Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:44 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Maximite II

Xiongmao

Posted: 10:44am 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As has been noted elsewhere, an updated version of the Maximite is being planned for release sometime in the near-ish future.

In the same vein as the Firmware Wish List, I present all with a chance to have their 2-bit's worth on hardware changes they'd like to see.

I'll start with:
1. Change the '695 PIC for the '795, for the full range of I/O
2 Change the linear 5v reg for a switching version to allow for a larger range of input voltage without excessive heat dissipation.
3. Include as standard the RTC as allowed for on the SM1 version.

4. (The big one) Ditch the direct-VGA and keyboard - use this module instead:
http://www.microvga.com/

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:49pm 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

On their site is a demo movie... it seems very slow to me.

In time, I would like to have support for the gameduino shield as someone from this forum already pointed to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWn-6FB4cNQ&feature=player_em bedded
Of course, that is for a Chipkit Max32, or for the future board from Don.

Vasi
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Ray B

Posted: 01:58pm 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Xiongmao before you get shot down in flames especially with the suggestion of removing VGA I'd suggest look at the previous posts - especially Don's Wishlist Post.
Cheers
RayB from Perth WA

Xiongmao

Posted: 09:28pm 25 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I'm not saying "don't have VGA", I'm saying that if it were generated externally, then that would free up a fair chunk of ram that is allocated to the screen map. After all, the answers I've seen given for the lack of use of colour is that it would chew up almost all the ram to do it.

My understanding is that Don's list is primarily concerned with FIRMWARE changes to the CURRENT maximite. This list is for HARDWARE changes for FUTURE maximites - quite a different list, I would have thought.

VASI: point noted, although it's hard to tell if that is due to the vga module or the host system. Also, it doesn't have to be this particular module, I only offer it as an example.

Ray B

Posted: 02:19am 26 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The VGA hardware costs nothing but it chews up resource in RAM & CPU time to service, although it does take up physical space on the board.

Unfair to put extra cost into interfacing to an external daughter board when maybe a system software switch could enable/disable.

my 2 cents worth...
RayB from Perth WA

Xiongmao

Posted: 02:38am 26 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

True, but by the same token, one could also leave the vga board off if not required.

Of course, anyone can develop any hardware they like, but I think that being able to argue for/against features that a better product will come out of it.

haiqu

Posted: 08:01am 26 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

1. The CAN controller? Really? Only useful for interfacing with car electronics. OTOH the difference in price is minimal and they're interchangeable. The Maximite was actually specified as using the 32MX795F512H but most of us used the 32MX695 because of short supply of the original part.
2. LM1117 is $0.30 and switching regulator is over $10.00 so it can't be justified.
3. Provision for adding the RTCC would be — and was, in the case of the SM1 board — appreciated but many people don't need one for casual use.
4. The VGA connector can be totally omitted if you're using the board for Unix. Then a serial console becomes first and most important addition. A colour VGA module is a luxury on this class of hardware and I believe Geoff made a sensible design compromise. If you add such things, soon the hardware is spending all its time servicing only the graphics, which defeats the purpose and turns it into Yet Another Small PC. If you want that, get a PC104 board.

Here's my list for Maximite v2:

1. Use the 32MX695/795 'L' version (100 pin chip) to get more I/O options.
2. Add a serial port as standard, using a Max232.
3. Add provision for RTCC.
4. Keep the PS/2 and VGA as-is but leave tracks to the three VGA pins visible at a terminal for those who want to separate them and add experimental colour support. Currently they're buried under the connector.
5. Keep the pinouts as compatible with v1 as possible to minimise software changes.
6. SMD design preferred. Through-hole is for dinosaurs and magazine editors.

Cheers,

Rob
unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep

Xiongmao

Posted: 09:31am 26 Aug 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You're right about the chip designation, that is what I was intending to say.

I suppose the layout could be arranged to do not only your point 4, but to have the option of either using the 'direct' vga connector or using the same lines to drive the piggyback board - give the user the choice?

I agree completely with the other wishes.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024