Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:25 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : SSD 1963 where to buy

atmega8

Guru

Posted: 01:00am 11 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

thanks to Geoff for the new Beta!
Time for me and others to buy some SSD1963😄

Has anybody a reliable and cheap source for those modules?
Most ebay hits show chinese dealers with delivery times near christmas;-(((, for europe/germany....

THX

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 02:07am 11 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi atmega8,

I have a sustainable source (NOT eBay!!) to soon offer some high quality SSDs on MicroMite.org. Expecting next lot in about another 9 days.

Is there a particular size you're after (4.3" ,5" or 7"). The 4.3 is a lower resolution (480x272), the larger screens being 800x480.
Have ordered three of each and I think they will be in high demand now that Geoff has released B36.

PM me if you want to reserve one

For anyone interested:
4.3" = £28
5" = £33
7" = £42

All the above include a resistive touch panel. Shipping extra.

WW

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

atmega8

Guru

Posted: 03:21am 11 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi WW,

what shipping cost do you expect?

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 04:58am 11 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

atmega8 said  what shipping cost do you expect?

Royal Mail's cost is £8.60 to Europe (Tacked & Insured) so with PayPal's costs added on then total shipping should be no more than £9.50 (why don't all governments subsidise overseas shipping to help boost global economies!!)

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 05:49am 11 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

While hunting for SSD enclosures I came across this 'shipping information' from a Chinese supplier.
As I say, the product is an enclosure; and nothing to do with a 'baby'!

Quote  Notes before buying :
A pro , baby shop before shipment will test all good no problemAnd packaging firmAfter the issue , but does not guarantee delivery after violent destruction will cause the product is not working, when you receive the parcel , please check the face in front of courier or less good if there is damage to the baby , be sure to run into any problems first time contact us .

Might just order one to see what arrives . . .

WW

skyv

Posted: 09:48pm 11 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all

I've bought displays from this place.
They seemed quite efficient

http://www.buydisplay.com/default/

skyv

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 10:20pm 11 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Does anyone know of a nice enclosure supplier that offers a cheap enclosure.
I can get 'expensive' ones no problem, but trying to get a cheap sustainable source of an enclosure seems 'impossible'.

By the way, I don't mind if it has a 'glass' front (i.e. clear acrylic) as I will not always be using the Touch feature.

Appreciate if anyone has any links for me to look at

WW

EDIT - Just to clarify, I am after 5" and 7" enclosures (I already have a nice 4.3" enclosure supplier)Edited by WhiteWizzard 2015-10-13

atmega8

Guru

Posted: 06:32am 12 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For german Micromiters may be this is an option.
Not the cheapest but free delivery in 1-3 Days.

http://eckstein-shop.de/70-MIT-Touchscreen-800480-SSD1963-MCU-Bus-TFT-LCD-Display_1

any other sources?

Greg Fordyce

Posted: 10:44am 12 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

atmega8 said   For german Micromiters may be this is an option.
Not the cheapest but free delivery in 1-3 Days.

http://eckstein-shop.de/70-MIT-Touchscreen-800480-SSD1963-MCU-Bus-TFT-LCD-Display_1

any other sources?

I got a 7" display from them and it works fine.

atmega8

Guru

Posted: 08:28pm 12 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What is the size of a 7 " Display in y and x direction?

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 08:55pm 12 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi atmega8,

Three measurements you need to take into account; especially if mounting it in an enclosure (and each panel can be slightly different).

1> The PCB size. Note that mounting holes (if present) can be in various locations. Sometimes the PCB is the same size as the TFT panel but then this makes it slightly more difficult to mount. Note too that the connector is not always in the same position; and in some situations will have a 'non-standard' pinout. Connector is typically either dual row holes, or, an FPC connector.

2> The panel size (typically with a metal surround). As mentioned above, this can sometimes be bigger than the PCB.

3> The viewing size. This is an important measurement as it is what determines the panel-cutout size. The thicker the enclosure, the slightly bigger this needs to be - in conjunction with bevelling the cutout so that you get a wider viewing angle.

Hope the above helps - I don't have a 7" with me at the moment to let you know what my measurements are - sorry.

WW

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:52pm 12 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ WW - Yes, the 'Engrish' can be halarious at times. Obviously just fed through a computer translator, which translates the words, but the context gets lost!

Are you going to have your LCD's on your site soon?
Is the 7" one the standard 40-pin parallel connector?

As to cases, for my new 7" MM+ based unit, I am going to get a custom sheet metal case laser-cut and bent for the application. That done, powder-coat the steel in the colour of your choice.

While this sounds really expensive, a got some server cases for PC's from a pal of mine, and he said it was only about $150 all up including the steel, laser-cutting and powder coating. You'd easily pay that much or more for a quality rack case. He used QCAD to design the case, and just sent the factory the files - much like you do with PCB design - and they supplied the finished case.

I realise this PROBABLY is not for you, cos $150 could still be considered expensive I suppose....

EDIT: That's $150 in our money. Approximately $100 in American dollars, or 65 Pound in your money. That was for a case much bigger then the one I am going to get done, so I will let you know when I have mine made, what the final cost was if you like.

Edited by Grogster 2015-10-14
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 03:04am 13 Oct 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I probably going to make some with a cnc (as soon as i fixed my spindle issues) from acrylic. I would like the frame around the screen to have a bevel on the inside.
First cut it with the laser and then with a 45 degree cutter once around to create the bevel. A drill press or mill would work also, even a normal router when you make a template.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024