Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:44 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMbasic on Raspberry PI ?

drfloyd

Posted: 04:40am 23 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello again folks !

is it possible to imagine the MMBASIC as an OS for Raspberry Pi computer ?

(because i hate Linux and want a native basic OS on my computers !)

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 04:45am 23 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Huge task due to needing all I/O, interrupt etc code re-written and much of the RPi is proprietary i.e. no documentation (NDA at best).

Not any time soon, if ever.

Read the posts about using STM32 instead and of course PIC32MZ.

If you want BASIC on RPi it is already available, of course.

JohnEdited by JohnS 2014-05-24

drfloyd

Posted: 05:14am 23 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Apparently there is no "native" basic for Rasp Pi like on Maximite (not found)

MMbasic is compatible with STM32 computers ?

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 05:38am 23 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I never looked in detail but isn't that what FUZE is?

STM32... do the reading.

John

vk2sja

Posted: 06:29pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

drfloyd said   Apparently there is no "native" basic for Rasp Pi like on Maximite

Actually, I think that there is one that probably qualifies for that title.

RTB (Return To Basics) has been specifically crafted for the Raspberry Pi in so far as it has awareness of things like the Pi's GPIO pins.

Available here:-

https://projects.drogon.net/rtb/

This is not BASIC in Flash/ROM but a Linux executable program.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation of course promotes "Python" as the officially preferred language.

JohnS said   I never looked in detail but isn't that what FUZE is?
John

I've not really kept track of all the details here myself. At one point the FUZE

http://www.fuze.co.uk/

was being offered in a version containing the Colour Maximite. Not sure if it was a hybrid with a Raspberry Pi in the same case as well(?).

Today they seem to be offering only versions (that I can see) with a Raspberry Pi installed and it comes with FUZE BASIC. FUZE BASIC appears to be a commercial spin-off of RTB as mentioned above. With some added extensions for things like controlling popular robotic arm kits.

Just recently the developer of RTB (and FUZE BASIC one assumes) Gordon Henderson, back ported some of the FUZE BASIC enhancements into the Open Source RTB package. So right now if you launch the RTB full screen editor it declares itself as being FUZE BASIC. An over-sight no doubt. But the two products are not exactly equal. The robotic arm stuff is missing from RTB for instance.

Superficially at least RTB is very similar to Geoff's MMBasic. But MMBasic likely has a lot more depth to it (I have only played with RTB superficially). The target audience for RTB is clearly Education while increasingly MMBasic leans towards Embedded solutions. Which is not to say the CMM wouldn't make an excellent classroom tool.

Anyway, if you have a Raspberry Pi and wish to play around with BASIC I can recommend RTB.

I also ported the DOS version of MMBasic to Linux a while back (MMBasic 4.4):-

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5963

Console text version only. No graphics, No sound, No attempt to emulate Maximite hardware. But I never got around to re-compiling it for an ARM chip version of Linux aka the Raspberry Pi. Guess I should probably get around to doing something about that. And update to version 4.5 at the same time...

Steve.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024