Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:39 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Why C?

Page 2 of 2    
Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:16pm 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Settle down guys.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 12:32pm 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'd like to mention "netiquette".

Work on the basis that I wasn't, for example, attacking grogster (why on earth would I???). Read posts on the basis of netiquette. It's old-fashioned but still applies.

John

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 12:35pm 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My sister just bought a new suv and i can't believe the gas mileage she is getting...
it's really something

ooops, wrong thread... carry onEdited by viscomjim 2015-05-02

BobD

Guru

Posted: 12:55pm 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

viscomjim said   My sister just bought a new suv and i can't believe the gas mileage she is getting...
it's really something

Jim
just ask her to look at this thread. There is plenty of gas here.
Bob

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:40pm 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Crikey - so many messages in my email inbox this morning!!!

I am very sorry for all the trouble this thread seems to have caused.

I need to tell you all at this point, that I never EVER planned to start any kind of flame-war thing here. I WAS genuinely interested in just WHY C seemed to be so common a language to so many things these days - including Cfunctions on the MM now.

In hindsight, perhaps I should have thought of that, but I figured that so many of you gurus use C for all sorts of things, that I might be able to find out WHY you chose C over something else(and why it seems to be the native language for MOST MCU's after something like MMBASIC or PICAXE-BASIC), without starting a fire here.

I do remember how back a few years ago, PIC chips had to be programmed in native assembly language(as Dylan mentioned on page 1), which made them unattractive to just about all but the experts, cos they were so hard to program back then. Again - NOT starting anything, only stating that I remember those days of PIC, and personally, I would not touch them then for that exact reason.

I still have questions regarding C, but perhaps we should leave it here as far as this thread is concerned. Perhaps Gizmo could PM me(or post here if he wants to) about what he would like to do, as administrator.Edited by Grogster 2015-05-03
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 02:46pm 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Netiquette, defined by the socially inept for the socially inept - "The Big Bang Theory" on TV says it all ! ( it's dead funny mind you )

The only Konstant is Change

akashh

Posted: 03:18pm 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I started off programming in BASIC, and the moved to pascal. I believed Pascal was the solution to any problem and I hated c, because of all the pointers. Basically, I had just gotten used to a certain way of coding and didn't want to change.
Then when I started getting into microcontroller programming in the early 2000s I was forced to either learn c or assembly and I chose C. Turns out it is actually pretty easy once you get your head around a few basic concepts - PHP and Java all share similarities in syntax so programming any of those languages becomes easier than if I would jump in straight from basic or pascal.
Are there pitfalls? Sure. But with today's tools and great debuggers it is usually pretty trivial to fix bugs once you have identified them.
I guess all I am trying to say here is that most people will stick to the language they are comfortable with if it gets the job done, and tend to quip about other languages as not being right or too complex or too high or low level (I did this myself) but at the end of the day it's just whatever works for you. I have seen people make drawings and architectural designs in Excel because they were not willing to learn a different tool - it worked for them - and that's all that mattered to them.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:59pm 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well said.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:19pm 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  I still have questions regarding C, but perhaps we should leave it here as far as this thread is concerned.

Up to you but for me you're welcome to ask and if I can I'll have a go at answering.

If you read my first post in the thread with Pascal replaced by (say) Algol or Fortran or language XXX maybe that's best. The whole of the rest of the post is as far as possible about C not language XXX.

John

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 11:24pm 01 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What is the point of this dispute at all (and the initial question by some extent)?
The programming language is just a tool for expressing what you want to do. Just like the human languages, it goes the same. And it doesn't matter what language you are saying it in, it only matters what you are saying. There is a programming language for every taste or colour of socks these days.

http://rittle.org

--------------

Dylan

Posted: 06:13am 03 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

kiiid said   What is the point of this dispute at all (and the initial question by some extent)?

I think that JohnS unwittingly touched some raw nerves, and has (seemingly) now realised that mixing authoritatively correct statements with other that were ... rubbish ;) is not a good idea.

The original question remains valid, and has been answered from various aspects.

But WHY does PHP exist?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:00pm 03 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dylan said  But WHY does PHP exist?

For the same reason classic ASP still exists, 20 years after its development and 15 years after Microsoft wanted us to migrate to the new ASP.NET.

ASP.NET required a big change in programming practices for arguably no gain. Thus many programmers, me included, rejected ASP.NET and stuck to classic ASP. This forum runs classic ASP, and due to the number of sites still using classic ASP ( over 500,000,000 pages online are classic ASP ), Microsoft keep support for it on the new OS's. Its around for at least the next 5 years, but I can bet that will be extended again.

But the reason for ASP and PHP, which are different languages but are used in a similar way, is they are dead easy to use, have a short development cycle, and a huge support base. The code is messy, and usually strewn throughout the web pages HTML, but it works oh so well!

ASP and PHP may be old, messy and outdated, but speed of development, support and ease of use are big factors in a languages life.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 02:23pm 03 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geez ..................
Amazingly DOS will still boot a 'PC'

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:52pm 03 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm in Paris at the moment and have discovered that the locals use a different language - definitely not Basic....

I wonder if that is why they produce amazing cheeses?

Viva la difference.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 09:53am 04 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Spring in Paris - very nice, but don't mention Australian Shiraz/Chardonnay

Hope you are having a great time

Pierre

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 01:12pm 04 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  ASP and PHP may be old, messy and outdated, but speed of development, support and ease of use are big factors in a languages life.

The same applies to BASIC.
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 01:21am 05 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  
  Gizmo said  ASP and PHP may be old, messy and outdated, but speed of development, support and ease of use are big factors in a languages life.

So so true.

I have just picked up some old '80 Micro' computer magazines dating back to 1981/8. They are full of interesting articles and no end of BASIC code examples/listings. One article proudly announces that "Computer Home Banking has arrived" with a full code listing written obviously in BASIC.

Over the coming months I will be adapting the more 'exciting' programs from these magazines into MMBasic versions. I will start a new post when I begin this task to hopefully share some 'memories' with you . . . .

WW
Edited by WhiteWizzard 2015-05-06
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 11:48am 05 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Phil

Just how/where do you find the time for everything ???!!!

You and Mr Mather must hold the record for energy, and get-up-and-go

I really am envious of you both !

Take care

Peter

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 03:04pm 05 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WhiteWizzard said  
  Geoffg said  

So so true.

I have just picked up some old '80 Micro' computer magazines dating back to 1981/8. They are full of interesting articles and no end of BASIC code examples/listings. One article proudly announces that "Computer Home Banking has arrived" with a full code listing written obviously in BASIC.

Over the coming months I will be adapting the more 'exciting' programs from these magazines into MMBasic versions. I will start a new post when I begin this task to hopefully share some 'memories' with you . . . .

WW

edit:
Are the old Basics that different from MMBasic ?Edited by hitsware 2015-05-07

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024