Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:54 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : 2R2 resistor on the SD card....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:16am 18 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all.

What's the purpose of the 2R2 resistor in series with the power to the SD card on the colour maximite - R17 on the schematic?

It's such a low value, I am surprised by it's inclusion - why not just directly connect the SD card to the 3v3 rail?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 04:29am 18 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

it will limit inrush current to less than a couple of amps. i'm guessing that SD cards may have a ceramic decoupling capacitor or two on board, and when a card is plugged in these represent a dead short for a fraction of a second.

rob :-)

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:42am 18 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree with limiting the inrush current, but the original Maximite did not have
this resistor, so maybe it is not critical.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 01:10pm 18 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There were some problems with reading SD cards and some users found the resistor was required, others managed better without it.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:39pm 18 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting.....

I have included it, as it is on the schematic - best to follow that, but when I saw it there, it was an eyebrow raising moment.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 02:03pm 18 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  There were some problems with reading SD cards and some users found the resistor was required, others managed better without it.

Maybe it's more to do with the voltage, it would be interesting to know what the drop is across the resistor.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:55pm 18 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogs,

I am not sure of the original reason for it but I found that some of my uSD cards would not work in the UBW32-MCC if the 2R2 was there.. shorting it out fixed the problems.

Bottom line is it is not needed and I believe it is trying to be over protective and not damage the SD card. Maybe if it was reduced to 1R

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:06am 19 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cool - thanks.
I will bypass it then.

It's taking a lot longer then I thought to design this board, even with the UBW32 module at the heart of it!

Even double-sided, I have been pressed for space more then once. Fortunately, I have been able to work around the problems - so far.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:12am 19 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster,

What extra are you catering for on your board?

The UBW32-MCC that Don Sells is pretty small, maybe the extra bits you want could be designed as plugin via the 2 x 26pin headers along one side

The 2 headers are along the rear edge next to the VGA connector.

Regards,

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:15am 19 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Damn I hate the way TBS reduces pictures.

Here is the same picture ZIPPED up.

You can just see R12 under the UBW32 on the RHS and that it is a soldered link (not all of it is visible)

Mick

2014-08-19_101515_UBW_plugged_in.zip

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:24am 19 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  I will bypass it then.

i'd suggest you instead look at replacing the 2r2 resistor with a small inductor - this will still limit the inrush current, while creating less of a voltage drop/droop issue once the 3v3 supply to the card is up. you could also add a small electrolytic capacitor (not tantalum or ceramic) near pin 4 of the card if some cards still do not work.

the 2r2 resistor functions in two ways: to protect the card from inrush current, and, to prevent live card insertion causing the maximite to reset or misbehave because of a sudden dropout on the 3v3 rail. just bypassing it may not be prudent.

rob :-)Edited by robert.rozee 2014-08-20

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:11am 19 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mick and Rob. I like to be prudent where I can, so will leave it in place.

Current PCB size is 200mm x 150mm double-sided. It includes all the basic bits needed for a Maximite by default, such as VGA 15-pin D, sound(via RCA), Keyboard PS/2, SD card holder - all that stuff by default, but also includes all the custom bits I have worked on with the forums' help over the last few years, such as the printer interface with 25-pin D on board, RS232 COM port with 9-pin D on board, provision and circuit for the network module, mains fail detection, COM port switching for remote-access if a network module is installed, on-board connector for the RF receiver module on the roof, all PSU rails for everything on the board and off the board, so that everything is on the one single PCB. This will dramatically cut down the amount of interconnecting wires and sub-boards, to make up a specific system. The UBW32 is at the heart of the system, running MMBASIC.

Having discovered iTead Studio's prices, speed and quality of service, I decided to build the mother-ship board, which will do everything I need - I just leave out the bits I don't want depending on features I need, but the board is essentially the same across all installs(save a little bit of programming).

I would upload a GIF of the current state of things, but the forums will squeeze the life out of such a big photo. It would be easy enough to link to an external image, then the forums won't squish it - I may well do that.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024