Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:04 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Read Me. Guidelines for this section.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:49am 24 Nov 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Posting Guidelines for the Maximites, PicAxes and other micro controllers section of TheBackShed forums.

Due to the many different microcontroller platforms, we've decided to trial a "prefix tag" for new posts. For many years the Piclist (Piclist.com) has used a prefix tag in the subject line of each message to identify the type of message being posted to the forum, like [PIC], [AVR], [SX], etc.

For this forum we can use (MM) for MaxiMite, (DM) for DuinoMite, and this could even be extended to (PX) for Picaxes, and (MC) for all other micro controllers. For example, (PX)Picaxe LCD driver means this is a discussion about the PicAxe microcontroller. You'll notice I've used round brackets instead of square brackets, because this forum software tries to interpret anything inside a square bracket as formatting and we may get some unexpected effects if we use square brackets.

Members will be able to immediately identify what the message contents will be, and anyone with zero interest in the subject matter can skip the message, or at least not complain if they go ahead and read the message.

This also allows readers that have an interest in multiple platforms, to have access to all messages.

If the message crosses several platforms, a tag such as (MM-DM) could be used.

It will be up to the individual poster to add these prefixes, it isn't mandatory, and I would hope that it will be self regulating, which should make your The Back Shed forum visit, a much more enjoyable experience.

As of January 2012 this forum is no longer to be used for Maximite or Duinomite support questions. If you have a firmware bug, want to make a suggestion, etc, then you need to contact the support person or place for your microncontroller module. I've added a list to the bottom of this post.

This forum is here for members who want to share or need help with a microcontroller based project, be it a software application or hardware. Its not here to discuss open source verses closed source, why a controller lacks a feature, etc. Any such posts or posts that I see could cause a flame war will be removed.

Support:

PicAxe : http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/forum.php
Maximite : http://www.maximite.com.au/support
Duinomite : https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?board=9.0
CGMMSTICK : http://www.circuitgizmos.com

Edited by Gizmo 2014-04-18
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

GregZone

Posted: 05:50am 06 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi @Gizmo,

As a new member, I was a little confused by this "Read Me. Guidelines for this section." sticky topic.

In this it states: "As of January 2012 this forum is no longer to be used for Maximite or Duinomite support questions."

Given that I found this forum through an interest in the new Colour Maximite 2, and there are indeed several topics discussing the CMM2, is it simply a case that this guideline is outdated?  (Sorry, I'm not aware of the Maximite background in relation to this January 2012 reference).

I note also that the referenced http://www.maximite.com.au/ domain is no longer responding.

If you can please clarify. I'm just trying to ensure I understand the correct etiquette of the forum.

Thanks & Kind Regards
Greg

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:00am 06 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya.

I expect Gizmo will reply if he feels the need, but from MY interpretation of this thread, the original Maximite(black-and-white) or Duinomite are essentially obsolete now, so discussion of those systems is being phased out and discouraged.

Gizmo said  This forum is here for members who want to share or need help with a micro-controller based project, be it a software application or hardware. Its not here to discuss open source verses closed source, why a controller lacks a feature, etc. Any such posts or posts that I see could cause a flame war will be removed.

You're fine asking about any of the current MM offerings.
The issue is - and I hope I am not paraphrasing Gizmo here - that we have seen a few trolls recently, arguing how they would have done things totally differently, and that their approach would have been far better then the current one on offer.

This forum is very actively policed(by Gizmo), so this kind of thing gets shut-down very quickly, and perhaps Gizmo is just trying to re-enforce that those kinds of: 'This design is excrement!  You should have done it MY way!' topics or posts by NEW members with that attitude, will not be tolerated.

In YOUR case, I think you are fine(as a new member), as you have not done any of that.

EDIT: Opps!  Did not notice that this is a post from Gizmo back in November 2011 - NINE YEARS ago, so you can probably ignore it as far as current posts are concerned, but I still stand by this post.  
Edited 2020-06-06 19:06 by Grogster
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 09:50am 06 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Duinomite still rocks!

YEAH!!!

I still have a dozen of them and the Duinomite fills the gap between a desktop CMM 1 or 2 and the (at least for me) less comfortable MicroMites.

I hope this little helper will also get some MMBASIC Updates in the future.

Andre ... such a GURU?

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 12:12pm 06 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oops - I've failed to use (MM) or the like.

Sorry!

John

flasherror

Posted: 08:07pm 06 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  Duinomite still rocks!

I still have a dozen of them and the Duinomite fills the gap between a desktop CMM 1 or 2 and the (at least for me) less comfortable MicroMites.

I hope this little helper will also get some MMBASIC Updates in the future.

That makes 2 of us. Duinomite Megas are still available, cheaper assembled than CM/CM2 and are still a great choice for many projects.
Edited 2020-06-07 06:08 by flasherror

flasherror

Posted: 08:25pm 06 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  
You're fine asking about any of the current MM offerings.
The issue is - and I hope I am not paraphrasing Gizmo here - that we have seen a few trolls recently, arguing how they would have done things totally differently, and that their approach would have been far better then the current one on offer.

This forum is very actively policed(by Gizmo), so this kind of thing gets shut-down very quickly, and perhaps Gizmo is just trying to re-enforce that those kinds of: 'This design is excrement!  You should have done it MY way!' topics or posts by NEW members with that attitude, will not be tolerated.

If you are referring to a particular person whose increasingly off-topic posts were deleted a little while ago (rightly so IMO) then I agree - but at the same time we all want the community to grow and welcome new users, not alienate them because others have been around longer! The more people who discover the various *mites the better!

The problems with this line of thinking are:
1. It gives the impression that others opinions are not important or worthy of consideration.
2. There is obvious bias against new members which is counterproductive to growing a community.
3. Ideas and comments by people unfamiliar with the project is often useful, because they can see things from a different perspective and are not so emotionally invested in the way things are. It's also worth remembering that most users don't have the time to go through years of messages or have knowledge of design decisions that were previously made.

This isn't a flame or personal attack and shouldn't be interpreted as such. It would be a shame if someone read or inferred that new users aren't welcome here.

GregZone

Posted: 09:03pm 06 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh dear, what have I started?  This single post topic had remained that way for 9 years (since 2011).  

I post a Maximite clarification question yesterday, and now the topic has taken off!  

Oops. But I imagine Gizmo might clean-up after making any needed OP wording edits.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024