position.  Sinclair BASIC has SCREEN (X,Y) which returns the ASCII character at this print position.

I appreciate the implementation of MMBASIC has Sprites which is probably the better way to go for more advanced games.

I did do a search in the PDF manual for SCREEN () and User Defined Graphics, and Redefine

Finally, are there any resources where people share games they have written?

Thanks

Peter

lizby
Guru

Posted: 06:18pm 24 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Resources: for CMM2

You can define a new font with DEFINEFONT.

>Being able to see what is at a specific Print position.

Depends on what you mean by "see". You can use BLIT READ, but I'm not sure it will give you what you're looking for.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:37pm 24 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can't read ascii characters from the screen as the CMM2 supports multiple fonts and an individual character can appear anywhere. i.e. at any pixel position.
Everything on the screen is just coloured pixels. There are no characters once text is on the screen although there is nothing to stop a Basic application maintaining a character map as a text array.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024