Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:14 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Cheap PCB Switch

jman

Guru

Posted: 11:08pm 02 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

Thought I would pass this one on
http://www.banggood.com/100pcs-Mini-Micro-Momentary-Tactile- Tact-Switch-Push-Button-DIP-P4-p-917570.html
Switch
100 PCB mount switch's for $2.00 including shipping
I bought a pack and well worth the $2.00

Regards
JmanEdited by jman 2014-04-04

MOBI
Guru

Posted: 01:10am 03 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jman,

Not quite the same topic (close) but years ago I used to make membrane keypads out of a square of PCB, strips of masking tape and alfoil. The alfoil was raised above the PCB the thickness of the masking tape. You could press the "pad" down with a biro and it always released when the biro was removed. You could cover the "pads" with a printed overlay for identification and I never had a failure. I used them for games annunciators.

There is no reason why they couldn't fit on a MCU board with other components and use the MCU board as the back plane for the switches? Quick and dirty.
David M.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:28am 03 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jman,

As unbelievably cheap as they are Look what can be found on ebay!

Switches

Factoring in US-Aus exchange rates of your $2 makes it about $2.22 (who cares they are so cheap) but this link is $1.79 AUS (about $1.50 US)

How can they do it? I couldnt post them to an adress across the road for that price but they make them ship them at least twice and still, presumably, make a profit.

Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 12:11pm 03 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I recently bought a big batch of very cheap 32.768 Khz watch crystals from China.
What I discovered was that when I checked the frequencies, all of them were either slightly low or slightly high in frequency, with very few spot on.
For my application it did not matter.

I suspect these are mass produced and subsequently go through some kind of automatic testing, and the rejects sold at minimal cost instead of just being thrown out in the rubbish.

It could be that representative sample switches from a large production batch are tested, and if there is a high failure rate, its cheaper to throw out the whole lot than test every single switch individually.

At that price its certainly still a very good deal for the hobbyist.
Just be aware that if things are sold very cheap, there is usually a reason.
Cheers,  Tony.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024