Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:10 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Weather Display

Page 2 of 2    
Gordz

Posted: 05:24pm 10 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After trying to flash mine it now seems to be just a tiny paper weight !

Gordz

Posted: 05:42pm 10 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah at last ! Wired it up as per CONEECTIONS.jpg but left CD_PD floating. Started the nodemcu flasher then connected the CH_PD to +3v3 and the log window showed it was programming. After a little while I got the green light and now it defaults to 115200 and the AT+GMR shows

+GMR

AT version:0.23.b2.0(Apr 10 2015 21:21:43)

SDK version:1.0.1(b2)

compile time:Apr 10 2015 21:30:30

OK

paceman
Guru

Posted: 09:19pm 10 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Feels good after a struggle doesn't it. If only mine had stayed that way!

I doubt floating the CH_PD pin made any difference to you though Gordon, mine's hardwired to 3.3v and it flashed OK. The GPIO0 pin being held low for flashing is the main requirement.

Is the double spacing you've shown above how it responds? If so you've probably got your terminal program set to CR/LF on Receive. That is needed for the Transmit but not the Receive.

GregEdited by paceman 2015-06-12

Gordz

Posted: 09:38pm 10 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well after an hour of messing around and getting no where the procedure above is the only one that worked so it may help somebody out who has a similar problem. When I get a chance I will hook it up as a web server again and see if the lock up issue had gone. I like the "extra" command functionality of the new firmware though especially with the ability to configure the baud rate ad high ad 4G mega.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 02:43am 11 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Jman

John, after assuming I'd killed the Rx into the ESP8266 module I then decided to see what would happen if I tried to re-flash it using exactly the same setup as my previous successful one above. Amazingly it seemed to re-flash properly (progression showing on the screen and ticked green circle at the end) - but having done that I still can't communicate with it.

Am I missing something in the flashing process here - I assume the Rx into the module must be working to be able to perform the flashing? Surely the 'Flasher' program wouldn't just dump the firmware out and assume the module had programmed itself.

Any ideas?

Greg

Gordz

Posted: 11:24am 11 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would suggest connecting the module and monitoring the output, each time you connect/disconnect the CH_PD to 3v3 you should see a heap of garbage in your terminal window with a ready at the bottom. If you don't then it may be that your baud rate is not set correctly. You may find that it is because the module has defaulted now to 57600 or 115200 baud. Mine had old F/W that was locked in at 9600 and the command set to change it did not exist. With the 'new' firmware you can change the baud rate but of course you have to be communicating first.

jman

Guru

Posted: 10:09am 12 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Greg

The RX pin must be working as the flasher reads the Mac address before it starts
After the flashing did u remove the gnd connection from GPIO0 ?
Then power cycle after that what does teraterm show.
Teraterm should be set at 115200 and in terminal set receive to auto
and transmit to CR+LF

Regards
John

paceman
Guru

Posted: 03:44am 18 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Gordz / @jman

Sorry I was slow getting back to you gents, I was interstate at my daughter's place for a week and couldn't test anything.

I had everything already set as you suggested John and still the same problem so decided to put the 'scope on it, i.e. the Rx jumper to the module. Found a problem - the line idles high and I can clearly see the character come in when I type it into TeraTerm but each logic zero only drops about 1v - nowhere near ground. On the Tx jumper the correct full logic swing is there.

I then swapped the USB>serial adapter for a 'proper' 3.3v one and tried again and the same Rx problem is there - not looking good for the module. Then I thought I'd see what happened if I connected the GPIO0 to ground (as when flashing) and watch a character come in from TeraTerm. Lo and behold the full logic swing suddenly appears again - but it still can't be seen on the TeraTerm screen maybe because it doesn't echo anything back when GPIO0 is held low. This probably explains why it'll re-flash OK too, but why the logic swings are wrong on the input without GPIO0 grounded I haven't a clue - except to assume it's dead!

I'll order another ESP8266 module tomorrow (and one of those Wiznet ones to try Yobortsa's routines) but if you have any other thoughts I'd like to hear them.

Greg

jman

Guru

Posted: 10:43pm 20 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ready to be installed in a faceplate from Bunnings

Jman

BobD

Guru

Posted: 11:23pm 20 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

John
very professional looking. You have me curious about the Local and Christchurch observations. How do you get such differing readings in your area?
Bob

jman

Guru

Posted: 11:27pm 20 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BobD said   John
very professional looking. You have me curious about the Local and Christchurch observations. How do you get such differing readings in your area?
Bob

Thanks

The Local one is in my house the other is from the Airport
So it's cold out :)

John

BobD

Guru

Posted: 11:44pm 20 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

John
I thought your reading was fairly cool but then I looked at our local weather station (about 5km away) and it was 3.6C at 7:00pm.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60801/IDV60801.94898.shtml
I think we're in for a cool one tonight.
Bob

paceman
Guru

Posted: 12:39am 21 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looks pretty sharp John - Apple eat your heart out

Greg

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 10:51pm 21 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

John - this is really good stuff.

Can I make two suggestions for 'improving' your display content (please; these are NOT criticisms):

1> Make any single digit temperature a single digit with a leading space. So in your photo - the '05' will simply become ' 5'. This makes 'low' temperatures stand out more clearly on this type of gadget.

2> Make the Updated time the same format as the main time. Your main time is in 24hr format, but the updated is with a AM/PM indicator. Initially I thought the update was in the morning, and it was now well into the evening according to your clock; however, it had actually updated just over half an hour previously.

PLEASE - these are just recommendations from a 'user' point of view. I spent many years designing user-friendly systems (yes, they do exist!) and I believe I have a good eye for little details. There may well be good & valid reasons why you did what you did, but then again you may not have 'noticed' the above.

Anyway - like others have said; a really nice looking unit

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024