Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:30 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoGAME Mini

Page 1 of 2    
Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:37pm 24 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is the Mini version, for a single controller. Pocket dynamite, this one. lol

Tom: Please hold off putting this onto the Wiki for the moment. I'd like to get any bugs out first. :)

PicoGame Mini 00 - Construction Pack.zip
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

lizby
Guru

Posted: 10:14pm 24 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice. Ordered. $6.38USD with slow boat shipping. Looking forward to a play.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

twofingers
Guru

Posted: 10:33pm 24 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,

maybe you should change the name (PicoGAME) for copyright reasons?

Best regards
Michael

EDIT:
I hate this copyright stuff too!
Edited 2022-06-25 08:34 by twofingers

pwillard

Posted: 11:25pm 24 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As a fellow long-time user of Sprint Layout... Maybe we can share some Macros or Lay files.

As always... nice work

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:24am 25 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I intended to put this in the OP, but it was late and I had brain fade...
For those who may be looking for the first time, the original PicoGAME info is in This Thread.

-----------------------------------

I'm not too bothered about copyright. It's written differently, in a different country and we don't have a similar product. PicoGAME VGA (which has a logo all of its own, designed from scratch by me) is a non-mobile hardware product (unless you really want to call a VGA monitor and PS/2 keyboard "mobile"). PicoGame (which has a completely different style of logo so there can be no confusion) is a mobile software developer. The Sega Pico is a different name again, hardware but a completely different name.

Additionally, PicoGAME VGA (to give it it's full name) is a product design, not a company name. PicoGame is the name of the company, not a product.

I won't change the name unless I get some sort of "cease and desist" letter, in which case I *might* consider not using that name again. I might come down like a ton of bricks on anyone I catch using PicoGAME VGA in a similar logo to mine though. That would be appropriating my designs.

It's too late now anyway - the designs are already out there for free, everywhere in the world. I don't sell the hardware or even give it away so there's no way to stop distribution and none can be recalled because no-one knows where they are or how many there are.  :)
Edited 2022-06-25 16:49 by Mixtel90
Mick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:04am 25 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

pwillard said  As a fellow long-time user of Sprint Layout... Maybe we can share some Macros or Lay files.

As always... nice work

I've always used SL from version 4 to now version 6.
I have 348 macros I have designed over the years, happy to share on the forums if anyone else is interested.

I would start a new thread, so as not to hijack this one.

Interested?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:18am 25 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think the SL stuff should have it's own thread. :)

I'll be happy to contribute some macros.
Mick

twofingers
Guru

Posted: 10:18am 25 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Mick

I was just worried you'd get in trouble. You don't have to explain anything. It's okay with me and I love it when people post their ideas - thanks for that!

Best regards
Michael

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:42am 25 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TBH I don't think they'll bother. It would probably be more than a court case - or even a solicitor's letter - would be worth. A court might throw it out and they could be lumbered with costs. It's not worth suing a pensioner with no additional income. "Yes, Sir, I can just about afford to pay at 10p per week." :)

--------------------------

I don't think the document is clear enough.

To run the PicoMite SMPS:
Break the 3V3EN link. Omit U1. C14 and C15 can also be omitted. Set the input link to get a supply from K1 (default position). Fit a wire link between VSYS and 5V. It's not really intended to be run from the SMPS because of electrical noise. I only brought 3V3EN out to a pad to make it easier to mess with.

To run the linear regulator using the USB input socket:
Set the input link to get a supply from VBUS.

Do not be tempted to link the outer pads of the input link as this bypasses the protection diode in the PicoMite. Connecting both a K1 supply and a USB supply could then result in damage to the USB port of the host computer.
Edited 2022-06-25 21:57 by Mixtel90
Mick

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:11am 12 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My PicoGAME Mini PCBs arrived today from JLCPCB. 17 days, slow boat, not bad.

I will mail one free to the first three people in North America who PM me with their street address.

Thanks, Mick.

Question: are the end panels supposed to snap off or do I need to cut them (I have a bandsaw)?

Lance
Edited 2022-07-12 10:13 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:05am 12 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I couldn't get them to be snap-off for a couple of reasons. If you mark something as snap-off it's charged as an extra board unless it's identical to the rest, so that would have been the cost of three boards. Also, for snap off designs you have to leave waste areas that are big enough for the clamps and I've used virtually all of the available area for a cheap board.

A bandsaw would be lovely but I've not got one. I do have a sharp craft knife and a 4in vice though. :)

From the doc:
  Quote  The PCB is supplied with the front and back case panels attached. It is, of course, necessary to cut these off. I find that the best way is to put a panel part into a vice (I use some pieces of aluminium angle in the jaws to give some protection as you need to grip it quite tightly), with the top of the jaws along the cutting line. Then score several times with a sharp craft knife on both sides, using the top of the jaws as a guide. I then push the pcb over using a piece of wood and it will snap along the scored line. Clean up both edges with a file (Warning! Fibreglass particles are an irritant - at least wear a dust mask!) then do the other side.  

(This is the bit that makes me apprehensive, when one of my designs gets built for the first time and someone else is the guinea pig! Some things, like the cut-outs for the sockets, are not easy to sort out in SL6. I can draw them in CAD, but SL6 can't import any sort of CAD files. It is missing simple tools that would make it even a half-reasonable general purpose CAD.)
Edited 2022-07-12 17:28 by Mixtel90
Mick

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 08:25am 12 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said   Some things, like the cut-outs for the sockets, are not easy to sort out in SL6.

But you actually made those cut-outs in SL6?

I looked for this feature but didn't find it (???)

What did I miss?  

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:03am 12 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They are drawn on layer O firstly as a rectangle. Although it doesn't matter much on a big slot, you have to bear in mind that they will be cut out with a router so the corners will be radiused. You can get rounded corners by putting quadrants into them then drawing over the rectangle to join the quadrants. Then you can delete the original rectangle.

Anything drawn on layer O will be cut. I also indicate that it's a cutout by drawing a simple cross roughly in the centre of each.

You can make circular holes by putting a pad on layer O with the inside and outside diameters the same. Small slots are done by overlapping several of these together, in theory, but it's something I've not tried yet.

Mechanical work in SL6 leaves a little to be desired.  :)
Mick

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:27am 12 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Brilliant!

Thanks buddy  

lizby
Guru

Posted: 10:56am 12 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  A bandsaw would be lovely but I've not got one. I do have a sharp craft knife and a 4in vice though. :)

Craft knife and PCB in vice would probably make a cleaner cut. I probably won't be putting it a box though--nothing else I have is in a box. Even my CMM2 has always had the top off. I do appreciate the fact that you make them to fit a box, though.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 12:00pm 12 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good that you kept the PORT A pinning identical, so most of the SW made for the VGA pico GAME will work also.
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 03:49pm 12 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  I can draw them in CAD, but SL6 can't import any sort of CAD files. It is missing simple tools that would make it even a half-reasonable general purpose CAD.)
You are just not being creative enough. ;-)

Draw the item in CAD, along with two fiducials forming, say opposite corners of a known size square. Save it as an image, or zoom to full screen and screen-capture and save (JPEG, I think.) Import the image in SL6 as background on the layer of your choice and adjust the image scaling so the fiducials match as close as possible and trace away. OK, it's a bit fiddly but it can get the job done.

Alternately, use an online dxf to gerber converter, and import that in SL6.

==============
Have all 3 pcbs been claimed yet? If not, I'll PM my address.
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 04:50pm 12 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok, VegiPete--you're #2. PM me and I should send (from Nova Scotia) by Friday.

Bleep
Guru

Posted: 06:04pm 12 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mick very generously sent me one of these, which I have successfully built & yes a craft knife & a vice worked very well, though you do need to really work at it with the knife, before it'll snap off nicely.
Regards Kevin

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:22pm 12 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

On the later boards I'm removing the ground plane copper from both sides of the end plates. It eases the fitting a little and should make the boards easier to score as, at worst, only the very edge of the copper will be being cut. It'll reduce the strength a little, but as the panel is completely gripped by the vice jaws (and I've arranged the panels to have maximum width at the cut line) I don't think there'll be a problem.
Mick

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024