Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:08 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : 2 Instances of MMEdit

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 02:01pm 26 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Getting ready to play with 2 uMite setups to test some I2C stuff. I was going to use 2 laptops running mmedit but is it possible to run 2 on one machine? Both console coms will be done with ttl serial to usb.

Thanks again!

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:52pm 26 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sort of.

There is only one set of configuration data so there is a chance of the program getting confused.

You could make a 'portable' installation (from the file menu) and then the configuration is kept separate. Make sure that you make the portable copy somewhere that you have full write permission or Windows will get upset.

With the portable copy, all the data is in a folder up from the program folder instead of in the Windows 'local data' area.

The main drawback with the portable copy is there is no easy way to update the program. Every time I update MMEdit, you will have to make another portable copy.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:30pm 26 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Workaround on Linux would be to run each from a separate user account. (You may need an xhost command to allow it.)

It works because you can be logged in to as many different users as you like at the same time.

John

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024