Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:52 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Silicon Chip May 2014

Page 3 of 3    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:26am 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, you have the 2nd of 3rd copy.

I will PM you with the total cost.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

BobD

Guru

Posted: 12:47am 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I see that you can buy the May 2014 issue of Silicon Chip from the back issues section of their shop but it is not yet showing in the main web site. Strange.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 03:14am 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Even stranger that Grogs has got his in NZ but my subscription one hasn't arrived yet in Melbourne. Hope it didn't get knocked off from the letter box over my Easter holiday!

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 03:22am 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

paceman said   . . . Hope it didn't get knocked off from the letter box over my Easter holiday!

See the 'danger' of giving me your postal address to send you your Modules. Bit of a wait for it to be delivered to you but worth the wait. Thanks for the magazine I'll return it when I've finished with it!!
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

paceman
Guru

Posted: 03:46am 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh, it was you Phil - that's OK then, I trust you . I was a bit worried the issue would sell out and I'd miss out! Just send it back when you're done - Grog's won't mind .

Greg

atmega8

Guru

Posted: 10:37am 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can you send it also to me?
I' ll send it back when finished reading!
DS.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 10:49am 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No problem atmega8 - Anyone else want the magazine circulated before we send it back to Paceman?
Im sure he won't mind waiting a couple of months (like the online subscribers by the sound of things!)
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

plasma
Guru

Posted: 11:29am 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

what do you think about this :

every member who ask for need to send the price from journal to you , you bought for every one who sends you the money one journal and make a pdf from .

sending per email and all is fine .

i think this is a clean way or ?

BobD

Guru

Posted: 11:40am 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Too complicated and too slow. Why not just buy a one off paper copy at AU$9.05 (no AU tax for international) and AU$8.00 postage to the UK. That postage is probably much the same for most mainstream destinations. Last time I looked they had 91 copies of May 2014 left for sale as BACK issues.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 01:12pm 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

plasma said   what do you think about this :

every member who ask for need to send the price from journal to you , you bought for every one who sends you the money one journal and make a pdf from .

The Australian copyright lawyers would have a field day.

I still haven't received my subscription copy in the mail. A holiday today so Monday at the earliest.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

jebz

Posted: 02:16pm 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  
I still haven't received my subscription copy in the mail. A holiday today so Monday at the earliest.

Jim

Mine hasn't arrived in Brisbane yet either!

I wish they'd ditch the current online magazine presentation and make it more usable. A reason for subscribing to electronic editions is so you can read them on portable devices. It's also clumsy to zoom and navigate even with a desktop.

BobD

Guru

Posted: 02:40pm 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jebz said  
I wish they'd ditch the current online magazine presentation and make it more usable. A reason for subscribing to electronic editions is so you can read them on portable devices. It's also clumsy to zoom and navigate even with a desktop.

One of the reasons I stopped my online sub was that the text quality was always second rate no matter how I adjusted the display. Try zooming SilChip near the bottom of the page and the right click menu won't even appear.

I am a paid subscriber to an Australian newspaper and they manage to put out a good quality image of the paper behind a paywall without using Flash. It can also be zoomed, scrolled and printed without difficulty.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:46pm 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  
  plasma said   what do you think about this :

The Australian copyright lawyers would have a field day.

Absolutely they would, and rightly so. The mag is not that hard or expensive to source legally, and just post to those who can't buy it locally. That is perfectly legal, it just costs a little more by the time you add the postage, but - C'est La Vie...

Do any of the Australian members here with SC subscriptions just want me to buy it here in NZ and post it to you? (rhetorical!)

I got my issue from Jaycar - they always seem to have the issues much earlier then any other book shop. Well, here in NZ anyway...

paceman
Guru

Posted: 04:25pm 24 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bob/Jeb,

Yes I agree, the online edition still needs plenty of work. I've got a subscription to it courtesy of the magazine sub but hardly ever use it. It's better now than it was a year or so ago but I don't think ol' Leo's heart is in it! He's more an energy industry lobbyist cum politician these days considering the crap he spouted in the April editorial - pity, because his tech articles are good.

I had an on-line sub to "Nuts and Volts" a couple of years ago and I thought their presentation was very good. The only problem was the whole thing was so full of ads it was difficult to find the articles so I gave it a miss after a year.

Greg

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:55pm 25 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had a read of the April editorial, based on comments here, and yeah - it does seem a little odd, cos wind or water power IS very possible, easy enough(provided you have the water or wind), relatively cheap and do-able, so odd he would be saying to hell with the environment, and build more coal-fuelled power stations etc. Even Nuclear power - crikey. Has not Chernobyl and the more recent Fukushima incidents taught us nothing? Nuclear power IS efficient, until something goes wrong, then you can't put the brakes on the fuel rods...

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:34pm 25 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah the editorial has been like that for the last few years, one month its relevant to the magazines content, other times its a political anti everything rant that makes little sense, and has no place in a electronics hobbyist magazine.

But I think we should move on and leave this post for the articles Geoff has put together and other articles in the May edition. Maybe save the magazines editorial content and online edition problems for another post at a later date.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024