Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:12 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Microchip lead times....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:44pm 18 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I see that Microchip are having some serious lead-time issues at the moment - always difficult to know what will be popular, I guess.

2014-08-18_234303_Customer_Letter-7-31-2014_2.pdf

I expect that WW knows all about this - BTW - did you manage to source enough chips?

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:06am 19 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogs,

They can say and blame what/who they like but I don't believe they are being serious about being a major world wide supplier!

The same happened with the 695/795 in the original MaxiMite, Don bought almost the entire stock (around 800-1000 chips) at the time as he could see the supply was going to be a problem.

When I purchased my '795 chips they quoted something like 1500 in stock, When I bought my `150s they quoted something like 86 in stock (I would have thought the Manufacturer should have 100's of THOUSANDS in stock.

I am no expert on IC manufacture but I would have thought they would pump out a million a day in those huge automated plants and I assume they have many factories.

Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:05pm 19 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm only guessing here myself, but perhaps cos they have so many different chips, they need to see which ones are currently the big sellers, and stock up on those - hence they tend to run out of stock of the more popular chips, until they realise that there is a larger demand for that particular part. In other words, it would be inefficient to have thousands of pcs of a chip that is ten years old and only sells a few dozen a year, but by the same token, it is inefficient to have small stock of the best sellers. However, I expect it can sometimes be hard to call which chip will be a good seller at the time.

Only my 2c - all your comments still stand, Mick, I am just throwing my thoughts into the mix.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 05:58am 20 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Grogster - yes I managed to get hold of another 37 from 3 suppliers and that was it (even though stock inventories were showing stock holding, when you ordered then nothing was actually available!)

As indicated on other threads, I have already started to migrate to the 170D on my MicroMite module. I am just using up my last 14 150D's and then I will begin shipping the Module with a 170 instead.

I am keeping an eye on the stock levels and will jump in when I think necessary to snap up the remainder. Please Don, don't buy them all up

WW

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 03:22pm 20 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  I am no expert on IC manufacture but I would have thought they would pump out a million a day in those huge automated plants and I assume they have many factories.

Interestingly Microchip don't make their own chips. They outsource that job to independent 3rd party fabrication plants in Asia. The fab plants deliver the raw chips to Microchip in Malaysia who then package them (ie, mount the chip in a plastic package and bond the leads).

Many other companies do the same so I suppose that when the general electronics industry has a boom all of the fab plants are overloaded. At several billion dollars per plant it is not easy to quickly add capacity.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024