Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:00 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PiZero VT100

jman

Guru

Posted: 09:28pm 06 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi
While looking at the RC2014 Z80 project here Rc2014 I noticed it uses a PiZero for keyboard and display but the Pi is NOT running Linux this project is bare metal. As this is bare metal the boot time is instant. The project is here PiGFX. The cool part is now you have cheap method of using a HDMI or composite monitor with a USB keyboard on any Mite as the terminal is VT100 compatible. I have built one and works like charm on the original Pi1 and any PiZero up 1.3 NOT the W version.

This has to be the cheapest colour VT100 terminal yet?

Regards
Jman

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:20am 07 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jman,

I have just bought a Pi 3B and a zero W to see what all the fuss is about with pi's.

Why is the Zero W not compatible?

Incidentally core.com.au had the Zero W for $14.95 Aus. They sold out in 10 hrs if what they thought was a months supply.. they are expecting more in a week.

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

jman

Guru

Posted: 10:19am 07 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick

I think it has something to do with the way the newer devices handle the serial port
I will test it on a PI3 today and post the results here.

Regards
Jman

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:21pm 07 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Jman,

I bought the Pi 3B to have a bit of a look see about what all the hysteria is over.. then I saw they had stock of the Pi Zero W for only $15 so I grabbed one as well, then I saw this post and thought that it could be a really good use for the zero...

I received an Aus-Post notification that it will be delivered tomorrow so I am quite keen to see them..

Mick

paceman
Guru

Posted: 02:47am 08 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  Incidentally core.com.au had the Zero W for $14.95 Aus. They sold out in 10 hrs if what they thought was a months supply.. they are expecting more in a week.

Mick,
I had a look at that link you mentioned but it came up with some Real Estate software crowd. The correct link is: Core-Electronics
Greg

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:18am 08 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Greg,

Serves me right for not checking it properly.. I have found that Core Electronics have some really reasonably priced items.. from a bricks and mortar store they are pretty darn good..

They also hold (monthly ??) Meetings with lessons on various topics including Pi.

Mick

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 11:31am 08 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  I bought the Pi 3B to have a bit of a look see about what all the hysteria is over..

Hey Mick,

You could be brave like I was.

Once I'd got the Official OS install running I grabbed a spare card for it & decided to give Windows 10 IoT core a run.

Lol,
2 hours+ I perceived for; then gave up.
Slipped the Raspian card back in.
(It took under 10 minutes to be up & running GUI & all).

Was just amazed at how appalling the whole IoT attempt was.

Phil.

Bill7300

Posted: 09:32pm 08 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The Pi Zero W is back in stock at Core Electronics today, although still limited to one per customer, in line with current Pi Foundation policy. They also have a promotion special on the Pi Zero accessories until the end of this week, simply enter the code PIZERO when ordering, at the View Cart page.

Bill
Bill

jman

Guru

Posted: 10:49pm 08 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for store link the shipping to NZ is quite reasonable so a Pi Zero W and case is on the way :)

Regards
Jman

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024