Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:44 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Suggestions for next MaxiMite MMBasic ver

psergiu

Posted: 07:38pm 12 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff,

If possible, after releasing the uMite and its mysterious VT100 companion, can you please add the following improvements to MM-Basic for the full-size MaxiMites ?

1) CLR$() & COLOR/COLOUR support for the B&W MM/DM - 0 is black, all other values are white.

2) Mode 4 support for B&W MM/DM - a single memory page used, 0 is black, everything else is white.

(or, if you use two memory pages, 0 is black, 7 is white and intermediate values are displayed as flickering between white & black at every screen redraw. I don't know if this will look like some sort of gray or will be the most epileptic seizure inducing thing ever )

Thanks !

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 08:18pm 12 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting. OK, they are on my to-look-at list.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

psergiu

Posted: 06:01am 28 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Some more suggestions:

1) A way for allocating more sprites in memory than are defined in a sprite file.

The SPRITE COPY command requires that the target sprite ID should be an existing one.
If you want to have a sprite pattern SPRITE COPY-ed to a lot of sprites so it appears multiple times on the screen, you have to define all those target sprites in the sprite file - even if they are just lines with 16 spaces.

So i propose either:

1a) You can specify in first line of the sprite file more sprites that actually exist and every sprite past the end of the file to be allocated as an empty sprite.

Example:

==
... 16 lines total of sprite data for one single sprite...
==
When loaded, this load the first one as sprite 1 and sprites 2-10 are allocated as empty transparent ones.

-OR-
1b) SPRITE LOAD "file" [,number]

Loads "number" sprites in memory (less or more than actually defined in the sprite file)

2) SPRITE COPY and SPRITE PASTE examples for Appendix H in the MMBasic Language manual. I can help with this one (if you want).

elproducts

Posted: 01:57pm 28 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff,
With the increased memory PIC32MX270 would it be possible to create a Micromite that didn't need the Serial to USB adapter using the built in USB?Edited by elproducts 2014-04-29
www.elproducts.com

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 07:10pm 28 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I am still figuring out what the extra flash and RAM could be used for and that is an excellent idea. Other candidates include a bootloader, WiFi, web server, etc.

I have a number of other projects on the go so it will quite a few months before get around to doing anything about it.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 08:11pm 28 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

would it perhaps be possible to have a published list, with estimates of flash space consumed and effort to make each suggestion work? if you were agreeable to that approach, of course. then the community could see it all written down in one place and 'vote' (in some orderly yet still informal way) for the things they felt would be most useful.

in the past (and not only on here) i have often seen good ideas put forward, then shot down by just one or two people who don't like an idea and display a 'negative determination' to block it. casting 'votes for' is a much more positive approach.

personally, i've got a handful of small things i'd like to see enhanced, most of which would consume little extra flash and be relatively simple to implement.

rob :-)

elproducts

Posted: 01:22am 30 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is one more ideas for the expanded memory: keyboard, sd card and VGA output option.
That way a DIP version of Maximite could be produced.

The I/O would be limited but there would be enough for serial or i2c expansion through a MicroMite or other external chips.

I have 8-bit projects that would be great teamed with a Maximite front end and a 28 pin DIP maximite would make it easy to build.
www.elproducts.com

vasi

Guru

Posted: 04:37am 30 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One feature that, in my opinion, Micromite will benefit immensely is this... but first let me present a Pinguino feature, "self replication".

This allows Pinguino to spread all over the world like a "disease" (reprap principle).
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

donmck

Guru

Posted: 10:59am 30 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"I'll be bark"
Could be the rise of the machines.

But what a concept, and something that has been mentioned in various threads already by many members.

Can you brew me a Terminator T-800 Model 101?

Cheers Don...
https://www.32v8.com/d

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:28am 30 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, it has been mentioned already (and this topic tries to find a solution) but looking at Geoff's planning for the extra Flash space, I thought the replication feature must be mentioned again.

But Topio may be close to what Don requires.

Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024