Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:46 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Microbric Robots

Dingdoc

Posted: 11:04pm 06 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Whilst having a shed cleanout (an on-going saga!) I recently came across a box containing various assorted bits and pieces for a couple of robot kits made by a South Oz company called Microbric.
One of these robots, called the I-Bot, was released as an educational project by the Advertiser newspaper in association with Tafe SA and the two SA unis back in 2008. I can't quite remember the details for the other AI2 robot which came out around the same time but it was also made by Microbric but was more sophisticated with an LCD display and could be programmed by a USB cable from a computer. More info on these is available by searching online for “Microbric”

Anyway, I figured I would see if anything workable could be resurrected from the bits for my grandson, who was just getting interested in codeing at primary school, and soon managed to get a functioning AI2 robot.

Since all of the inbuilt routines from its internal memory seemed to work OK I downloaded the BricWorks program from the website to see if it could be programmed via downloading.

Two problems immediately arose – A suitable Windows operating system to run Bricworks and a suitable data cable to program it.

Since I haven't used Windows for years, and my grandson only had an Ipad, I dragged out an old Acer 5000 laptop, which had been used quite some time ago to test some version of Linux, and decided to re-install XP on it's now blank HDD.
I found a Windows Home cd in my collection and managed to install that without too much cussing but it insisted that I verify it. Surprisingly this was not the drama expected – as I had no intention of going online with the now unsupported XP I bit the bullet and called the Microsoft 1800 number and was soon up and running with no verification nag screen.

Now for the next hurdle – the programming cable which was no longer available from Microbric.
A search of their website revealed that a Nokia DKU-5 phone cable should work, and I soon found one of these at the local op-shop (for 20c!). But, when I tried it, no-go!! After a lot more searching online it turns out that I had a genuine DKU-5 but I needed a 'knock-off' which used the PL2303 chip. To get around all of the confusion I bought a cheap USB to RS232 cable online and spliced the Nokia plug to this. With the appropriate drivers installed I soon had a cable capable programming the Ai2 robot.

At this stage I'm ready to hand the lot over to the lad and see how he goes but I now need to look into getting the I-Bot working.

If anyone has had any experience with either the Ai2 or I-Bot I would be grateful for more info as I am sure I will soon be getting calls for help from my grandson!

panky

Guru

Posted: 01:28pm 10 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Dingbot

Looks like no one here in the shed has any experience with your bots - good luck with your project. I am sure we would be interested in your progress so keep us posted.

panky

... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

Dingdoc

Posted: 11:40pm 10 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Panky
Thanks for replying.
I felt sure there would be other people who still had these robots put away somewhere, although they are almost retro now!
The Bricworks software looks to be a good simple introduction to programming micros, especially for kids, and I would guess that it is similar to the Lego system. It uses an icon based programming language similar to what the schools seem to be using to introduce codeing, so should still be relevant.
There's also a Linux version which I have been able to get running in Mint but am having problems getting it to find the USB programming cable.
I'm afraid my knowledge of Linux is pretty limited, especially when it comes to running commands in a terminal. I just wish I had more time to learn about it but this retirement business is a full time job and I just don't seem to be able to fit in all of the things I want to do!
Still, hopefully the info I have posted on the programming cable will prove useful to someone.
BTW, the AI2 robot uses a Zilog Z8F0823 micro and the I-Bot has an MC68HC908.
The Microbric system uses circuit board modules which bolt together to build projects a bit like the old Mechano.
Their latest offering is a robot system called Edison which is evidently compatible with the Lego robotics.
Trev

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024