Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:20 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Quick WATCHDOG question....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:47pm 28 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is for the full-size MM, but I guess will also apply to the MicroMite chip too.

The MM manual, page 36, under WATCHDOG command, mentions that:

Quote  If the timer count does reach zero (perhaps because the BASIC program
has stopped running) the PIC32 processor will be automatically
rebooted.

This is NOT resetting MMBASIC - correct? This command will actually cause the PIC32 to reset, thus re-running MMBasic from the very begginning?

I just want to confirm that watchdog is not just a soft-reset for MMBasic, but rather a full hardware reset, if you know what I am getting at. Essentially the same as if I had pulled the MCLR pin on the device low, albeit via a MMBasic command.

I am pretty sure it is, but I just want to check that it is - assumption being the mother of all feck-ups....
Edited by Grogster 2014-03-30
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Lou

Posted: 05:43am 29 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogs, I'm interested in that answer also.

Geoff, please chime in.

Also Geoff, is there any way in software even through a backdoor or Poke to effectively hard reset the uMite without using the watchdog, and maybe set the MM.WATCHDOG flag?? That could be handy in some debugging applications.

Thanks, Lou
Microcontrollers - the other white meat

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 07:12am 29 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Details here: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/61114E.pdf

So it is practically the same as if the device is reset by pulling the MCLR line low.

Keep in mind that external components using that same MCLR signal to reset themselves will not be reset by the watchdog.

The internal peripherals will reset, meaning that if there is something connected to the microcontroller you will have to make sure that when all the pins are back in there initial state nothing bad happens.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024