Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:10 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : *** COMM *** New Mick PCBs now Available

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 09:13pm 17 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   G'Day All,

Yes, some more blatant advertising or `self promotion’.

I have now available 2 more PCBs that may be of interest.

Firstly the IO Panel,

The IO Panel (98x72mm) uses 4 x PCF8574 chips to create 4 interfaces on the one PCB that will bolt on the back of a 20x4 or 16x4 LCD module, and communicates via the I2C bus to provide 32 bits (8 each channel) of additional IO.

The four `Standard' interfaces are:

LCD Module
4x4 KeyPad
LED Panel
General IO

I will update when a suitable web site with the manual is available. In the mean time if you PM me with your email address I can send you a PDF copy.

I also have released MuP-Security.

MuP-Security is an alarm module that plugs into MuP and provides the basis for a home/shop/Van security system. I have attempted to provide as many features as I can in a relatively small 76mm x 61mm PCB.

NOTE !! MuP-Security requires Both MuP and the IO Panel to work.

At this stage the first release of the software to drive MuP Security is not available but I hope that there will be something out quite soon..

Similarly I have a manual I can email, if interested PM your email address.

I will have a home for the manual soon.

I have decided to offer these at the following prices (PM me if interested)

MuP-Security (Bare PCB) $5ea
IO Panel (Bare PCB) $6ea

I havent yet decided on other options but bpth are easy to solder so I suspect there wont be much demand for kits etc, but if there is PM me and we can work something out.

Of Course I still do have MuP for sale in various Options:

OPTION 1:
$3AUD Bare PCB

OPTION 2:
$5AUD Bare PCB + SMD 3v3 Vreg (VR2) + SMD 47uf v6v3 (low ESR 0.25 Ohm) Cap

OPTION 3:
$8AUD Bare PCB + SMD Vreg and Cap pre-soldered.

OPTION 4:
$23AUD Fully built and tested (includes programmed PIC32)

Pic32MX150 Pre-Programmed.
$7AUD Programmed Pic32MX150 (40MHz), (If supplied with either of the first 4 options)

Postage of each of the above options will vary but will be basically the actual cost including packaging rounded UP to the next full dollar. Postage cost can be confirmed via PM or email depending on where you are located.

For further information on Geoff Graham's MicroMite please see:

MicroMite

And for the latest MuP Ver 2. Manual please see:

MuP Ver. 2 Manual

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me via PM (on this site) or via email.

Bigmick58@bigpond.com

Kind Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:55pm 17 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All,

TassyJim,

Has kindly added manuals for MuP-Security and IO Panel on his site.

They are here

MuP-Security

IO Panel

Thank you once again Jim,

Kind Regards,

Mick

halldave

Posted: 01:49am 18 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Security MuP
alpha code slowly coming together.. eta around 2 weeks

Please check at the following site for code updates

http://mmreference.com/product/mup-security/ Edited by halldave 2014-08-20

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:48am 19 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I have had a few people ask me where to get the PCF8574 chip so I will put some links here.

Element14/Farnell Currently have a promotion on the PCF8574 at $1.10ea, the thing to consider is $12.50 freight for orders under $35.

RS Components $2.53ea in lots of 5 but free next day delivery if ordered online. (I bought my first 5 from them had them 2 days later -- I ordered after 6pm)

Both the above are exGST prices (10% extra for GST).

It is possible to buy them cheaply on eBay About $4.60AUS for 10 (46cents each) but the ones I got from them, whilst they work look like they have been sitting in an open box and the legs are a bit oxidised, not excessively, but they are obviously not `firsts'

Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:13pm 24 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

It was mentioned somewhere (I am blowed if I can find the source on TBS now to give credit to the person who brought it to my attention) that the INT line of the IO Panel when pulled to 5V (as is the case when it is used to drive a 4x4 keypad) INT2 in this case needs to be 3v3 max when used to an Interrupt Pin on the uMite.

As I have provided, on MuP-Security an Interrupt input to Pin(14) this is not 5V tolerant..

An 18k resistor to GND from the INT line (on the IO Panel) will stop this line from rising above about 3.2V

I will look at adding these in a Ver 2 but in the mean time if any of the INT lines are to be used for a uMite an 18k resistor to GND will need to be added.

FYI I did a test and risked my uMite and the internal clamping diodes brought the voltage down to about 3.7V, probably not enough to immediatley cause any harm but in the long run it may cause grief and is best addressed now.

I will provide pictures of suitable locations for these resistors when I have time to look into them.

Regards,

Mick

EDIT ***

Of course this is only relevant when the IO Panel is supplied by 5V, if supplied by 3v3 there is no issue but 5V is needed to drive most LCD Modules.

Mick
Edited by bigmik 2014-08-26

f1fco

Posted: 09:42pm 24 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hello Mick,
I am interested by yours PCBs
can you send it in France ?

the PCB of the Video Terminal is it available ?
desciption here :
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6799&PN =4

than you for answer

Pierre
73s de F1FCO

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:18pm 24 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi f1fco,

I should have no problems with France, I have sent to UK with no drama so I see no problem with that.

As for the MuP-VT, I had, what turned out to be a serious flaw in the layout of the board, coupled with getting caught by the bug in Ver1 of the software where there is no USB comms when PAL is selected. (That made me think I had many more issues than I first thought.)

The fault in the tracking was that I added, at the last minute, a 2 pin jumper block to disable/enable 5V from the Mini-USB connector and I inadvertently connected it to 3v3 instead of 5v. It cooked my uMite and coupled with the software bug in ver 1 I pulled out my hair follicles (no hair left) and cut several tracks and rejoined looking for more faults... Well suffice to say it was fun ... NOT!!

The bottom line is that if the header is NOT installed and a short 2mm solder link between two adjacent pads the MuP-VT works flawlessly, I actually love it..

I have decided that what I am going to do is cut the track on the header that causes the problem and add a note about it and show where to link two pads and it can be a saleable item. (but the 2 pin header will not be functional)

If you are interested the price I have put on it is $4ea (Aus$). Now postage to France should be $3 if I can send just PCBs in an envelope and the total weight is 50Gm or less.. Over 50Gm or over 5mm thick the price jumps to $6.45(Aus) but I can get around 200Gm for that.. If interested let me know via PM or my email is: bigmick58@bigpond.com and I can give you am idea if I can `envelope' it or if it has to be a package.

Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:33pm 24 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

Further to the Pull-Down issue with the Interrupts on the IO Panel, here is a picture to show suitable locations for the Resistor(s) to be added.

2014-08-25_083258_Pull-Downs.pdf

NOTE 1!
Pulldowns are not necessary, indeed should not be added, if the IO Panel is powered by 3v3 instead of 5V (LCD Modules usually need 5V)

NOTE 2!
Only the INTx pin that you are going to use needs this pulldown resistor, I have shown the one for INT2 which is needed for the 4x4 keypad module.

NOTE 3!
A suitable GND connection is any one of the 3 lower pads of J4 (I have used the Right hand pad) and the 4 possible INTx lines are noted by text, just link your resistor to the appropriate INTx Pin..

Further information will be added to the manual in the next couple of days..

Regards,

Mick

EDIT ***
Before any smarty pants notices, YES I have used a 22k instead of 18k as I am currently out of 18k resistors (probably never had any as its not a value I use often). The 22k was put there as an example of where to fit one.. In actual fact the measured voltage on my INT2 pin with 22k installed (and not fitted to my uMIte) was 3.4V so I would be happy to leave it there anyway.

Mick

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 11:25pm 25 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mick,

You should not worry too much over the voltage used for the pullup on the INT pin.

I am not sure what value of resistor you are using for the pullup but the clamping diode on the PIC32 3.3V I/O pins can take up to 5mA (if I remember correctly). That means that a pullup of 330 ohms or greater (I would use 10K) to 5V would be OK without a pulldown resistor.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:51pm 25 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff, All,

I used a 10k Pullup.

As you suggested the in-built Clamping diodes did work and the actual measured voltage was 3.72V with just a 10k Pullup.

I looked at the PIC32MX150 chip specs and they mentioned that too much overdrive of the clamping can cause lockups. I couldn't get any data on the PCF8574 that stated drive current when HIGH (It stated 1.6mA when LOW). I wasn't sure that the current came solely from the Pullup (MUCH less than 1mA) or if the PCF8574 would drive current through as well.

When Peter, (aka G8JCF) mentioned the non-5v tolerant status I was a bit concerned.

Regards,

Mick

PS. Geoff are you back in AUS yet?

Mick

PPS. I might just add it into the manual as a notation and state not to worry about it.

Mick

Edited by bigmik 2014-08-27

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:03am 26 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  Geoff are you back in AUS yet?

Yes, for a while anyway. I have a lot of work built up so MMBasic updates may be initially slow in coming.

GeoffEdited by Geoffg 2014-08-27
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 12:08am 26 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PS

The I/O Panel has wider use than with only PIC32's, so it would be really great if the Int line was made truly 3V3 compliant so that for example one could use such a useful board with other PIC, Atmel, STM chips etc - not to mention of course the huge increase in the potential market which would then become available!

Peter
The only Konstant is Change

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:53am 10 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

To complement my range of PCBs I now have some PIC32MX170 chips available..

I have priced these at $8each (Chip only) or $7ea if bought along with a MuP PCB in any option.

I also have my MuP-VT which is designed to plug into MuP and provide VT100 comms. I just havent yet completed a proper manual due to family priorities..

These will be priced at $4ea and a programmed VT100 (PIC32MX250) chip will be $8each

I will update when I have finished the manual.

Photos of MuP-VT plugged into MuP follow

Regards,

Mick

Edited by bigmik 2014-09-11

mindrobots

Posted: 12:40pm 10 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Darn you!

I just ordered a batch of Geoff's terminal PCBs this weekend and now you have these cute little MuPcessory!

I will send you an email so we can arrange a trip for a few of them to visit the States!

Thanks again for helping me spend my money!!

Rick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:49pm 10 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry Rick,

I had previously mentioned that I had these boards but there was an issue with one of the PCB traces on it.

I have addressed this issue by partially drilling away a pad and when the board is built it requires a short 3mm (1/8") link between 2 adjacent pads.

Not the best arrangement but quite workable, I believe..

All in all I personally believe that despite this small error the MuP-VT is a worthwhile addition to MuP..

I know that a picture tells a thousand words but I hope to have a manual soon that explains this issue. I normally wouldn't release a board without a manual, but I have been under the pump a bit with family matters and haven't had much time to put into addressing the problem then creating a manual.

Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:57pm 12 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

Finally I am in a position to Offer MuP-VT as a PCB.

Note, that a medium level of soldering competency is required and I strongly suggest reading through the Manual for the best order to solder the components in as it does get a little tricky due to the component density on this board.

There is ONE Surface mount component (mini-USB) that may cause some people a bit of grief, I will be offering an Option 2 that has this pre-soldered but I am still waiting for the banana boat from China to arrive with my order.

At this stage I am offering the PCB only for $4ea. If you are desperate, and need a pre-soldered USB, contact me via PM or bigmick58@bigpond.com and we can work out something, I can probably steal a connector from an old board I have lying around..

Tassy Jim is going to host the manual for me, but he is away from his PC till tomorrow evening so in the mean time a temporary location for the manual is

Here but that will cease after Jims gets his copy on-line.

Regards,

Mick
Edited by bigmik 2014-09-14

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 12:53pm 13 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@bigmik, As promised, I have downloaded your MuP-VT User Manual to MicroMite.org so that it is available for everyone to view online.

Very shortly I will be able to supply people this side of the pond with this excellent little module (note: only one in stock currently - more on the way!)

I have also downloaded the MuP User Manual; and added the MuP-Test PCB & Manual too.

Mick's I/O board and Security boards are next . . . .

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 03:57pm 13 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Phil,

I appreciate your support.

Regards,

Mick

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024