Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:16 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Lithium battery carging

PEnthymeme

Posted: 12:00pm 06 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Using one of these simple/cheap modules:

Charging - fine
Discharge - fine

Is it possible to power a load whilst connected to external power?  ie to leave it connected (say to USB) so that it is simultaneously charging the battery (assuming power left over) and supplying power to the load?   Or are they designed to charge the battery, disconnect the power and then power the load via the battery?

Cheers
Px

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:05pm 06 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't know about that one, but sometimes the charging current is sensed in the -ve lead to the battery so you can't have the input side GND connected to battery negative. You probably need to check the manufacturer's data sheet for the chips on that board and figure out what's happening.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

cosmic frog

Posted: 02:36pm 06 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bigclivedotcom did a video about this. Link

PEnthymeme

Posted: 02:37pm 06 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  I don't know about that one, but sometimes the charging current is sensed in the -ve lead to the battery so you can't have the input side GND connected to battery negative. You probably need to check the manufacturer's data sheet for the chips on that board and figure out what's happening.

Thanks -- from what I can read on this (and other modules) as you say the current is sensed and driving a load whilst charging is not a thing.  Will add in line switch to disable the load whilst charging.

Use case - illuminated 35mm slide viewer which I am re-purposing to make a "Spock inspired" viewer which will be filled with random cycling RGB LEDs.  Had a few 18650 batteries lying around.

Px

PEnthymeme

Posted: 02:38pm 06 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

cosmic frog said  Bigclivedotcom did a video about this. Link

Ohhh looking now.

Px

Bleep
Guru

Posted: 02:46pm 06 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,
I don't know about that one, but I've just bought and tested a couple of these.
Type-C USB 5V 2A Boost Converter Step-Up Charging Protection Board
It can charge and output power at the same time.
Other nice features, 4 bar led to show state of charge and discharge.
A connection, that allows the turning on/off of the output. (one press ON, two press OFF, from 'K' to ground) Output power is always present if you have a charging input.
Not sure about the claimed 2A, but 1A seems fine, I only need a couple of hundred mA. It will automatically power down if the output drops below 50mA, in the powered off state it seems to draw about 45uA from the battery.
Regards, Kevin.

PEnthymeme

Posted: 02:47pm 06 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cheers all -- I'll purchase few and crack on.

Px

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 02:59pm 06 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

these look similar , lcd shows charge, micro usb charge socket and 1A and 2A usb out while charging

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 03:25pm 06 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I take it back. Connecting charge disconnects output , sorry

lizby
Guru

Posted: 05:21pm 06 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

These 18650 modules will power a load while charging. One caveat--if the load is too great (e.g., a Raspberry Pi ZW), if power is lost and the battery is depleted, the load will not be immediately restarted when power is applied again. Something with lower drain (like an ESP32-S2mini--50-70mW), will restart after shutdown when power is re-applied.

~
Edited 2024-04-07 03:22 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 07:49pm 06 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  These 18650 modules will power a load while charging. One caveat--if the load is too great (e.g., a Raspberry Pi ZW), if power is lost and the battery is depleted, the load will not be immediately restarted when power is applied again. Something with lower drain (like an ESP32-S2mini--50-70mW), will restart after shutdown when power is re-applied.

~

nice

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024