Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:32 01 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Bigmik’s `site’ and Spam - Now fixed

Page 1 of 2    
bigmik

Guru

Posted: 04:28pm 23 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

For a while now I have been getting reports of unwanted spam on my web site (kindly hosted by dontronics.com). I received another complaint yesterday and I even got a pop up spam message when I went there..

After doing an extensive google search it appears that it was the Free counter program that shows how many visits have been to that page.. We thought it was a good idea to have that but like most `freebies' on the web there are catches and this unsolicited spam and redirecting is one of them.

The counter we used was www.freecounterstat.com So BEWARE of this add on.

I apologise for all those that complained earlier (going back nearly a year) and saw nothing done..

To test that it is finally clean I ask that, if you feel so inclined, please visit Bigmik's site and let me know if there is any recurrence of this spam.

Kind Regards,

Mick

PS. If anyone wants to read further, this is the web site I found.

SITE

mik

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

ajkw

Posted: 06:02pm 23 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

seems to be ok, no pop ups noted

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:25pm 24 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks AJKW,

Mik

aargee

Posted: 12:29am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mik, clicked on the Mikmatix directory and a spam window opened titled 'Woolworths' .
Could not repeat it though.
I had several sites and windows open, so not sure if it was a coincidence.
For crying out loud, all I wanted to do was flash this blasted LED.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:18am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Damn,

Doesn't sound good, I don't know what else it could be.. The spam I saw was a Woolworths one as well..

Unless there was some cache on either Dons site or your PC..

It really is annoying... It doesn't seem to happen on dontronics.com itself and my site is just a new page on the dt site..

I will handball back to Don.

Regards,

Mick

donmck

Guru

Posted: 03:07am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   Damn,

Doesn't sound good, I don't know what else it could be.. The spam I saw was a Woolworths one as well..

Unless there was some cache on either Dons site or your PC..

It really is annoying... It doesn't seem to happen on dontronics.com itself and my site is just a new page on the dt site..

I will handball back to Don.

Regards,

Mick

Have been using that directory software since Aug-2011, when Maximite was really kicking on, and must have had thousands of visitors during that time.

Only difference is the counter code I added for you when we started off your pages Mick. That code has now been removed, so I can only think it was browser or internet cache working against us. I have never seen the results, so there isn't much point in me trying another browser, but I would be interested in others findings, if the problem still exists.

Cheers Don...
https://www.32v8.com/1

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:46am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I suspect the counter. A popup opened for me as well, but I closed it before it loaded. Couldn't get it to happen again, which is typical of this sort of popup advert/spam. Had a look at the page source code and the only suspect bit is in the freecounterstat javascript. Further research shows this freecounterstat web site makes money from advertising, which it displays on your site randomly. See http://freecounterstat.com.hypestat.com/ for more info.

It should be harmless, but annoying.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:55am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I tried several of the folder links, and not one single pop-up.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Chris Roper

Posted: 06:20am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here's what I get:

I also get the occasional Popup page but it gets killed by the Browser/ABP befor it has a chance to load any content.

That image is a bit small the relevant info is:

Privacy Badger detected 3 potential trackers on this page. These sliders let you control how Privacy Badger handles each one. You shouldn't need to adjust them unless something is broken.

d19tqk5t6qcjac.cloudfront.net
s925.thetrafficstat.net
trendtext.eu

Cheers
Chris

Edited by Chris Roper 2016-01-27
http://caroper.blogspot.com/

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 06:28am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Got this this morning : Edited by hitsware 2016-01-27

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 06:32am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hitsware said   Got this this morning :

(image upload not working)

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 06:53am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hitsware said   Got this this morning :

Chris Roper

Posted: 08:51am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That one is particularly nasty ........

Blatantly obvious Social Engineering, for most of us, but would terrify any novices, certainly my parents and their friends.

http://caroper.blogspot.com/

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 09:02am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

> obvious Social Engineering,

That's putting it politely ...

donmck

Guru

Posted: 10:20am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

the original software I had on my site was found at:
http://www.evoluted.net/thinktank/web-development/php-directory-listing-script

not only did I use the software, I modified the source slightly to suit my requirements, and added messages to the comments about this. But this was back in 2011. Only time it has been modified was to add the counter. That has now been removed, and back to the source I helped to create.

So I don't believe there is a problem now.

I am in the process of software repairing a computer for my sister in law. Her daughter who owned it, passed away recently, and the computer was left with viruses and ad-ware.

Last weekend I hope I got rid of the viruses. This weekend I am going after the ads.

What a crazy world we live in.

I accused Norton of infecting 1000s, if not millions of sites with their bugs:
https://community.norton.com/en/forums/cosymantecnisbfw-bug-and-auto-injection-additional-html-code

They admit to it, but still haven't repaired it.

I can only assume that many viruses are written by anti virus companies to keep themselves in business.

Cheers Don...

donmck

Guru

Posted: 11:27am 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After chatting with Mick, we decided to change the sub directory name of his files, by dropping an 's' from the end of the 'mites' URL:
http://www.dontronics.com/micks-mite/files/

or correctly linked:
http://www.dontronics.com/micks-mite/files/

If for some reason the page has been captured by Browser cache, or internet cache, this hopefully will clear it.

The old site should give an error on your browser now.

Mick will edit his sig when he gets a chance.

Cheers Don...

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:23pm 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looking at the source code, I dont think there are any issues with the server software, so nothing at your end Don. The source code is pretty clean, except for the link to the java counter thingy, I'll bet with the counter now gone, the popups will be gone too.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

donmck

Guru

Posted: 01:55pm 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Glenn,

just as a side note, I had one member report to me that he had problems signing into TBS because of pop up ads.

Sounds more like a local problem his end, but if he contacts me if he still has problems, I'll put him onto you for assistance.

Cheers Don...

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:10pm 26 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah it could be a rogue google ad. In my google adsense settings for the site I've said no to pop up ad's, but its not bullet proof. Advertisers will push a ad into the google adsense system and give false infomation about the ad, for example they may put together a advert for a dating site, and claim its a ad for gardening tools. I've blocked dating ads, but Google does not check every ad, so these ads sneak through until someone reports it.

But your right, it can sometimes be something on the users computer. Underlined phone numbers on web pages usually means the user has installed skype and not checked the default ticked options. You got to keep an eye on those default ticked options when you install any software, they install all sorts of trouble.

Glenn

JAQ

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 07:59pm 27 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I think the move to a new link seems to be working well. I tried it today on a computer that has never been to the original site and I could not get the pop up crap no matter how many times I clicked around..

I feel that the crap that popped up since the deletion of the counter must have somehow/somewhere been caught up in cache, either on the local PC or the internet/ISP somewhere.

Please if anyone sees the spam/scam/crap again let me know..

Thank you to all those who put up with my SPAM to test for the unsolicited crap.

Thank you Don for a quick response and re compile of my Micks `web site'

Regards,

MickEdited by bigmik 2016-01-29

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024