Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:35 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Micromite: Measuring the Width of a Pulse

Page 2 of 2    
dmasz

Posted: 04:05am 19 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gents,

is it doable to extend PULSIN function to measure period of N pulses? as total length
or
mean value of pulse period over N pulses

it could give in some conditions more constant results.

br
Dan

Goeytex

Posted: 05:55am 19 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

dmasz said   Gents,

is it doable to extend PULSIN function to measure period of N pulses? as total length
or
mean value of pulse period over N pulses

it could give in some conditions more constant results.

br
Dan

I am not exactly sure what you mean, but it seems to me that you could write a function with the existing pulsin that increments a counter variable for N number of consecutive pulsins and then take the sum of the measurements.

But a limitation of Pulsin ( any platform or language) is the command processing overhead. With the Micromite this is ~60 - 70us.

In other words consider a 2 pulse burst where the first pulse is 10us, and the second is 20us and there is a space of 30us between each pulse. With 2 consecutive Pulsin commands the second pulse will be missed because it take the program > 30us to jump to the 2nd pulsin command, process it,( interpreter) and then execute.

For pulse trains with a space time of <70us, what you are wanting to do would likely require a different function/command and would over complicate the function of pulsin, which is to measure the width of a single incomming pulse.

Edited by Goeytex 2014-05-20

dmasz

Posted: 06:14am 19 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Goeytex as you mentioned.

If you will try to count pulses in interpretative Basic then you will bang you head on the wall of basic performance.(overhead as you desribed) that is why if pulsin will have another parameter to give you as output total length of N pulses it will be easy to take mean period and it will be very useful for measurements when you are trying to avoid
error caused by noise, vibration or nature of physical machine.

if you will try to measure measure speed of engine then you will notice that speed
is not dead constant it varies and it is better to do couple of measurements
and then average result than to relay on measurement of just one pulse.

pulsin can be used not only to measure electronically generated pulses
some time you are trying to measure physical generated pulses.

N pulse option would be useful for sensors with equally spaced pulses like
rotational encoders to measure period of N pulses to get good average.

D.

Goeytex

Posted: 07:25am 19 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Something like this?

a = PULSIN( pin, polarity,N,[, t1 [, t2]] )

Where a = total time of N pulses...

Interesting...

dmasz

Posted: 07:30am 19 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Goeytex said   Something like this?

Interesting...

yes this would be prefect

D.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 08:38am 19 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Would a pin configured as a counting input not work for that?

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Goeytex

Posted: 09:52am 19 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TZAdvantage said   Would a pin configured as a counting input not work for that?

Being new to MMBAsic, I am not sure. I have not yet tested the counting or period functions, but I think one of these may work.

Bill

Edited by Goeytex 2014-05-20

atmega8

Guru

Posted: 10:06am 19 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff,

Thank you for this fast Response and new Function.

But i think, that every Function that completely blocks Interrupts, like Pulseins could cause many Problems.
Every Atmega Controller can do this in the Background in Hardware, without blocking any Interrupts.
I think a PIC can also do this.
But i don't know this in Detail and even i will never in my live be able to build a Interpreter, as you did;-)..

Wouldn''t it be possible to have Functions that do not Block Interrupts?
With the DS1820 onewire you also implemented it non blocking.....
And there are other Functions that will block in the micromite....

Just an idea...

THX

Dietmar

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 01:30pm 19 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  i'd love to see the option to select the internal band-gap reference for analog inputs ... "OPTION REF 3V3 | INT"

Yes, that is definitely on my todo list.

It will be a while though, in 10 days I head off to California and Ireland for two and a half months. During that time I will have internet access to this forum but further development will have to wait until late August.

I should be spending my time getting ready for the trip but PULSIN seemed so easy that I gave it a go.

atmega8 said  Wouldn''t it be possible to have Functions that do not Block Interrupts?

Interrupts in MMBasic work differently compared to hardware interrupts as in a PIC. A hardware interrupt can break into running code but they are not flexible enough to be used as MMBasic interrupts.

So MMBasic uses software interrupts where the interpreter checks at the end of each command for an interrupt and if one has occurred, it then runs the appropriate interrupt code. Normally this is OK because most commands execute in less than 50uS and therefore any interrupt source would be checked every 50uS. But it does mean that commands that take a long time (such as IR SEND) will delay the interrupt check.

There is no easy solution to this. It is very hard to break into a BASIC command and run some other code because the interpreter needs to keep track of many items of information while a command or function is being executed and that would be lost by executing some other code. In MMBasic the only command that can be interrupted in the middle is the PAUSE command and that was not easy to implement.

This is doable but it would extend the running time of the command and block interrupts for longer.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

atmega8

Guru

Posted: 07:14pm 19 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff,

thank you for the explanation.

Now i can better understand why things are like they are.

dmasz

Posted: 11:40pm 19 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  

This is doable but it would extend the running time of the command and block interrupts for longer.

Geoff

it could extend waiting time but t1 and t2 will take care, not to stuck forever.

Dan

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 06:29am 20 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

dmasz said  

Where a = total time of N pulses

yes this would be prefect

i take it you have in mind a specific application, where pulses arrive fairly frequently, but have some small jitter in their length?

an approach that would be 'almost as good' as what you are asking for would be to use a running total weighted to slowly replace older results with newer:

T(n+1) = q.T(n) + (1-q).PULSEIN(pin, pol)

where q is a fraction just less than 1, representing the weighting. for example, the following code should be placed in the main loop of your program, with the main loop executed perhaps 50 times a second, and your pulses arriving at pin 2 at the rate of several hundred per second:

temp = PULSEIN (2, 1)
IF temp<>-1 THEN pw = (0.96 * pw) + (0.04 * temp)

after running for a second or so, pw will contain a weighted average of the pulse width - weighted towards newer values. as the pulse width increases or decreases, pw will track it. slow changes will track very closely, rapid changes might take a second or so to 'catch up'.

to make the tracking quicker, try using 0.90 and 0.10 as the multipliers, but in most cases a slow tracking is more useful. you may end up using values of 0.99 and 0.01 to achieve good smoothness. or, if you see a sudden change in pulse width, you might want to create a 'jump' by assigning temp directly to pw:

temp = PULSEIN (2, 1)
IF temp<>-1 THEN

IF (temp=0) OR (pw=0) THEN
jump = 0
ELSEIF ((pw/temp) >1.5) OR ((temp/pw)> 1.5) THEN
jump = 1
ELSE
jump = 0
ENDIF

IF jump then pw = temp ELSE pw = (0.96 * pw) + (0.04 * temp)

ENDIF

the above will reset the value of pw to the currently read pulse width if the difference between the two is more than 50%. the logic is a bit convoluted due to the need to make sure neither pw nor temp is zero before checking the ratio. i assume that MMbasic does not do 'incomplete evaluation' of logic expressions!

rob :-)
Edited by robert.rozee 2014-05-21

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024