Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:23 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MaxiMite "Select Composite" line...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:51pm 11 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all.

This question is similar to the one I posted a while back about forcing the VT100 into VGA mode from power-up, even if no monitor connected.

On the MaxiMite series, pin 9 of the VGA socket comes back to C14 on the PIC32 chip, and is labelled SELECT COMPOSITE.

Looking at the pinout for the VGA connector, it would seem that pin9 here is 5v in most monitors, so I would guess that the MaxiMite looks at C14 and if it is high, it assumes VGA monitor, and if it is low, it assumes no VGA monitor, so sets itself up for composite.

Yes?
No?

With the above in mind, and assuming I have that right, then if I pull C14 high with a 4k7 or so, this should permanently force the MaxiMite into VGA-only mode.

Yes?
No?

It would appear that C14 is 5v tolerant, so I could pull it to either 5v or the 3v3 system supply.

Yes?
No?

Thanks for any replies.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 10:21pm 11 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  On the MaxiMite series, pin 9 of the VGA socket comes back to C14 on the PIC32 chip, and is labelled SELECT COMPOSITE.

Looking at the pinout for the VGA connector, it would seem that pin9 here is 5v in most monitors, so I would guess that the MaxiMite looks at C14 and if it is high, it assumes VGA monitor, and if it is low, it assumes no VGA monitor, so sets itself up for composite.

The VGA convention is that pin 9 should be unconnected in the monitor although since then I have found that a lot of monitors (particularly H/P) use that pin for other purposes.

When pin 9 is unconnected a pullup inside the PIC32 will pull it +ive and VGA is selected. When that pin is grounded composite is selected. This is disabled if you use the command CONFIG COMPOSITE DISABLED (which is the default for a newly flashed MMBasic).

So, for permanent VGA you can:
- do nothing (composite and pin 9 are disabled by default)
- or use the command CONFIG COMPOSITE DISABLED
- or cut the trace to pin 9 on the VGA connector

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:17pm 12 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you very much - exactly what I needed to know.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024