Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:19 18 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Futurlec

Page 2 of 2    
Talbit

Posted: 10:01pm 17 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Finally !!!
Arrived on Friday. That's a good 7 weeks. But still no reply's as to why the big delay only that my VISA card info wasn't 100% but that wouldn't have been the main holdup.
Talbit
Talbit

Lou

Posted: 02:44pm 20 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Congrats Talbit
Finally !!!
Arrived on Friday. That's a good 7 weeks. But still no reply's as to why the big delay only that my VISA card info wasn't 100% but that wouldn't have been the main holdup.
Talbit

I emailed Futurlec about 3 seperate orders I placed on March 27th. They emailed back in about 36 hours and said each order had 1 or 2 parts out of stock and gave me options to cancel or receive substitute parts. I canceled where there was no sub and accepted the substitute parts for the for the remaining. I also requested they email me when the parts ship, we'll see, I will post here when I get the parts.

The items they said were out of stock on my orders showed in stock when I ordered and still show in stock today on their website.

I have already reordered most of the missing parts I needed from ebay (as Greg suggested) and other suppliers, some are already up and running while I wait for Futurlec. Go figure.

Lou
Microcontrollers - the other white meat

Goeytex

Posted: 06:22am 21 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have used Futurlec twice. Both times the orders took well over a month to arrive.

Waiting a month (or more) for components (that can be purchased from a more reputable
supplier) is not something that interests me. It is not worth the few dollars or
cents that might be saved.

When "cheap" is the main specification for parts & components, then many times you
usually get what you pay for: Dubious quality, counterfeits, no datasheets, and poor
service.

Many people think that stuff is generally cheaper from Futurlec. However I just did
a small sample comparison that showed that they are actually more expensive on many
items that can be purchased from Mouser,Digikey,RS,Farnell, etc.

IMO, Futurlec = Buyer Beware

Edited by Goeytex 2014-05-22

Talbit

Posted: 11:00am 21 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Goeytex,
I agree but the reason I bought these last items from Futurlec was because they were the only guys who would sell me a few of them. Mouser & Digikey only sold in large quantities. Element14 (Farnell) and RS didn't have them. So I shouldn't complain. I got them eventually. Futurlec do sell some nice stuff. They have a very nice SPI 8 digit LED display which was prefect for one of my GPS clocks. I'll probably still use them when I need to I guess. I just wished they'd lift their game. Competition must be tough out there and they simply won't survive at this rate.
Regards to all
Talbit
Talbit

Lou

Posted: 06:46pm 21 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

Futurlec emailed back and listed the parts substituted and the parts removed from my orders and said all three orders have shipped and gave me two registered shipping numbers to cover the three orders. They said the cost of the removed parts would be added to my card.

I guess the bottom line is to order parts then email them for order status to find out if the parts are in stock, straighten out the parts out of stock if any, and wait to see what happens. I think I'm getting a headache.

The waiting game begins again, hopefully I'll get the parts in 2 to 3 weeks. I'll post and be done with Futurlec, it doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Lou

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 09:36pm 21 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Anyone know from where they ship.
I have a feeling that most of those parts come from Thailand.
They have an office a few hundred meters from where i live.
I might be able to pick up things locally and ship it quicker then they can.

What parts are interesting from futurlec that can not be bought elsewhere?

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Lou

Posted: 05:37pm 22 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TZA, this is part of the email I got from Fururlec:
This order will be shipped today via standard post from our Asia distribution center Thailand with the registered shipping number RK419337983DE

So yes, they must ship at least some of their stuff if not all from Thailand.

Do they have a storefront near your house?? That would be nice just to go shopping like at Radio Shack.

What parts are interesting from futurlec that can not be bought elsewhere?

Nothing you can't get elsewhere, it's just kind of a one stop shop with the variety of parts they sell.

Lou

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 07:20pm 22 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting. The place close to my house is just an office.
They probably have their warehouse nearby.
The one thing i suspect though is that they do not have much in stock and just order it from other places. Otherwise why should it take so long to fulfill an order.
I use normal shipping and to Australia/New Zealand it takes about ten days.

There are many places like 'Radio Shack'. I often go to Ban Mohr where there are hundreds of little shops that sell everything related to electronics, close by there is also an area for anything mechanical, and tools.
However those areas are mostly good for buying hobby stuff and one offs as most stuff are stock leftovers and second hand parts.

A few large shops and electronics distributors also have their main location in Ban Mohr as it is the hot spot for electronics. They are very good places and have everything new directly from the factory and have large stock. I get my parts from them, order online and within two days (sometimes same day when using a courier) i have it.

Talbit

Posted: 08:38pm 22 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My orders from Futurlec have always come through Singapore.
Talbit
Talbit

paceman
Guru

Posted: 12:18am 23 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've had them from Singapore and Thailand.
Greg

Lou

Posted: 04:20am 25 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Talbit, paceman,

This is the return address from my Futurlec order about a year ago:
FUTURLEC
1108/15-16 Sukhumvit Rd
Phrakanonh Klongtoey
Bangkok 10110 Thailand

TZA, is that near your house ??

Lou

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 05:50am 25 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes. Same zipcode. :)
It is about 5 minutes.

Talbit

Posted: 05:45pm 25 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TZA,
Maybe you could become their agent!
Talbit
Talbit

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 07:23am 26 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I might.
It would only work if they have a physical warehouse/shop nearby.
I will check them out this week.

trevoz

Posted: 11:01pm 06 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Talbit said   My orders from Futurlec have always come through Singapore.
Talbit

I've had Futurlec.com and .com.au packages from Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand.

I tend to order quite a few items at a time and the "in stock - out of stock" item(s) is/are always what holds up an order. I can usually get an email response and find out what's holding up an order and simply get the item(s) dropped. If I only order a few different items, they've been known to turn up in 10 days.

The delays are acceptable (to me) given the pricing (after cf eBay, AliExpress).

Lou

Posted: 07:01pm 11 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys,

My Futurlec history, the final chapter:
I placed three separate orders from Futurlec on March 27th.
I Heard nothing until I Emailed Futurlec May 20 and found out some parts on all 3 orders out were of stock, I had them delete some parts and substitute another part.
May 22nd they said all three orders shipped.
I received two orders on June 5th, two weeks later.
I received the last order today, 2 weeks and 6 days after they shipped.

My conclusion:
Their claim of delivery in 2 to 3 weeks was accurate, the hang-up was out-of-stock parts. All out-of-stock parts showed in stock when I ordered, all showed in-stock every time I checked, and still show in-stock today.
I guess when ordering parts from Futurlec you must email them in a few days about your order status to find out if the parts are really in stock. They seem content to take your money right away and sit on your order until they get it all together, not telling you anything. The parts from Futurlec look OK, I haven't tried any of them except the displays.
All three Futurlec orders shipped from Niederaula Germany via Deutshe Post.

I am working with Zonker on the LDC display board he recently posted and really needed the displays I ordered from Futurlec. When they didn't come I ordered some displays from Mouser to test, so the project went on. When I tested the Futurlec displays last week, they were all rather dim, not easy to read and sub-standard in my opinion compared to the Mouser displays. I'm glad the Futurlec displays didn't come sooner or I would never have known how much better other displays looked (at the same price).
By the way, I saw the display on MicroMite.com and it looks very similar to the Mouser display (again, at the same price). And Zonker's LCD display board plugs right on the back of Phil's display, a perfect fit.

I guess it all works out in the end.

Lou

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024