Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:56 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Problem with ultrasonic range

Page 6 of 6    
WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 05:15pm 18 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Greg,

Have you tried pointing the unit at a wall around 3.5 metres away (and no chairs or anything else potentially in the way). I was able to get up to 3.9 metres very consistently with my module (which is exactly the same layout as the one in Franks photo). Just that the 2.8meters you are peaking at seems a little too short of the claimed 4.5m.

I did find that if objects were in the potential 'line-of-sight' of the module then the reading became rather erratic - guess that should be expected.

The other word of warning as I previously posted is NOT to try detect/measure an object which absorbs UltraSonic.
Seems an obvious thing to say but I kept wondering how my wife kept coming into the room without her being seen by the unit. Turned out it was her 'fluffy' dressing gown absorbing all waves and a value of -1 being returned whenever she approached. Bearing in mind the unit was pointing into free space (and hence already returning -1) it gave the effect that she was undetectable!

The problem was immediately solved by removing her gown . . . . .
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

paceman
Guru

Posted: 07:59pm 18 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Who removed it?

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:10pm 18 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Now you can sell her gown on e-bay as a cloaking unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V1PwpoDqzM

Or maybe not...
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Grassy

Posted: 02:56pm 21 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I recently bought 2 of the cheap eBay HC-SR04 ultrasonic modules hoping they would be ok with the Micromite. Unfortunately they both seem to be limited to a distance of around 70cm.
I have tested them in the open by slowly moving a large sheet of cardboard away until the distance reading didn't increase any more. One works to a maximum of around 70 cm while the other works to about 85 cm but then the readings get very unstable.
I found this thread after doing a search on the forums and have tried TassyJim's tester program as well but get exactly the same results. NB I had to increase the trigger width substantially to around 6ms as noted elsewhere to get it to work.
I can only assume as has been pointed out many times before on this forum that you get what you pay for.
As my project requires a distance measurement of at least 3 meters, can I ask if anyone can recommend a good quality sensor that is known to work up to at least this distance.

Tony

Bizzie

Posted: 03:19pm 21 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I bought similar units from Ebay. They work fine to 2.5m I have not tested them beyond that as my application only required less than 1m.

3m is the limit of these sensors from what I have read.

These sensors look good but much more expensive - Distance sensor

Rob White

Page 6 of 6    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024