Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:23 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : HC11 RF module issues....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:19pm 25 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Banda sent me some modules to play with, that he could not get working - neither could I. They seem like a bit of a 50/50 bet, from what I can find.

Have a look at this video.
While in the audio of the video, it seems he has them working, but the text-box update I have shown below seems to say it all, really.....

My conclusion: AVOID. Has anyone else here used these modules with the Micromite with success?

I have tried connecting these modules to a VT100, and they flatly refuse to talk in any way whatsoever, either in normal mode, or in command mode where you should be able to get an "OK" back for AT commands. Out of interest, I might hook up a PICAXE and see if they will talk to them.

EDIT: Here is another video which seems to confirm this issue.

Edited by Grogster 2015-05-27
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 09:05pm 25 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe it's the voltage levels.

John

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:33pm 25 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe it's simply because of where they're made
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:32pm 25 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Voltage levels 3v3 CMOS logic, and regulated PSU, which is what the module expects, according to the datasheet - anything from 3v to 5v logic.

As to where they are made - probably right. Fella in video says you get two modules for about 14 pounds(or about 28 NZ dollars), whereas the Radiometrix modules I use are about NZ$35 - EACH. The receivers are about NZ$45 each, but you generally only need one receiver with multiple transmitter nodes, if you arrange the system so the receiver is the base for the entire system.

Expensive?

Yes.

But they just work, right out of the box. I remember the first time I used those Radiometrix modules, and I could not believe that they worked first time - I was expecting a fight, as before then, I had only used the cheapest stuff I could find, which was ALWAYS a battle. You do get what you pay for, I guess.

For me, reliability with more expensive modules is more important then cheapness and lots of brain-strain!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024