Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:08 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM a "DUMB" Terminal ?

Nixie

Posted: 09:55pm 19 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just thought I ask if anyone has been down this path....before I throw myself into seeing if I can turn my HIGHLY INTELLIGENT Mono MM into a dumb terminal for use with packet radio, for emergency communications.

I'm a member of WICEN....and utilising the MM as a low power terminal would be excellent.

Thanks in advance, Nic.

VK3COW .....on a cattle property in Western Victoria.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:59pm 19 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That should be no problem.
Packet is slow 1200 baud usually so there is plenty of time for the MM to digest the data.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Nixie

Posted: 10:25pm 19 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I have a Kenwood TH-D7 2m/70cm with a built-in AX25 packet modem. So I'll start with that.
Ii'l be taking a break for a couple of weeks, time to think! N.

mbramwel

Posted: 08:25am 20 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am also a ham. The terminal emulator would be the easy part.

What do you envision as the total setup? keyboard/monitor/power?

Would this be any better than a netbook with a decent battery?

I should note that I have recently thought about the same thing and have dusted off my old TNCs.Edited by mbramwel 2013-08-21

Nixie

Posted: 12:01am 21 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,
I'm looking at it from the perspective of what I already have on-hand.

My initial idea is to use the rig (above) in a /p situation with an LCD screen, though my 12 v screen is rather small and composite video. I haven't tried the MM on the small screen yet....

You do have a valid point about using a netbook, but I have to investigate costs; and then balance it against the effort in writing the MMBASIC software. But then the intellectual challenge and the satisfaction of having developed an application using the MM does have an appeal <grin>

I'd be interested in your further thoughts. Packet radio on VHF/UHF has almost disappeared here in Oz.
However it is still used for message handling by WICEN. It is still often heard on HF.
73, Nic.

mbramwel

Posted: 08:06am 21 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I used to be HEAVILY into packet radio including 900mhz TCP/IP @ 2meg/sec
I had an email system that used KA9Q AX.25 to gateway onto the public Internet and eventually I made it Novell server compatible.
(Google Mark Bramwell VIEW MAILER)

APRS is used by many people around here (London, Ontario, Canada). If I put my radio on the APRS frequency, I hear lots of traffic 24x7, but could be mainly beacons.

I was wondering if a 4x20 LCD would give enough visible detail to be useful. It is unfortunate that all of the arduino LCD shields are only 2 lines otherwise it would be a pre-made easy to use device. A MM terminal emulator could have some scroll-back memory if the message goes off the screen.

I have a 40x4 screen and will probably do something with it when the weather gets colder (still hot here in the North-West part of the planet).

Perhaps a LCD and board mounted inside a keyboard.

You and I are thinking in reverse to most people. I see lots of messages on how to use a terminal emulator to access the DM. You and I are trying to use the DM as a terminal to another smart device.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 11:33am 21 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Packet has disappeared from my area also but a local has started up his BBS again for TCPIP only.
The problem is, the usual packet programs are not 32 bit and don't run on many newer PC's.
It is my aim to write a basic Packet application to get some of the newer Amateurs interested in Packet and we might even get it going over 2 meters again.

I do have APRS in the truck and there is a 7 inch display there as well (used for a reversing camera) so It would be relatively easy to have a read-only APRS setup but a keyboard would take up more room.

Seeing that I also have a netbook for mapping in the truck, I don't think I will use a Maximite....

Maybe in the caravan where all the hardware exists.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

mbramwel

Posted: 11:57am 21 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ha! I had to correct my thinking.... when I read your message "The problem is, the usual packet programs are not 32 bit and don't run ...." I thought "what????" they are 64bit only???

Had to correct myself and remember they are probably older DOS and 16-bit apps.

Many years ago, I had the AX.25 driver in Linux and was able to use a KISS TNC from the Linux command prompt. I have not checked but does that driver still exist in current kernels? Any chance it could be bound as an IP interface in Linux? If so, all normal Linux network programs would work.

The next big step would be to have a router in the trunk of the car with wifi turned on that gateway'd local traffic onto packet back to your house and then onto the public Internet. 1200 baud would be a problem but maybe it would respark the hunt for faster packet alternatives (instead of ancient TNC2).

TJ: What do you envision for the packet app? Serial Terminal emulator with macro keys? Or a TCP/IP app? If the AX.25 driver existed, normal TCP/IP calls can be used. Otherwise you need to fully support the protocol in your app.
Edited by mbramwel 2013-08-22

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 01:55pm 21 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The packet program will be similar to a very basic winpak.
I will start with TCPIP and logon scripts for the BBS.
For the newcommers, automating 7plus is a good thing to do.

AGWPE is still being supported so that is an easy way to get RF working.

A lot of the terminal code is similar to talking to the maximite so developing both is handy.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:10pm 21 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A bit off topic - sorry - but is there a way to try to track down someone who uses (or used to use) the KA9Q packet stuff? He's an ex-work friend who's a radio amateur I've lost contact with :(

I don't know his UK call sign (is that the right term?), either!

Any chance? How?

John

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:34pm 22 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

John,
If you send a PM with his name, I can try to look him up.
Not all amateurs are listed on the databases I have access to but it is worth a try.

Or:
you could try a lookup here:
http://hamcall.net/call
The advanced search lets you search by name.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:27am 23 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks!
pm sent

John

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024