Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:35 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : I Need New Soldering Iron

Page 2 of 2    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:14am 13 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jimbotron said   I find that the brass wool type of soldering iron tip cleaner is much better than using a wet sponge. It does not suddenly cool the tip and seems to be much better at removing flux residues and sl*g. It also never dries out.

I agree, and I use the brass wool/goldilox in a small ceramic holder thing, which is glued down to the top of my solder station.

I also use Soldering Iron Tip Cleaner available from many outlets. This stuff seems horribly expensive for the small size of the little pot, but one of these little pots lasts me about 8 years, and I am ramming my iron tip into it a few times every day I am using my soldering station, which is most days, so I can reassure you that it lasts well.

I also don't really love the wet sponge method. It does work, but as mentioned, it is a bit of a thermal shock for the iron, so I have settled on using the brass wool/goldilox/pot-scrub method, and it works well.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

BobD

Guru

Posted: 07:22pm 13 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yobortsa said   These soldering stations are fantastic. I've got one I've been using for about four years and a second spare one in a box for when it dies. $AU23.58![/quote]

You were fortunate in that you bought two. They don't seem to stock them now in the AU warehouse. The minimum possible shipping fee is now about AU$30. However, for that price I could add another 13kg of items for the same charge.Edited by BobD 2015-06-15

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 07:13am 15 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  Yes they do sell an `Americanised' version

Solder Station

Hmmm... I failed to find that one when a searched for "Soldering Iron" on their site, and now I just might need it. Amazon just sent me a notice they have not gotten a "shipment notice" from the seller I was trying to buy the Antex soldering iron from. I may have to cancel the order and try again.

--Curtis
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:50am 17 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  

Yes they do sell an `Americanised' version

Yeah but its called a "Soder Station". There's no "L".

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 12:00pm 17 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  

Does that "Soder Station" dispense Coke or Pepsi?
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:08pm 17 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Justplayin said  

Does that "Soder Station" dispense Coke or Pepsi?

My guess is SPRITE

MIK
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:37am 18 Jun 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  
  bigmik said  
Yes they do sell an `Americanised' version

what is funniest is sitting in the middle of an engineering office (in christchurch, new zealand), and having a newly arrived american electronics engineer say rather loudly to all who can hear:

"have you got a pair of side cutters? i'm looking for a pair of side cutters".

except, americans have a different name for "side cutters"...

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024