Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:12 15 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : The latest MMBasic and more..- Help !

Tim036

Posted: 03:57am 21 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To get the full benefit of MMBasic 4.6B (hope that is what its called) is the

PIC32MX170F256B 28 pin PIC the best choice ? Does any other PIC (e.g. the 44 pin version ) offer any extra speed or RAM size ?

Is there a way of telling which version of Basic is on the PIC once you are accessing it ?

I've got loads of questions, such as is there a neat way of downloading or uploading programs into it and out of it ?

I use Linux Ubuntu 14.04 so I've found from the linux 'terminal' this works a treat:-

picocom /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 38400 -l (lower case L)

Any thought very welcome !

: ))

Tim

DaveC166

Posted: 11:02am 21 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi TIM036,
Both the 28 pin and 44 pin versions of the MX170F256 running MMbasic ver 4.6B, have the same RAM and clock speeds. The only difference is the number of I/O pis available. The 28 pin MX170, being a DIP package offers 19 I/O pins and is Breadboard or vero board friendly. The 44 pin version has 33 I/O pins in a TQFP SMD format.
At the command prompt Type PRINT MM.VER (enter) this will tell you the MM basic version.
Check out the manual for XMODEM send/recieve and EDIT comands for retrieving/loading/editing Umite programs

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:11am 21 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have you downloaded the manual from Geoff's web site, most questions will be answered there. To find the current version of software use the command MM.VER. As far as I know the 44 pinner only offers more I/O pins. Downloading and uploading can easily be done using MM EDIT available from the web site.
Paul.

Edit. There is a beta of the PIC32MX470 available that has more memory and speed.Edited by palcal 2015-05-22
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Tim036

Posted: 11:27am 21 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many many thanks for the replies ! They answered my questions and I feel know I've got lots of sources of information that I didn't have before !

Brilliant !!!

a very happy,

Tim

Tim036

Posted: 11:06am 23 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Saving a mmbasic programs to my Laptop. Also to be able to load them into MicroMite from the laptop.

I use Ubuntu 14.04 Linux, so Windows solutions are not what I need. (not keen to change OS).

Best I've found so far is:-

Quote:-

Xmodem

the best way to pass a file through xmodem is to use 'sx'. In debian this application is part of 'lrzsz' package.

In debian:

apt-get install screen lrzsz

screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

Then press Ctrl-A followed by : and type:

exec !! sx yourbinary.bin

This will send the file to ttyUSB0 over xmodem protocol

end quote

For 'Edit' in the mmbasic manual, all I found was on page 45 and 46 and that was it.

______

I guess I'm having a typical 'Newbie' panic attack, on this detail of being able to save and reload software into MMBasic.

Is there an Idiots guide how to do it ?

(I'm note sure if there is such a thing as a VT100 emulator in Linux available software archives)

Practically every serious user must stumble into the same problem ? I feel a bit of a dumbo that I've not yet spotted it !

Any thoughts very welcome !

A puzzled,

Tim

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024