Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:56 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : We now have Unix

Page 2 of 2    
haiqu

Posted: 07:39pm 19 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maximite + 2.11BSD now has:

pForth compiler
Xitami webserver

And the fun just keeps on going!

Rob

unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep

Bob

Posted: 07:42pm 19 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

haiqu said   Vasi: Sorry, forgot to mention ... there's also a 2Mb virtual memory swapfile (expandable to any size that will fit on the SD card) so memory really isn't an issue.

Rob

Rob,

Beware the limited write-cycle life of flash memory. Any use as swap or even having atime updating enabled would reduce the life of the SD card. This might be a 'feature' that you don't mind, but most flash-based systems disable both the above. Read operations are OK, it's writing that gradually knackers it.

Regards,
Bob
Bob Dalley
http://www.m0rjd.co.uk

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:41am 20 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If he can implement mass storage then can have HDD on USB as @ksdesigns did (but he needs a Max32 board). But SD card should be enough for a while.

Anyway, something is wrong here. Unix, pForth, pic32lua, TRS-80, z80-emulator, two or three variants of MMBasic and just until yesterday was only Picaxe on this forum. Someone can stop these guys please?

Nope, don't stop guys, keep going!

VasiEdited by vasi 2011-08-21
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

donmck

Guru

Posted: 02:34am 20 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vasi said  
Anyway, something is wrong here. Unix, pForth, pic32lua, TRS-80, z80-emulator, two or three variants of MMBasic and just until yesterday was only Picaxe on this forum. Someone can stop these guys please?

Nope, don't stop guys, keep going!

Vasi

Al Jolson, 1927 movie, the Jazz singer. First talkie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jazz_Singer_%281927_film%29

"You ain't heard nothing yet!"

Cheers Don...

https://www.32v8.com/1

pito

Posted: 08:46am 20 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning"..
Edited by pito 2011-08-21

haiqu

Posted: 09:25am 20 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob said  
Rob,

Beware the limited write-cycle life of flash memory. Any use as swap or even having atime updating enabled would reduce the life of the SD card. This might be a 'feature' that you don't mind, but most flash-based systems disable both the above. Read operations are OK, it's writing that gradually knackers it.

Regards,
Bob

Well aware of this issue Bob. In fact there are now file systems especially designed to write to different locations on a flash card each time to extend their life. I think the write cycles on these things is about 10,000 times anyhow which ain't bad for $10.00

Rob

unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep

haiqu

Posted: 07:18pm 20 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Minor progress tonight. Fixed the bootloader so that holding the button at power-up throws the board into firmware load mode and flashes the LEDs to tell you it's ready.

Note: Yes, I know this already works in the original firmware supplied by Geoff but 2.11BSD loads at a different location so I had to write another bootloader.

Nice side effect is that the sign-on message is only being displayed once now instead of repeating. I must have fixed some small bug inadvertently.

Rob

donmck

Guru

Posted: 07:54pm 20 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

pito said   "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning"..

Is that you Winston? I have been looking for you.

Cheers Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

pito

Posted: 09:41pm 20 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yea, your schoolmate Winston..

haiqu

Posted: 04:59am 21 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"This is something up with which we should not put." - Winston

haiqu

Posted: 08:28am 26 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The VirtualMips simulator now has complete support for running the same hardware available on the Maximite as runs on the real hardware. In other words, if you build it and run the simulator instead of the board, I/O works on UART4 and sdcard works on SPI4. This should be useful for anyone wanting to develop the system further.

Downloads of RetroBSD are available via the Subversion repository on GoogleCode.

vasi

Guru

Posted: 10:47pm 26 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Rob,

You compile RetroBSD under Linux?
Beyound Arduino Lang

mookster1

Posted: 01:41am 27 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Would a commandline version of Linux work? Sorry, I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to embedded stuff like the Maximite running Linux...
Capacitance is futile - roll on 2012!

vasi

Guru

Posted: 01:54am 27 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Linux resemble Unix and you can consider that you have a command-line Linux version. If you look at the last screenshot of the HyperTerminal, you can see the "ls" command issued two times for different paths...
Is not Linux binary compatible and you need to recompile your applications (small applications).

Vasi
Beyound Arduino Lang

haiqu

Posted: 11:22am 27 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vasi said   Hi Rob,

You compile RetroBSD under Linux?

Yup. I'm now running a separate partition with Ubuntu, but it builds fine using VirtualBox under Windows too.

Rob

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024