Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:21 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : corrosion on components

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:27pm 31 Mar 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I live near a beach and the pigtails on all my components get corrosion on them over time. I have just had to buy a new breadboard because of faulty connections.
What to spray them with, would WD40 be ok, probably a bit messy.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

phil99

Guru

Posted: 12:04am 01 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a lot of resistors with the same problem but haven't found any sprays that work against the oxide film on leads of components.
They can dissolve a greasy or oily film on surfaces but the oxide is solid.

The method I use is to cut a slot in an abrasive rubber ink eraser with a razor blade. Then run the leads through it a few times before using them.

Andy-g0poy

Posted: 01:29am 01 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Protection-Cutting-Aids-Adhesives/Shield-Technology

Try a vci protection system. It's used to keep tools clear of rust and such like
You can also get vci paper from eBay line drawers with it to give protection.

the small pots you júst stick in a drawer or toolbox and the fumes give the protection for a year or more.

For cleaning leads if you hunt around (I think RS used to do them) thee was a product that was like a wide tweezers, with stainless steel pade at the ends you just dragged the leads through the pads to clean them. I find that a piece of wet and dry works just as well.

Any

palcal

Guru

Posted: 03:00am 01 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If the components were made properly with tinned copper pigtails they would be OK. I have components here from old valve radios and no corrosion.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 03:31am 01 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

test the component leads with a magnet...

cheers,
rob   :-)

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 06:07am 01 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Store components dry. Plastic bag, silica gel pads.
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:42am 01 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For mechanical cleaning you can get track-cleaning rubbers from model railway suppliers. They are nice and abrasive and great for cleaning nickel-silver rails. :)

I'll second the use of polythene bags and silica gel though. Cheap. You can dry out the gel packs in an oven now and again. If the bags are a bit of a faff, compartmented plastic boxes can have a gel pack in there.

Some of the old component leads used to go black anyway. It didn't matter how you stored them. Usually easy to clean off for soldering though. Some silver-plated components like to blacken too.
Edited 2024-04-01 18:44 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

pwillard

Posted: 11:49am 02 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use a product called Tarnx on the old component legs that turn black to bring them back to normal.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 12:03pm 02 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  TARN-X® TARNISH REMOVER
Wear household gloves.
Clean object first by washing in warm soapy water and drying completely. Dip cotton ball or soft cloth in Tarn-X Tarnish Remover and wipe on tarnished areas.
Rinse completely under cold water and wipe dry. For large items, apply Tarn-X to about 1/3 of article at a time, then rinse thoroughly. Do not soak any object in Tarn-X for over 2 minutes.
For heavily tarnished pieces, repeat above process until all tarnish is disposed.

IMPORTANT: Do Not Use on stainless steel, chrome, pewter, aluminum, brass, zinc, marble, artificially oxidized silver, knife blades, lacquered surfaces, pearls, opals or any porous stones, Avoid spilling on laminates, countertops or any synthetic surfaces which may be affected; clean spills immediately. Use in well-ventilated area.

Seems rather corrosive.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:26pm 02 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm not sure that Tarn-X is available in the UK now. It might be one of those things that our criminals have found a good use for!
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

PhenixRising
Guru

Posted: 06:40pm 02 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don't know if this applies but I had some tools that had a bit of surface rust. Read a tip about submerging in white vinegar. They came up a treat...no scrubbing required.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 07:29pm 02 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The vinegar works well when salt is added. I've stripped old copper wire to find it black and unable to solder. Dip it in salt and vinegar and it is back to clean copper. I'll buy some silica gel packs for my parts drawers and see how that goes.

pwillard

Posted: 11:37pm 03 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tarnx uses thiourea to help with chemically restoring the metal. It also has a warning that thiourea is a chemical on California's list of carcinogens. (So that's probably why its not available everywhere)

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024