Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:20 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : SOIC Soldering

Page 2 of 2    
Intellecta

Posted: 03:32pm 30 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dear All,
Just a quick one re the ease of soldering. All of my past designs have taken into account that parts may be hand soldered and hence the standard footprints are not optimum. For example, if the pins on a TQFP part are slightly longer and there is exposed copper outside the actual pin, it is easy to run the iron over the copper and heat will be transferred to the actual pin. Flux and a reservoir of solder will assist this. We have designed many boards to take this into account.
Now, look at the latest 28pinner design on Silicon Chip. It is almost impossible to solder the USB mini connector. The pins are hidden by the body and I cannot see the efficacy of the solder. I had to check the continuity with a meter.
Then look at the two smd mosfets. THe pads could be a tad bigger to make it easier to solder.
In conclusion, we should take into account the upstream manufacturing skill set in the design.
That would remove some of the frustration and errors.
Thanks
Tony Pugatschew

paceman
Guru

Posted: 05:38pm 30 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes with many boards there's lots of scope to make things easier by modifying pads. The 1206/0805 combo is one of my favourites because it's simple to change either pad design to make using the alternate size possible. That way people who need to use the larger size because of their eyes can do so, but it also allows others who have their own 'catalogue' of 0805's to use them without having to double-up with 1206's. There is often also an issue with supply or cost of the different sizes, especially with caps - having the choice would make life easier.

Another one is the USB connector - accessing the rear pads is often difficult and the choice between having to use a micro or mini can be a nuisance. Having the choice would be far preferable.

Greg

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 09:35pm 30 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  The pins are hidden by the body and I cannot see the efficacy of the solder. I had to check the continuity with a meter.

the USB connector - accessing the rear pads is often difficult

The usual B socket smd connector has a small metal cover plate shielding the pins. I have found that usually the plate can easily be removed by bending it out using a sharp edge to lever it a bit and then it breaks off. Careful not to mangle the pins ...makes it mucho easier.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:27am 31 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mini-USB-B connectors I am OK with, but the micro-USB sockets can be a bit of a pain!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 11:48am 31 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I finally cleared away some other duties and got to use my new microscope to solder up my recently arrived LCD Backpack Mk2. It has a few SMD devices, including the mini USB referenced above, and some very small capacitors.
They were all dead easy with the scope. Most satisfied! and can thoroughly recommend at least a x10 (and x30) one.
Some observations:
- my ageing hand/eye coordination fairly quickly adapted to the challenge but I did at first have to consciously think 'where are the tips of the tweezers'. Pretty quickly I could get both hands contributing. Practice will make better.
- the overhang above the USB connectors didn't help but by angling the whole board up a little I could get a clearer view from the scope (which has only a vertical view). Doing this first helped (the comment about bending the metal plate hadn't yet been made but I wouldn't rush into doing that unless I was having trouble)
- it was a bit like a flea circus with tiny black components 'spronging' everywhere - until I got my act together
- the Blue Tack helps but you only need a tiny amount and it can leave a gooey mess to clean up (even not getting it hot - it would be impossible if it got hot). I'll keep experimenting and practicing.
Cheers,
Andrew
Edited by Andrew_G 2017-06-01

GoodToGo!

Posted: 12:54pm 31 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   Mini-USB-B connectors I am OK with, but the micro-USB sockets can be a bit of a pain!

Some of the SD card sockets aren't much better either......

GTG!
...... Don't worry mate, it'll be GoodToGo!

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 02:02pm 31 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  It has a few SMD devices, including the mini USB referenced above, and some very small capacitors.

In my post above they are of course transistors and not capacitors.

Andrew
(I couldn't see how to edit the above post rather than adding this one??)

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:56pm 31 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Blu-Tack does not like being heated, so I always only use it to hold the chip in the right place, while I solder the OTHER side(s) of the chip, then remove the blu-tack, and solder those sides.

If you roll the blue-tack with your finger as if you were rolling dough for making bread, it comes away completely cleanly. If you just try to pull the blu-tack up and away from the board, it does tend to want to stay there. Rolling it away works for me.

When I first started using my scope, it was quite un-nerving not being able to see my hand and the iron while looking through the eyepiece, but you DO get used to it - quite quickly, actually, and now I never even think about it.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 09:30pm 31 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   Mini-USB-B connectors I am OK with, but the micro-USB sockets can be a bit of a pain!

That's certainly true but there are a thousand B--Micro cables around (from phones etc.) compared to B--Mini cables; in fact B--Mini are a bit hard to find. The Mini connectors are certainly more robust but I read somewhere that they have been officially 'deprecated' by the official USB body. Maybe we should be thinking about going USB-C

Greg

paceman
Guru

Posted: 09:38pm 31 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Andrew_G said  
  Quote  Andrew
(I couldn't see how to edit the above post rather than adding this one??)

The "EDIT" button is available at the bottom of your post for a few minutes after it appears on the forum. A lot of us just type in EDIT - blah, blah, blah... at the end of the post when the edit window comes back up. Don't forget the 'VIEW POST' button that's available when you're composing the post - I use that constantly.

Greg

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 09:51pm 31 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Greg. I hadn't appreciated the timeout on the Edit. My other edits have been more timely. Cheers,

Andrew

kkoppert

Posted: 03:55pm 01 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   Hi Koppert, All,

You would think it wouldn't be too hard for them to make a decent solder.

I wont reiterate what I said in that thread but suffice to say the Chinese 0.3mm solder was absolute rubbish, The stuff I bought from Radio Parts was pretty good but really didnt seem to be any better/easier for SMD than the 0.5mm stuff. I recommended 0.5mm for the SMD work and 0.71mm for the THP stuff.

Kind Regards,

Mick

OK, unfortunately in New Zealand (maybe even moreso than Oz) we live on the end of a long supply chain and Chinese sellers know how to reduce shipping costs. I can buy Kester 44 solder via DigiKey or Mouser the the cost is horrendous $84 for 250gm. Since this is a hobby I can't afford to spend that sort of money. On ebay I found Kester 44 in 10 foot lengths for $2.63 + $71 shipping. Jaycar sell Duratech solder but only 0.7mm, element 14 sell Multicore for $26.

So what I need is info on good quality brand name solder which is available in New Zealand/OZ where the shipping costs don't involve selling my greatgrandchildren into slavery.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:15pm 01 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can edit your post as many times as you like, provided your post is the most recent one. As soon as someone else posts to the thread, you cannot edit your post anymore. Administration(Gizmo) has said this is done on purpose, so that once extra posts are added, people can't go back and edit what they said to make it look like other posts are wrong. I personally think this is a fab idea, and should be adopted by more forums, IMHO.....

@ kkoppert - If you want some 0.5mm 60/40, as as you are a fellow Kiwi, PM me and I can flick you some. I have plenty. If you want to buy your own rolls, then Element-14 is where I get mine from, as it is free freight on any order NZ$40 or more. I can post a link to the E14 solder if you want to buy your own roll, but you might not want that much.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 07:09pm 01 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Some video (just released today) showing how to solder SOIC.
https://youtu.be/hoLf8gvvXXU?t=250
Microblocks. Build with logic.

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 09:11pm 01 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster, thanks - that explains it. I can see the logic but it is a shame we can't be trusted (but neither is it a big deal to own up that someone "mis-spoke" (to quote George W)). Andrew

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024