Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:00 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Sprint Layout 6.0

Page 4 of 4    
Tinine
Guru

Posted: 08:18am 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,

Oh I'm not directly driving power but my board will be in close proximity to these things:

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:52am 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's those big, juicy cables you want to keep well away from. There'll be radiated interference from the power devices in the modules in spite of having toroids on the outgoing cables. I would prefer to put low level logic stuff in a separate box adjacent to this one if at all possible.

The earth wires to the top of the modules are safety earths too - treat them as noisy.

If your gear is small enough then the screened diecast boxes will keep out almost anything (at a cost).
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 09:22am 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah, this is my 400mm X 150mm 6-axis CNC controller board. The prototype enclosure is 3d printed but I'm considering shielding the insides with conductive tape.

I have everything here (Press-brakes) to fold a sheet-metal box but I want to finalize the design before I start messing with that stuff.  

Craig

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:41am 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As you've probably noticed, there'll be some heat out of the tops of those beasties when they are running too. Which is one of the reasons why there's a gap. I hope you weren't thinking of putting your gear in there....  :)
Mick

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:16am 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is the other side of the panel. The PLC is coming out and my system will just about fit.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:20am 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah, that might be ok then.
I never got to play with a S7. The biggest I used was the old S5 - but I used quite a few of them. :)
Mick

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:26am 03 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ludicrous price  

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 05:02am 19 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What am I missing here, guys.

I have a via that should have solder mask, right? Covered up?

DRC complains "Pad without solder mask"

No DRC complaints with this one...How does SL6 know what is a via and what is THP?

Craig

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:38am 19 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It doesn't. They are all pads, on one side, the other or THP. It doesn't know about vias at all. It's one of the problems with SL6 and you just have to put up with it, I'm afraid. I usually try to keep the number of vias to a minimum anyway and leave them as THP pads until I've done at least the first DRC. Then I go over the board fixing the soldermask on the vias.
Edited 2022-10-19 16:44 by Mixtel90
Mick

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:13am 19 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah, thanks Mick. It only really occurred to me after seeing one of your boards with masked vias. Of course, SL6's DRC warning is just that. Didn't occur to me to just ignore it  

Craig

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:09am 19 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just happen to like unobtrusive vias. :)

After one or two DRC checks I often turn off that one and only switch it back on much later. The same goes for silkscreen on pads - you have to check for it but it doesn't matter too much on vias unless the text is really small and you lose info.
Edited 2022-10-19 18:10 by Mixtel90
Mick

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:17am 19 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is this something else that Sprint is missing as a standard feature? In DesignSpark I just select in the layer specification for solder mask whether I want tented vias which I always do. The concept of having to delete individual holes in the solder mask and then getting a warning is bizarre. Surely Sprint has a a setting for this?

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:44am 19 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not that I've been able to find, Peter. There doesn't appear to be any way to insert a via, only pads (single side or THP). It doesn't appear to have the concept of tented vias at all.

There are no layer properties to set - you are working on a layer or not and a layer can be switched off or on. That's about it. You can't create layers. Normally you have top & bottom silkscreen and top & bottom copper. If you select the board to be multilayer then you get two additional internal copper layers.

I wouldn't recommend SL6 to anyone thinking of doing complex PCBs, it simply isn't up to it. It's fine for fast, simple stuff - a step up from using 2D CAD to design PCBs but mostly because it can output gerber files. :)
Edited 2022-10-19 19:48 by Mixtel90
Mick

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 09:10pm 31 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well guys, many thanks for the various tips. I decided to take extra time to implement this stuff.

Just been informed that my boards are now in production.

400 X 150mm (5 boards)
FedEx shipping.

£42 including import taxes.

Un-freaking-believable    

Craig

Page 4 of 4    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024