Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:28 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CFunctions : Tutorial

Page 2 of 2    
JohnS
Guru

Posted: 02:55am 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

paceman - depends if you really want to use C more than a little. The Di Jasio one in effect uses C rather than teaches it, but does show what the PIC32 can do in many areas.

K&R was always a good way to get going and I guess still is.

John

paceman
Guru

Posted: 03:10am 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G8JCF said  Chairman of Standards Australia ! Peter

No, no! just the Chairman of one of the Committees, there are hundreds of them. If I'd been that I reckon I'd be basking in the Bermudan sun these days Our standards did become the International ISO ones for the aluminium industry though so we must have done something right.

Re doing the editing/tracking etc - I'm still using Word 2003 on my Win-XP laptop so send them as a .doc document preferably, not .docx. I've got Open Office on my Win7 system but I'm not sure I'd trust the conversion.

Greg

paceman
Guru

Posted: 03:48am 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said   paceman - depends if you really want to use C more than a little. The Di Jasio one in effect uses C rather than teaches it, but does show what the PIC32 can do in many areas. John

Yes that's exactly it, running (using) those examples was why I needed the generic micro. This thread shows what I ended up with - seems ages ago but it's less than two years!

I can't see that I'd want to use C much but I'd like to be able to, and a CFunction or two would probably be just the ticket.

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 06:14am 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Greg

Sorry about the confusion ! Still that's a helluva lot better than any standards body I've been on.

OK about 2003, will stick to .doc. BTW, I use LibreOffice Writer as my PDF publisher of .docx documents, it's free and much better than Word's built in save as PDF. But, OpenOffice/LibreOffice Writer are definitely in the shade when compared to Office 2007. For free products, OpenOffice and LibreOffice are fantastically good.

IMHO, the hard part of using C on MCUs is not the C itself, the C code used is not that complicated, but deciphering the data sheets, finding all the correct .h and .c files, is.

For CFunctions, one doesn't need to use much of C itself, there's no need to get clever/complicated. CFunctions are there for performance boosting reasons primarily. For those people who want to write in C, then MMBasic+CFunctions is not for them.

The amount of snobbery about which programming language is superior to which other language never ceases to amaze me, and it never seems to end. I think that to most of us engineers, a computer language is simply a tool to help get a job done, and we let the toolmakers union members debate amongst themselves which amongst themselves is the biggest tool of them all.

Take care

Peter

The only Konstant is Change

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:21am 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Microsoft provide a compatibility pack that allows Office 2000 and 2003 to read/write docx etc.

See this link for details.

I still use Office 2000 but this allows full compatibility with later versions

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 07:57am 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you Peter

BobD

Guru

Posted: 09:34am 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said   Microsoft provide a compatibility pack that allows Office 2000 and 2003 to read/write docx etc.

See this link for details.

I still use Office 2000 but this allows full compatibility with later versions

It would be worth installing the compatibility pack just so you guys can handle any Word document. It's a long while since I used it but I can recall that the basic pack was just the start. Make sure that you install any updates that go with it and I think there were a lot of them.

Microsoft also had an addon PDF generator for some of the earlier versions of Office. If that's applicable for your versions then it's also worthwhile. In the absence of that MS PDF addon, a good, free and professionally supported PDF generator is PrimoPDF. It works well and you can set up the options for various grades of output and versions of PDF.

Do not register your PrimoPDF because they like to promote their other paid products.Edited by BobD 2015-05-02

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 10:06am 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bob, especially for the tip about PrimoPDF, much appreciated.

Edit : I've just installed PrimoPDF, and it does indeed produce clean .PDFs, but unfortunately it doesn't enable one to set the bookmarks on PDF open, LibreOffice Writer's PDF export does, which makes for a much better user experience - I'm keeping PrimoPDF because it works for other programs as well - again Thank You

PeterEdited by G8JCF 2015-05-02

BobD

Guru

Posted: 10:22am 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I forgot to add about PrimoPDF that it functions as a virtual printer. When you install it you get another printer. To create PDFs you do a print to that printer. It works for anywhere that you can use standard printing methods. One of my uses is to print my bank balances every time I logon but it will work just as well with Word or any other program. You can also password and encrypt the PDF.

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 11:52am 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Greg

Does this help understand the Opening brace {

2015-05-01_215140_MMBasicCFunctions_PIC32_Page11.pdf

Peter

paceman
Guru

Posted: 01:16am 02 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter, Yes I think that's good.

@BobD, matherp
Thanks for the compatibility pack and PrimoPDF info. I've actually had PrimoPDF installed for several years now and it has been useful for the dozen or two occasions I've needed to write a PDF. I think for the purpose of helping Peter edit the Tutorial though I'll just stick with the .doc format since Peter's happy to send it to me that way and there's no issue with him reading it.

Greg

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024