Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:16 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMEdit - won’t talk to uM...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:28pm 30 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all.

Trying to talk to a uM via a VT100 on USB, using my VideoMite 1A PCB.

Both chips programmed and talking between them fine.
uM MMBASIC for 150's version 4.5E(the latest one)
VT100 firmware is also the latest one.

MMEdit keeps saying the port is open/a device connected is not functioning/error code 5.

The port IS open in MMEdit, and the link appears to work fine.

If I close MMEdit, and open TeraTerm on COM6:38400, I can talk to the uM fine - all via the VideoMite PCB, and the VT100 acting as a glorified USB-serial adaptor.

So, the USB and uM are all working fine, but MMEdit insists that it is not.

MMEdit version 3.5.5, MicroMite2 syntax selected in the VIEW menu.

Any other ideas I can try?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

mpep

Posted: 03:57pm 30 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahhhh..... good to know that I am not the only one.
I have the similar situation, writing software but unable to send to miniMaximite.
I admit I may be at fault here, but have tried for some time today to do the above.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:05pm 30 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahhhhhh - good to know that I am not the only one too, if I may paraphrase you for a moment...

Yeah, not sure what is going on. What OS are you using?

I am on Windows 8.1 64-bit. The thing that confuses the hell out of me, is the fact that TeraTerm is perfectly happy talking directly to the uM on COM6 @ 38k4 baud, but MMEdit just says it is not there - most strange.

mpep

Posted: 04:25pm 30 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I tried getting the USB to work on Win8.1 but gave up!!!!
Tried many ways, but all the methods indicate a certain display on the screen which I have never seen. Very frustrating.

I am using my XP box, worked first time re USB, as expected.
If only M$ hadn't tried to be clever!!!!!! [end-of-rant]

TT is happy with mMM, MMe indicates that it can see it, but when I try to send a program through, I just haven't found a way to do it. As I said, might well be me, not the S/W.

Will keep trying. Haven't seen a help file for MMe.

micronut

Posted: 04:37pm 30 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I too have a problem similar to Grogster's except my uM has a 170 with V4.6 on it and I'm using the Ascii VT100. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit editionEdited by micronut 2015-01-01

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 05:08pm 30 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Today is the first time in several weeks that I have played around with the mites, and I also have connection issues. After several tries I found I had to use the 'Connect' button in MMEdit before before each attempt to program or use the 'Chat'. Same thing with using a completely different USB adapter. If that is a new feature of MMEdit, I find it really annoying!

--Curtis
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:38am 31 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

UPDATE: Just to let the forums know that I can move a program to the Micromite and back to the PC using the XMODEM command and TeraTerm, as outlined in the Micromite manual, page 48, under the XMODEM command.

So, everything IS working, technically, including moving the code across - MMEdit just hates me, is all....

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 11:25am 31 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MMEdit has problems talking to the VT100 ASCII terminal.
I don't know why and there a number of other terminal programs that also have problems.

The ONLY program I have found that can talk to the VT100 ASCII terminal is TeraTerm.

I haven't found any other USB-serial devices that I have problems with and I spent a number of days trying to find the reason. I have used Liberty Basic and PureBasic and both have the same problem.

The problem has nothing to do with the version of windows or the driver. Maximites work OK but not the ASCII terminal. I started to look at the Maximite/ASCII terminal C code but Christmas got in the way. My knowledge if C means I will probably still be looking next Christmas.

@Curtis
You should only have to use the "connect" menu when you change USB serial ports.
MMEdit remembers the last connection.
I changed MMEdit so that it holds on to the connection to speed up re-connections.
One possible problem is if you unplug the USB and then reinsert it. Because MMEdit has kept the connection alive, Windows gets annoyed.

I will be uploading an update to MMEdit, probably later today, which clears the connection if the Chat or File windows have been closed for 20 seconds or more. MMEdit still remembers the last port in use so it can reconnect as required. This change should make unplugging USB devices easier to get away with while keeping the speed improvements.

The update also has a disconnect button to save waiting the 20 seconds.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:29pm 31 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for that information, Jim - very useful info - so it is the VT100's fault, and we'll leave it at that for now.

I know I do not recall having these issues with the likes of Phil's 44-pin module, but it uses the FTDI serial-USB chip, and that obviously has no problems for whatever reason.

Quote  Because MMEdit has kept the connection alive, Windows gets annoyed.

Heh, heh. Windows tends to get annoyed often, and not just with this idea - most things you do. Edited by Grogster 2015-01-01

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 02:50pm 31 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

could the problem be that when instructed to change baud rate from an attached PC, geoff's VT100/USB interface allows a few characters through at the old baud rate? just a thought that came to mind.

cheers,
rob :-)

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024