Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:28 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MuP

Page 2 of 2    
bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:41pm 29 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

paceman said   that'd have to be a record: from inception to production to inventory and then customer via the post!

Hi Greg,

I have to admit you are right... I only submitted the PCB to the PCB Fab 2 weeks ago exactly.. Considering Anzac day public Holiday as well, pretty impressive.. I often wait more than that for stuff to be just posted (supposedly) from Aus companies.

paceman said  
but here are some quick thoughts for V2 if you're doing it.

1. Pullups could be optional via jumpers or solderlink.
2. Same for the 1K resistor on the pin12 Rx line in.
3. Putting all connector headers and the PIC on a 0.1" grid would make using it with proto boards a doddle - the components don't need to be on the grid.

Yes Vasi suggested the pullups and links but realistically, where would I fit them without the jumpering section around J6-J8 being very crowded and confusing..??

The 1k Resistor is the one thing I feel like adding and a jumper to short it out if not wanted.

I do agree with the 0.1" spacing of headers and I generally try to do that but I have been learning AUTOTRAX DEX
and I wasnt really proficient with it, I struggled with many things in the learning process and this was one that I missed. I DID finish the PCB whilst I was away on Holidays so I had to juggle PCB work and family as well as the new PCB program.

One thing I did make sure of was that the two headers (J4 and J5) WERE on even 0.6" centres so you could plug it into a matrix board. I have thought about a daughter board to plug in to provide USB-TTL and maybe LEDs etc but I am wondering what would be the point if that was all I was to put on it.

My stock is dwindling away and I have contacted SITOPWAY for a cost on re-runs of the PCB. They got back to me and the cost is the same and as China closes for 3 days starting tomorrow, I have till next week to think of what I can do to enhance the board, if indeed I do a Ver 2. I am still happy with it as it stands and I hope those that put their faith in me that bought them will be happy as well.

Regards,

Mick

Edited by bigmik 2014-05-01
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 11:08pm 29 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If people want those things adding.... can't you just make the boards a bit bigger?

I gather that's heresy but don't know why.

John

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:42pm 29 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi John,

Not heresy...

I CAN make the board a bit wider I wanted it to be below 50mm x50mm and I have 6mm to spare one way.. It is something to think about.....

I have just been playing around with some 3v3 cables I just picked up from Don.

Dontronics 3v3 Cable and they are absolutely magnificent..

I had to change the wiring on the plug to suit the MuP (left CTS/RTS unconnected and juggled the position of the VCC (which is 5V) and RX/TX).. And they worked straight away..

Even on my WIN8.1 box..

I will get stuck into finishing the manual and see what I can do to improve the functionality in a Ver 2.

Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:46pm 30 Apr 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gday Lads, Lasses, Bald headed babies,

I know its only been 2 days since the MuP was available but I still feel bad that there wasnt a manual on offer.

Well Here it is, finally.

It may change and I am open to criticism so that we can all benefit. I tried to do photos to replace a lot of the screen captures of the PCB but personally I felt that the screen captures looked better.

All in all I am quite happy with how its panned out.

Damn... Max file size for upload is 500kb Mine is 1MB

Temporally I have put in on my system (just a USB stick in my Router) but it ultimately cant stay there forever..
When I get a better place to publish it I will update the location here.

MuP Manual

Regards,

Mick

PS. There is a small MP4 file there ... a left over from Christmas... Look at it if you like but dont blame me if you feel nauseated after watching it..

Regards,

Mick

EDIT***

Thanks to the generosity of TassyJim, offering to host the MuP manual, I have a new permanent home for the manual.

It can be found Here.

I will keep mine going in parallel for a week or so.

Thanks again Jim,

Regards,

Mick

Edited by bigmik 2014-05-03

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:27pm 05 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Lads,

MuP ERRATA

I am in the process of redesigning MuP V2 to add the options of Pullups on I2C and a 1k Resistor in the Rx line to allow a 5V TTL converter to be used.

In the process I have discovered that the labelling of the I2C header block J6 is reversed. (J7 is OK)

The correct Order should be Dat Clk 3/5 Gnd (I had Clk Dat 3/5 Gnd)

My humble apologies to anybody tearing out their hair trying to work out why their I2C wasn't working.

Regards,

Mick (humbly flagellating myself)

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:26pm 05 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Updated manual now available.

It can be found Here.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

ajkw

Posted: 01:08am 06 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mick,

My boards arrived today, they look great. Many thanks!

Now waiting for the brains from Silicon chip and some other bits from China in order to put them to work.

No worries with the clk-dat-clk.

Cheers,
Anthony.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:11am 06 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gday Anthony,

Glad to hear that.

Sorry about the Clk-Dat-Clk I can't believe I did that .. I checked it several times and still got it wrong..

Regards,

Mick

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 07:55am 08 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mick,

What would be the correct way to program and power the Mup from a PicKit3 when VR3 is mounted?

If i connect the PicKit3 then both led's are on indicating that current is flowing from the 5v line through the red led. That means there is a current going through the Voltage regulator. I measured 3.2v on both 3.3v and 5v nets.
The 5v net gets enough current for at least the led.

I don't see another way to solve that then adding a jumper between the Voltage regulators Vout and the Vcc net.

In the block diagram of the MCP1702 there is a diode allowing current going from Vout to Vin. I did not measure a voltage drop.

If nothing else is connected to the Mup, i think it would not be a problem at all.
I programmed the chip without any problems.
Mentioning it in the manual to disconnect everything before connecting it to the PicKit3 would be sufficient.

BTW (also for Paceman (i tested it first to make sure they work) i used a 10uF Multilayer ceramic X5R 1210 smd chip capacitor and it works fine. They are about $0.20 and i have got a reel of those.

Here it is ready for action!

Edited by TZAdvantage 2014-05-09
Microblocks. Build with logic.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 03:55pm 08 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi TZ,

It looks like your PCBs arrived by looking at your Picture.

I have been using the MPlab IPE which doesnt seem to have an option to power the target from the PICKIT so I supply power to the MuP and use the IPE to program the uMite.

Honestly all this IDE and IPE (well actually IDE) is a bit alien to me and I cant get the IDE to program under win 8.1, someone else here recommended the IPE and that works, and is easy enough to use, but as I mentioned use another source to power the MuP.

I did notice that once when I supplied a 3v3 supply to the MuP as the power source and I had VR2 installed that both LEDs lit... I wondered about that one but in my instructions I mention NOT to connect 3v3 as a power source when you have a VREG fitted..

I personally like the VREG and use a 5V source to supply the MuP.

Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:24pm 18 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gday All,

As Ver 1 of MuP had no pullups for I2C and had an error on the overlay for Dat/Clk pins, I have redesigned MuP and released a Ver 2.
MuP Ver 2 is identical in size to Ver 1 but is a much more useful board.

Here is a photo of MuP Ver 2:

Changes from Ver 1 include:

Pullups for the I2C lines Dat & Clk with link options (J10,J11) to enable or disable them.

The addition of a 1k resistor to enable 5V TTL level Tx(in) to be used, this can be jumpered out (J9) if 3v3 TTL Tx(in) is to be used.

Fixed a silk screen overlay error that had the Clk and Dat labels for I2C reversed.

Added a new header location (J12) to support WhiteWizard’s USB module.

Added a Jumper (J13) to enable or disable 5V from the USB-TTL module inputs (J2 & J12). If MuP V2 is being supplied power through J3 AND a USB-TTL cable or adapter that has a 5V supply is connected, then J13 needs to be removed so that the two power sources will not `fight’ with each other. If 5V Power is required to be supplied via J2 or J12 then the jumper J13 will need to be installed.

Jumper Layout can be seen here.

I have asked TassyJim, if he is still willing, to kindly offer to host the new Manual for MuP Ver2 on his site. When it is available either he or I will post a link here. In the meantime if anyone desires a copy of the manual PM me with an email address and I will send it to you (1.3MB in size, so TBS forum wont let me post it directly here -- 500kB max allowed.)

Regards,

Mick

EDIT***

The Manual for the Ver 2 MuP Can be found here: MuP V2 Manual

Mick

PS. Thank you once again Jim for hosting the manual.

Mik

Edited by bigmik 2014-05-20

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:08pm 18 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Link to the V2

http://www.users.on.net/~tassyjim/stuff/MuP%20PCB%20V2.pdf

V1 is still available at
http://www.users.on.net/~tassyjim/stuff/MuP%20Manual.pdf

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024