Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:07 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Micromite module troubles

Page 2 of 2    
WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 12:37am 08 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CarlRanson said   It registers as a usb device to the pc and then appears as an unknown

Tomorrow problem...time for beer and GTA.

Ensure you have the latest FTDI driver installed but more importantly, you must use a GENUINE FTDI chip (not a cheap clone). If not genuine then you will not get it working (just search FTDI driver issues to see what I mean - they prevented fake FTDIs from working when using the latest driver).

Enjoy taking out all you frustrations while playing GTA

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

CarlRanson

Posted: 12:35am 10 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ok, so some good progress here.
I've got one of the units presenting correctly as a com port and I am able to connect to it with teraterm.

The first one I did doesn't yet show up as a proper usb device. It might be that I've killed it by having the caps reversed initially. I know at one point the pic got fairly warm.

Does all the usb device presentation stuff happen from the FTDI chip only or are both involved?

thanks again for your help to date.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:40am 10 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The USB interface is entirely inside the FTDI chip, and establishing the USB connection is between the PC and the FTDI chip. The MM talks to the FTDI chip with a standard serial port connection between the two. The MM has no bearing on the operation or detection of the device, as far as the USB connection to the computer is concerned.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 08:15am 10 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@CarlRanson

As Grogster has already mentioned, the FTDI is simply the interface between the MM and a USB port. The MM uses a simple serial Rx and Tx interface to communicate with a console device so the MM signals need converting to the USB protocol when connected to most modern computers.

None of the MMBasic functionality originates from within the FTDI chip.

The module you have where the PIC got 'fairly warm' is not necessarily destroyed. The PICs are surprisingly robust but don't spend too long resolving this yet. Simply get one module working as you need it and get to 'know it better'.

The two 'weak' points of the circuit are the two chips. Out of the two, I would say the FTDI is more 'sensitive' so hence more likely to be where the issue is. When you're ready we can diagnose your issue.

Have fun playing with your working unit . . . .

WW

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024