Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:26 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : new build idea for maxi

sparkey

Posted: 03:27am 24 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

if any body is about to come out with a new hard whare edition ....

:would it be possible to have say 16 meg of static ram incorperated with the current hard whare given that some code would have to be written when accessing either the sd-card or the 16 meg of ram "hyperthectially" :: cd sd or cd ram then that would select either of the acessable memory...

::givin the fact that this would also need a battery backed battery for the static ram ..why cannot the maxi have two onboard batterys or even modifyied time clock battery like the pentium one`s used which were in the earlier boards:socket 7 boards there fore the battery backed ram would always be available...regards sparkey
technicians do it with least resistance

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:13am 24 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

But where do we stop Sparkey? If you want more ram, sound, colour VGA etc, then why not buy a cheap PC mother board with onboard video and sound, a CPU, some ram and a cheap memory stick as our storage. Put DOS on the memory stock, with a copy of Q-Basic, and you have a machine for less than $200 that will out perform 100 Maximites.

Or jump on eBay and buy a laptop for $50.

I tend to agree with those that want to leave the Maximite as it, and use expansion cards and updates to the firmware to improve its functionality, but thats just my view. At some point a line has to be drawn, or the maximite will evolve into a PC.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

sparkey

Posted: 04:30am 24 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ok point taken it was just an idea

:i just removed the rtc battry block from a socket seven board "pt-no bq 3287mt
i have the pdf data sheet for it now i will stick it in my bread board and see what comes of this it may well become an easy mod for a rtc to suit the maxi dunno works in progress ..regards sparkey...Edited by sparkey 2011-08-25

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:37am 24 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

And every idea is a good idea, even the bad one's
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

sparkey

Posted: 08:01am 24 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ok would it be possible to piggy back 2 sd card sockets

:the hex code would have to be modded and using syntax like..

:: cd" SD1

:: cd" SD2

: and have a prompt showing "SD1> etc .....Edited by sparkey 2011-08-25

vasi

Guru

Posted: 10:23am 24 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Sparkey,

Look at this little jewelry, is very small, can host your Maximite, can communicate and report to your Bluetooth phone or printer (thought, it don't need that 'cause it can do all your graphs and processing you need and store on SD Cards), can be programmed in freebasic or Gambas or anything, can have a normal PC keyboard and an LCD ... better read the specs:

# Texas Instruments OMAP3530 processor at 600MHz (officially)
# 256MB DDR-333 SDRAM
# 512MB NAND FLASH memory
# IVA2+ audio and video processor using TI's DaVinci™ technology (430MHz C64x DSP)
# ARM® Cortex™-A8 superscalar microprocessor core
# PowerVR SGX530 (110MHz officially) OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant 3D hardware
# integrated Wifi 802.11b/g (up to 18dBm output)
# integrated Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (3Mbps) (Class 2, + 4dBm)
# 800x480 resolution LTPS LCD with resistive touch screen, 4.3" widescreen, 16.7 million colors (300 cd/m2 brightness, 450:1 contrast ratio)
# Dual analog controllers
# Full gamepad controls plus shoulder buttons
# Dual SDHC card slots (up to 64GB of storage currently)
# headphone output up to 150mW/channel into 16 ohms, 99dB SNR (up to 24 bit/48KHz)
# TV output (composite and S-Video)
# Internal microphone plus ability to connect external microphone through headset
# Stereo line level inputs and outputs
# 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
# USB 2.0 OTG port (1.5/12/480Mbps) with capability to charge device
# USB 2.0 HOST port (480Mbps) capable of providing the full 500mA to attached devices (examples include USB memory, keyboard, mouse, 3G modem, GPS)
# up to two externally accessible UARTs and/or four PWM signals for hardware hacking, robot control, debugging, etc.
# un-brickable design with integrated boot loader for safe code experimentation
# Power and hold switch useful for "instant on" and key lockout to aid in media player applications on the go
# Runs on the Linux operating system (2.6.x)
# Dimensions: 140x83.4x27.5mm
# Weight: 335g (with 4000mAh battery)

Is the "RE" PC we need.
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

sparkey

Posted: 10:36am 24 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i`m shure other people have wacky ideas i think that dual sd cards is still in line with maximite lines

but if yo dont try then u will never know and that is a nice piece of jewlry

Edited by sparkey 2011-08-25

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 02:46pm 24 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Why would you need dual SD cards? I've got a 16Gig SD card working with my Maximite. And it will most likely take a few months to fill it if using it for a data logger. More likely years.
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

vasi

Guru

Posted: 03:23pm 24 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you look at it only from a Maximite perspective then you're right. But it is also a full PC, with internet access and you make downloads install programs, store movies and games, etc. and a maximum possible on SD card is (or it was, don't know) around 32Gb. So, you have up to 64Gb on your SD cards, without the need of an USB HDD. When we don't log data (or we are after an exhausting project), we can see a movie or play a game. The included LCD is too small? Then you can connect it to your LCD monitor and you can enjoy all the comforts.

Edited by vasi 2011-08-26
Beyound Arduino Lang

VK6MRG

Guru

Posted: 10:22pm 24 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can't see how we can use the Maximite to play movies?! B&W VGA.
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to seek permission!

............VK6MRG.............VK3MGR............

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:39pm 24 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi, It was about Pandora...

Anyway, if you look here, you will see that everything started from BB Demo from AA (ASCII Art) library project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Jts9eajH0

It was used to play Quake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQaKv2eYOuo&NR=1

And to play movies (you can play any movie in ASCII Art - it is also a color driver):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NZj6uvG7Gw&feature=related

But right now, I think Maximite can "play" something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl473xQdRks

Beyound Arduino Lang

sparkey

Posted: 12:05am 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

if you did have two sd-cards ... you could use the second card for data logging as vasi put foward ...well the trs-80 had twin floppy why cannot the maxi have twin sd`s and as soon as i get my hands onthe complete set of schematics i will deffenatleybe doing some hard whare mods .... my brand new soldering station ... it has a point 2 mm tip hopefully then i can do the nesscary hard whare mods... i have a couple of spare sd card sockets so i will indeed intend on doing the hard whare,,,...regards sparkey

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:25am 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the color version but youtube cut too much from quality when compress the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1jnNLSC1JQ&feature=related

Personally, I don't like the color variant. AA library project had as a target to convince Microsoft to revive the Hercules graphic video cards.
Beyound Arduino Lang

Xiongmao

Posted: 07:16am 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

About the only 'real-world' use I can think of is to be able to change out cards on a logger without interrupting the logging.

sparkey

Posted: 07:40am 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

well ok then how `s this one card holds all your user files prog`s etc and "SD2" holds drivers ,subrouteens that may be quite large in content modified tsr type programs etc the list is end less ands by the way do you still think that 32 gb is its maxium memeroy capacity in an sd-card

Xiongmao

Posted: 08:05am 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well....there's nothing actually wrong with doing it just for it's own sake. I had had the idea earlier myself. It's just that if you are trying to come up with a compelling reason for the NEED for dual cards, you'll be hard pressed.

Heck, most MM users won't have more than a few MB used on the card (if that). The only reason we use 2GB cards is that you can't even buy anything smaller.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024