Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:01 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Level shifter

PhenixRising
Guru

Posted: 07:46pm 25 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have just plugged one of those 4-channel 5v<->3v level shifters to Pico inputs.

I have 5v connected to the 5v side and 3.3v connected to the other.

With the 5v-side pins open-circuit, my Pico inputs are high. Am I supposed to use pulldowns on the 5v side?

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:22pm 25 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TTL will always assume high for a disconnected input. That's how it's designed to work. As you are (effectively) linking TTL to a 3V3 input then what you are seeing is correct. You can use pull-down resistors if you wish or you can use active-low inputs.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 06:27am 26 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Phenix,

These level shifter boards are BI-directional, and intended for open drain/open collector busses like I2C bus, SM bus, or even PS2 keyboard/mouse interfaces.

Adding a pull-down will disable the bi-directional function.

Since you are playing with quadrature encoders, I assume you are thinking of using these to connect an encoder to a picomite. Although this may work, the pullup on those board may limit their use (for a quadrature encoder, where rising and falling edge need to be timing accurate) to 50kHz.
Note they can support 400kHz I2C bus, but for I2C bus the falling edge is dominant, the rising edge timing is less critical. For quadrature 4/4 the rising edge is also important.

If my assumption is true, you need a uni-directional 5V->3.3V translator. And in many cases a simple voltage divider (i.e. 1k/2.2k) will do the job fine, and will work up to 1MHz or more.

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

PhenixRising
Guru

Posted: 03:55pm 26 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  
If my assumption is true, you need a uni-directional 5V->3.3V translator. And in many cases a simple voltage divider (i.e. 1k/2.2k) will do the job fine, and will work up to 1MHz or more.
Volhout

Volhout,

Your psychic powers are starting to scare me  

Naturally, I'm not in the same location as my proto-boards, components, etc. and so I just got back to my desk with what I need.
Yeah, going for the voltage divider.

I confess that; after reading other forums where 5V signals haven't damaged the Pico, I wanted to be safe, even though I have something like 15 Picos lying around and can afford to lose one. Very tempting when you just wanna test something  

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 04:41pm 26 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I built a resistor logic level dropper for arduino to spi ili9341, one way, just display. worked fine but replaced with bi-directional 8 channel for touch.

PhenixRising
Guru

Posted: 06:34pm 26 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh wait, I have a bunch of 74HC4050s somewhere...This is uni-directional.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024