Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:18 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Supervisory IC vs R/C on MCLR...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:09am 29 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks.

On page 14 of the Micromite manual, there is a diagram using a couple of resistors and a cap to delay the start-up of the PIC32.

Then there are the likes of the MCP120T-315 which can be connected to the MCLR pin to delay startup. The MCP part is only 45 cents, but if the R/C method works, is there any obvious benefit to using the more advanced MCP part?

Thanks for any comments.

EDIT: I am guessing that the MCP part would be more stable over time and temperature then an R/C network on MCLR, yes?Edited by Grogster 2014-12-30
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 02:20am 29 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The added benefit is a controlled reset when brown outs occur. It monitors the voltage.
An r/c would not help in that case.
For embedded solutions that need to run unattended for very long periods of time a supervisory chip is a must as is a watchdog.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:55am 29 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahhhhhhhh - thanks, TZA - I thought there must be more to them then just startup delay. Useful information. I will proceed along the MCP path rather then R/C path.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024