Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:37 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Valuable Backshed Information

panky

Guru

Posted: 01:38pm 29 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to thank all contributors for the wealth of information, tips, helpful advice etc that you have all provided. I make regular use of it all and my hobby experience would be much the poorer without the Backshed.

Having said that, I would love to have offline access to the entire data set to search at my leasure. Also, heaven forbid, that the Backshed does not continue, this valuable, indeed priceless, information would be lost.

My question then is, would there be any way to make the entire data set available on a cd in some searchable form (eg. pdf) at whatever price seems reasonable?

As with Geof's stuff, Creative Commons might be the appropriate vehicle to protect exploitation.

Any thoughts?

Regards to all for 2015,Doug.

... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

atmega8

Guru

Posted: 02:43pm 29 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Panky,

there is no need for any action on the TBS.
Wget will do the complete Job for you.
Your OS, Windows and Linux, is able to do the Search- Job within Milliseconds.
So just do it yourself😄.Edited by atmega8 2014-12-31

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:57pm 29 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I imagine that Gizmo(site administrator) has the site fully backed up on a regular basis, and I don't think you have to worry about TBS going anywhere.

You are right about this being a great resource though!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:16pm 29 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah site backed up daily by the hosting company, and I download the forum database and members files every week for backing up locally. Worst case scenario is the hosting company goes down and looses backups, so I would use my own to get it working within a couple of days.

Please dont use WGet. There's about 3.5gig of data, if any more than a few people did it, it would suck up my bandwidth and take the site down. Google indexes the site regularly, so google search the site if your looking for anything.

No plans to ever take the site down.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:27pm 29 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

....and there you have it.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024