Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:43 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 Questions ESP01

homa

Posted: 11:38am 14 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Peter: Update to CMM2V5.07.02b11 worked! (A friend had a USB type A to type A cable for me.)

@the community:  

In the manual we have described the possibility to install an ESP-01 for WLAN console access. What firmware does the ESP-01 need and where can it be found?
The manual is very vague about this:

ESP-01 Module
There is a footprint on the PCB for connecting an ESP-01 WiFi module to COM2. Version 5.07.00 and later of
the firmware allows COM2 to be used as a serial console so if the correct USB/UART code is loaded into the
ESP-01 it will be possible to access the console of the CMM2 remotely.
At this time MMBasic does not include any Internet functions using this device in but communications can be
established using the normal serial communications protocol included in MMBasic.

And are there any plans to add connectivity (like the WebMite) to the CMM2? Personally I think that would be great.

Thanks for the help.

Matthias

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:31pm 14 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There are lots of different versions of firmware for the ESP01.
Some are from the manufacturer and others are by various people.
Each has good points and which one you use depends on your preference and the use you have for it.

The interface to the CMM2 is through serial so there are no special needs.
It would be difficult to choose one particular firmware and expect it to suit everyone so doing your own control in Basic is best.

You can also use the ESP32 modules and even a WEBmite as an interface.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:51pm 14 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I rea;;y should have another go with a ESP8266-01S. I've never managed to get one to work satisfactorily yet. :( I think I still have a couple around somewhere. It's a case of finding somewhere to set up two systems as switching this monitor between two is a pain (it feels like it take ages to resync).
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:42am 15 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  I really should have another go with a ESP8266-01S.

Looking to renew heartbreak? Yes, I've gotten them to work--maybe even a dozen. Not worth the pain--especially compared to something like Annex32 Basic on an ESP32-S2Mini, flashed from your web browser, and costing only $2.50 each, quantity 4, including shipping.

But the OP apparently wants an ESP-01 in "passthrough" mode, where it just provides access to the CMM2 console. I think there were several posts where someone was successful with this for the CMM2. There are apparently a number of options for ESP-01 firmware, including the stock firmware, for which there is an "AT" command which enables passthrough.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:23am 15 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Do you think banging my head against the wall would be even more painful for the ESP8266-01S than it has been for the Pico W so far?
;)
Mick

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:48am 15 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Mick,

You are aware Peter fixed something 2 weeks ago in the WebMite that was quite essential ? Maybe related to your problem ?

I am asking becuase I have a similar project on the shelf, that could use a Webmite, and appart from Geoff s watering system, I haven't heard many that are succesfully applying a Webmite. I just heard learning curve issues, and real problems. But no "success story" yet. I did my own tests, but shelved the project for half a year, mainly for PETSCII. I need some "drive" to pick it up again. (It is the tropical rain forest frog habitat controller, that I first need to finish the "wet sock" humidity meter for, since no commercial humidity sensors can sustain 90%+ humidity for long).

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:03pm 15 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

At the moment I've taken the Pico W out, so I'll have time to update it and have another play. Just a little busy with other things at present.

The Webmite seems easy enough to actually use, it was just too unstable for me in this particular application. After an update things may be better.

Just in the process of acclimatising some fish to their new home. :)
Mick

homa

Posted: 07:06pm 15 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have been using the WebMite in my home automation system for several months now to read the "analogue" gas meter with magnetic contact via reed contact. The pulses are then sent via MQTT to my broker in the Home Assistant. This works quite stable, except that the WLAN must not fail.

But my question was, which FW do I need for the ESP-01? Doesn't the CMM2 need to respond to the terminal connection or request from my PC with terminal software and isn't this directly included in the CMM2 FW? Or is for that the standard FW with AT commands for the ESP-01 sufficient?
The manual is quite unspecific in this respect. And I can't find the right entries with the forum search :-(

Matthias

lizby
Guru

Posted: 07:17pm 15 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think ESP-link was the firmware people were using, but I don't remember whether that was specifically on the CMM2 or on the PicoMite and other 'mites.

See Hackaday (not 'mite related).
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

homa

Posted: 07:36pm 29 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,
my solution:

https://github.com/jeelabs/esp-link

> option list
CURRENT VGA mode 800x600 RGB332
CURRENT DISPLAY 50,100
OPTION DS3231 ON
OPTION USBKEYBOARD DE
OPTION MOUSE 0,0
OPTION CONSOLE PORT COM 2
>

Pin assignment:
Reset - gpio0
ISP/Flash - disabled
Conn LED - gpio2/TX1
Serial LED - disabled
UART pins - normal
RX pull-up - check

And TeraTerm
with new line: AUTO
Submit: CR + LF

works!

The biggest difficulty was to flash the ESP-01 correctly, but with this link and EDGE it was really easy from the browser: https://www.zuidwijk.com/using-esp-link/#howto

Thanks for the tips
Matthias

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024