Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:43 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMEdit and Linux (Ubuntu 14.04)

Page 2 of 2    
vk2sja

Posted: 03:05pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I thought I'd try this out myself.

@TassyJim,

I can't get to your web site either. Site name in DNS resolves to
69.50.192.141 and this address responds to ping. But port 80 appears to be closed.

Jim, is the web-server offline?

Steve

Edited by vk2sja 2014-11-28

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 03:28pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My website went off air sometime this morning.

I have been having problems with email lately and I hope the problem means the host provider is working on it.

I can FTP and ping etc but no web server.

Here is an alternative which I will probably make the main site soon.

http://www.users.on.net/~tassyjim/MMedit.htm

If you do try MMedit2, you will find it rather outdated and there is little support for the Mk2 Micromite.

Over the last year I have been busy with adding support for the Mk2 to the original MMedit as well as some unrelated issues which took my attention.

I still intend to continue work on MMedit2 with Windows and Linux support but it is difficult when I have no idea what the current installation problems are.

It works on Kubuntu so it SHOULD work just as easily on Ubuntu.

I fully understand why some users don't want to have anything to do with Wine or Windows.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

vk2sja

Posted: 07:20pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Jim,

Just downloaded it and went to run on 32bit version of XUbuntu (XFCE desktop version of Ubuntu). Here is what I got:-

(with an apology to any experienced Linux people. Please skip the rest).

$pwd
/home/stephen/Maximite

$tar -xvf MMedit2.tar.gz
$cd MMedit2

$ls -lisa MMEdit2
13108194 1112 -rwxrwxr-x 1 stephen stephen 1136040 Jan 1 2014 MMEdit2

$file MMEdit2
MMEdit2: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=0feb24590ca4a4695af4f75e464e3019c662b025, stripped

$./MMEdit2
./MMEdit2: error while loading shared libraries: libgnomeprint-2-2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

For those not fluent in Unix the $ sign above is the command line prompt. Lines without an initial $ are responses.

I tried to show all steps. First command is pwd for Print Working Directory just to show the starting directory point.

Because the MMEdit2 command is not statically linked it needs to call Library routines in external dynamic library files. On my system it fails because it can't get a routine from the "Gnome Print" library.

This is not a 64bit vs 32bit issue as such. It is just an issue of missing dynamic library files.

Gnome is one of the major BIG heavy-weight Linux graphical Desktop environments. The really two really BIG legacy desktop environments arguably being Gnome and KDE. I'm running a rather lightweight in comparison Xfce desktop.

Nothing to stop me from installing the required Gnome libraries even though I'm using a different desktop.

If the MMEdit2 program was statically linked then it would become self-contained and to a large extent this type of problem would disappear. File size would grow alarmingly though.

Jim, what is MMEdit2 being written in? Can you link a static version?

The previous poster @hitsware seemed to be trying to run a MMedit2.xzm which seems upon quick inspection to be a Slackware compressed package module file. Which doesn't seem quite right.

Steve.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:51pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for that information Steve.

MMedit2 is written in PureBasic and I don't think I can do anything about static linking.

You will need libgnomeprint2.2-dev

To install the gnome print library, you might have to add
"deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu precise main universe"
to your list of sources.

To get around the Gnome-print issues I will remove the print routines from the Linux version.
To print, users will have the file open up in their default text editor and they can print from there.

And I thought Windows was bad.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

vk2sja

Posted: 08:36pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim,

It's up to you of course but I wouldn't go and remove printing. I might like to print from the application

Just list the known dependancies in an INSTALL.TXT file.

Then we can all go and install whatever packages are required to get the program working. Tomorrow I'll get it running on my system and list the library packages I end up installing.

Purebasic is about the best traditional cross-platform Windows/Linux application development tool that I've come across. I've only done a couple of projects with it but I was very impressed. Fast, easy and the same result in both environments. I wasn't trying at the time to build statically linked executables but it appears that you can:-

http://www.forums.purebasic.com/english/viewtopic.php?f=15&t =50149&hilit=linux+static+link&sid=71c491f958b47e2c678faaced 99078cb

Steve

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 09:47pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said   You should be getting the results that JohnS is getting.
It should unpack to a folder with:
MMedit2 - the executable
portable.inf - a text file used to indicate the data folder is in the working directory
Data - a subfolder with the required support files.

Being a 'Windows person' I use a GUI unpacking program and GUI file manager

Jim

There are lots of GUI ways to do it but I'm so used to command line it's quicker for me to keep my hands on the keyboard. Mouse has its place but is little use writing code!

John

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 09:53pm 26 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said   Thanks for that information Steve.

MMedit2 is written in PureBasic and I don't think I can do anything about static linking.

You will need libgnomeprint2.2-dev

To install the gnome print library, you might have to add
"deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu precise main universe"
to your list of sources.

To get around the Gnome-print issues I will remove the print routines from the Linux version.
To print, users will have the file open up in their default text editor and they can print from there.

And I thought Windows was bad.

Jim

Your program depends on something (gnome print). To avoid others having problems you're expected to either:
1. provide a package (auto-resolves dependencies) - the good way
or
2. tell people and leave them to sort it out - the not so good way!

You've done the equivalent of needing a non-standard DLL on Windows but not including it. That wouldn't be a fault of Windows, and similarly it's not fair to comment about Linux...

If it's PureBasic that's caused it then shame on it for not assisting.

JohnEdited by JohnS 2014-11-28

Tim036

Posted: 01:16pm 27 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said   Are you running 32 or 64 bit Linux?

I only have a PC suitable for 32 bit so that is the only option.
I don't know how well 64 bit Linux handles 32 bit programs.

Provided it was extracted to a location that permits running from, the only other thing to check is the permissions of MMedit2. In my case it is runable without any need to change anything.

The system I use is running Kubuntu 14.04 32 bit

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have a 64bit box with 8GB and 6 cores. All the hard drives are in cradles, so I can swop them around and run any OS I can get my hands on. Just got a 240GB SSD for the Ubuntu OS 14.04 which makes it very fast. All the data is on a second drive.

But its very early days with MMBasic as I've not got it running yet. Only just got the Terminal software running after some sort of fashion.

I hope this coming Thursday to plug the preprogrammed IC in and get it running with the help of a friend who uses a Mac.

: ))

Tim GW1JOV

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 01:51pm 27 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tim,
The big advantage with the maximite/micromite is you don't need anything fancy on the PC.
With the built-in editor, any terminal program you are comfortable with will give you plenty of entertainment.

By running ser2net on a RaspberryPi, I can program a micromite with my phone from anywhere...

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 02:22pm 27 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  By running ser2net on a RaspberryPi, I can program a micromite with my phone from anywhere...

Jim

Do tell us more!!
What app are you using on the phone? How exactly are you setting up the RPi? How are you connecting this to the MicroMite?

Sorry for the questions but you have sparked something of interest to me here.

Thanks in advance!
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

vk2sja

Posted: 04:10pm 27 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  And I thought Windows was bad.

You thought right!

But in this particular instance I'd have to agree. Debian (Linux) and PureBasic
along with some unfortunate timing of various development cycles has created a right royal mess.

Basically libgnomeprint is an ancient way of doing things and Debian have finally got around to pulling it from the up-stream source tree. All Linux distributions that hang off Debian (Debian re-spins) such as Ubuntu and Mint, just to name two of the big name Distros, are now going to be minus these libraries in current versions.

See:-

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=707199

If we are going to attribute blame anywhere (and I don't) then it could be argued that PureBasic has failed to keep up with Linux development.

The long term fix being for PureBasic to update. Something they are well aware of:-

http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=59335&s tart=2

In the short term we can fix the problem by adding older package repositories to our list of enabled software sources and pull down/install the required software from these older versions of Linux.

And Jim was spot-on with naming both the required repository and package that needs to be added/installed.

*** I DO NOT NECESSARILY RECOMMEND THE DOING THE FOLLOWING ***
*** WARNING - PACKAGE DEPENDENCY HELL MAY LIKELY RESULT ***

Having said that. From information found at:-

http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?p=444734#p4447 34

I managed to get MMEdit2 to run using the following steps:-

$lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

$uname -a
Linux stephen-Vostro-460 3.13.0-40-generic #69-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 13 17:56:26 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

$sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu precise main universe"

$sudo apt-get update

$sudo apt-get install gcc g++ libc6-dev libsdl1.2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgnomeprint2.2-dev unixodbc-dev libgnome2-dev libxine-dev libgnomeprintui2.2-dev libxxf86vm-dev

The first two steps are just to clearly show which version I'm playing with.

We are almost certainly installing more stuff than we need. Because I'm installing everything required to do PureBasic development, but "hey - what the heck".

MMEdit2 now runs and seemingly I have not broken my existing OS printing.

Sadly though, when I go to print I only get:-

"28 NOV 2014 untitled.bas Page 1"

at the bottom of the page. The page is otherwise blank. And the file name I'm editing is test.bas not untitled.bas.

I'll be sure to add my voice to those politely requesting a PureBasic update.

Steve.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:17pm 27 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The phone is android and I use Mocha Telnet.
There are a few more to choose from but I have an old version of Android OS so that restricts me a bit.

On the Pi, I installed ser2net and have a USB to TTL converter for the micromite.
I could have used the existing serial port.

Any Telnet program will do and I have it exposed to the big bad world.

It is available as a test device for users of MMEdit but point any Telnet program to tassyjim.ddns.net port 3002 and you are connected.

The micromite is on V4.6 beta 21 (or 23) at the moment.

I used port 3002 so that I could keep my ISP's firewall in place and using the standard port is not available if I turn the firewall off.

I usually run code for BMP085 and DHT22 but anyone can change that.

I have ser2net on my Linux box and I find that TeraTerm or MMEdit (under Wine) connected to localhost is better than using Wine's serial port redirection.

If I only had better eyes or a much bigger phone....

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024