Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:23 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : DM and ATX supplies

Blackened

Posted: 01:34am 24 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello all,

This would seem a bit of a no-brainer, but thought I'd ask just in case I've read the specs wrong.

I'm planning to use an old ATX power supply in my project. Looks like the standby current will be sufficient for just about all my needs, but I will need 12V for the case fan when the temperature starts to climb, and I plan to use the 12V to drive a pump once the bits n bobs turn up from China.

Am I correct in assuming I can switch the ATX on by connecting the power-on lead to a pin configured for open collector, to pull it low? The specs say the power-on lead is pulled high (5V) by the ATX, and will switch on once pulled low.

Thanks everyone!! Just want to make sure I'm not going to fry anything

Gordz

Posted: 07:44pm 24 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have used ATX power supplies for stuff before and a standard TTL type signal is fine for switching it on and off. I found that I needed a 100mA load on the +5 to keep it alive though so I connected a 5v fan permanently. Later I found a brand that had an integrated fan and did not need the minimum load.

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 08:28pm 24 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Shorting the green wire to ground will activate the PSU, but as has been said a load is normally required to get a stable output on both 5v and 12v rails, the easiest method i find is to leave an old 3.5 floppy drive connected to the PSU and you will get good stable voltages out.

Good pinout information here......

http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Blackened

Posted: 02:00am 25 Aug 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Gordz and Pete,

I forgot that I'd need the 12V for a 7inch composite LCD monitor too, so that's the 12V load taken care of. Will I still need a dummy load for either the PSUs 5V or 3.3V? I'll be drawing power from the 5V standby, and 12V standard lines unless advised otherwise. Could I just bridge the 5V standby and the normal 5V?

Man I need new glasses!! You don't know how bad your eyes have become until you start trying to read resistor bands, even having trouble soldering the finer wires together.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024