Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:37 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : TZBlox is now Microblocks (logocontest)

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 04:12am 05 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After a long hard think i decided to concentrate more on manufacturing complete products instead of just the pcb's.
The scope of the blocks has been widened to include electronic, mechanical, electrical, software and building. These are all areas of interest to me and will allow a product range that can be combined.

The 'shop' is being filled with usefull tools.
Today another machine arrived, a Sieg SC4 lathe so we are again a little step closer to our goal. Still waiting for a lasercutter, mini injection mold and pad printer. :)

One of the projects will be to make modules that combined will make a pick&place machine. This will allow to test many kinds of modules and it will help with fully assembled pcbs. The market is flooded with 3d printers and cnc, both projects i worked on before but is becoming almost a commodity and profitability is very low unless you can have high volume. Also the chance of things being blatently copied is much lower. Competitors (cheap ebay knockoffs) will have to do much more effort.
The planned 'blox' will still be first to be made, but now it will be all in-house except producing the pcbs.

If anyone knows of lumenlab, i will have to take care that i don't make the same mistakes and only design things that can scale easy.
I have read the following post from someone many times to let that really sink in.
http://peerbhairobotics.com/2012/08/23/lumenlab-micro-postmo rtem/

With the new name comes a new logo and i have started a contest for it.
It can be found on https://www.freelancer.com/contest/Design-a-Logo-for-a-new-p roduct-line-40894.html

edit: fixed links.Edited by TZAdvantage 2013-10-06
Microblocks. Build with logic.

James_From_Canb

Posted: 02:53pm 05 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi TZ.

I read the article. It was interesting and instructive.

If you want to avoid customers being disgruntled by long delivery delays, you have another alternative - a variation on the very practical option 1, which was selling at a price that is higher than all your costs.

Sell everything on eBay with a starting price of the true cost plus a reasonable margin and let the bidders decide the final price. During times of high demand you get higher prices. During times of low demand you get your starting price, or no sales at all. There will never be a problem with customers being disgruntled about backorders. If you have popular products the market will reward you with higher prices. If they're unpopular you're in the same situation as if you were selling from your own web site at a fixed price.

If demand continues to be high long term, consider the other options such as outsourcing production, or just live with the higher prices you will get.

Just a thought bubble....

James

My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles (1974)

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 09:35pm 05 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for your thoughts. It is indeed a good way to see what a product is worth.

I am currently visiting some small factories to determine the conditions for easy production.
Plastic injection molding can be done wrong in so many ways it is really a profession that benefits from knowledge and experience. I am lucky that i have a good contact who is teaching me the basics.
The machines i bought are for prototyping and low production. If something takes off and quantities are needed i must take care that production is possible for competitive prices. I will be able to produce aluminum molds that can be used at least a few thousand times, machining specific parts from stock will be minimized as that will take the most time, using standard available parts would be better.

I am taking it slow, as i do this preparing next to a full time job.
Kickstarter is also a good place to learn from, many mistakes are made there and some are executed very well. It seems that simple and affordable are the most successful.

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 03:12pm 12 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Any update on the pcb TZ ? I need a small board
with pic32mx, ordinary serial comms as well as USB,
solid power supply, just vanilla
(BTW PM is full)

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 09:58pm 12 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Chronic,

A few pcbs are out of beta. I am still busy designing a few blocks so that i have a range when i go public and on sale.
Meanwhile the new 32MZ is getting closer so i would like to make sure it works ok with that series too.

The one that look svery similar is this:
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5934

The red part is the PIC32MX module that can be interchanged with a PIC32MZ module.
I should get a few samples in november to continue work on it.

Earliest that things will be available is januari/februari as in the meanwhile i have to go through a lot of red tape setting up shop. Thailand is not an easy country for a foreigner, lots of limitations.

Edited by TZAdvantage 2013-10-14

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024