Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:45 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Microscope for PCB work

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 09:16pm 04 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I have been looking at a microscope to do SMD work with and I notice that some have been buying the AMSCOPE brands and rave about them.

I have made inquiry to AMSCOPE about a unit they sell for about $100US and they responded within a day asking for more details (Voltage type and QTY required). I have twice provided them with the information but after nearly 2 weeks they have not responded with a quote so today I gave up and had a search of what was available locally and came up with This Beastie

Which I sourced from MEDSHOP in Melbourne for $107AU inc GST (About $80US) and I could pick one up..

I went and looked at it thinking it might be a crappy Chinese knockoff and was more than pleasantly surprised..

It has the following included:

10x eyepieces (maybe these can be swapped for different powers if wanted).
2x and 4x `bottom lenses' which gives magnifications of 20x or 40x.
Halogen Top lighting and a Halogen bottom light.
240V (spec is 220V) powered (Fixed lead with AU plug)
Rubber eyepiece grommets (Not shown in picture)
57mm focus height which I figure would be fine for soldering iron access.
Spare Halogen bulb and a small wrench (not sure what that is for)
Glass bottom plate (for bottom light to penetrate)
Black (one side) and White (the other) bottom plate for Top light contrasts.
Weight is about 2kg (Guestimate) and is made of steel not crappy Plastic.

All in all a pretty decent microscope, even though it is made in China, I haven't used it yet to solder anything but I looked at PCB that had an RT232 SMD chip and I was quite amazed and figured it would suit the task perfectly.

Anyway I thought I would share as at just over $100AU I think it is well worth it and was the cheapest (besides plastic, battery operated units I found on eBay).

I will update when I have actually used it, although I can't foresee any problems with it. I guess it may not be as good as an AMSCOPE but as they obviously do not want to sell me one, I think this one will suit me perfectly. .

It does what it is supposed to do.

Kind Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:26pm 04 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You will love the stereo vision.

You will probably find that you only use the low power settings.
My Amscope unit was sold as one for stamp collectors. The high power eye pieces never get used.

Your price looks great!

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 09:38pm 04 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your one is absolutely identical to the one that I purchased from Amscope and I paid about $80 plus $65 in freight. You have an excellent bargain and a well made scope.

Get yourself a couple of x5 eyepieces. That will give you x10 for soldering which IMHO is near perfect.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:03pm 04 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,
I have an Amscope and by the look of the one you purchased I would say the Amscope is also made in China. Very, very similar to mine. It is interesting what they are advertised as, mine was a dissecting 'scope for biology.
A good find.
Paul.Edited by palcal 2017-06-06
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 01:35am 05 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick. Well done. Your scope is about the same as I paid in freight! Please let us know how it goes.
Andrew

GoodToGo!

Posted: 03:39am 05 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Howdy Mick,

Nice find! I've been to Medshop before for things the boss has needed, being a nurse and all that, but I never thought of them when I was researching stereo microscopes.

I'm gonna have to trundle down and have a look at one!

Cheers!

GTG!
...... Don't worry mate, it'll be GoodToGo!

Bill7300

Posted: 12:57pm 05 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bugger! Paid the exorbitant freight when getting mine from Amscope last year. Let us know if you find a cheap source for the x5 eyepieces that Geoff recommends.

Cheers

Bill
Bill

kkoppert

Posted: 08:46pm 07 Jun 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   Hi All,

I have been looking at a microscope to do SMD work with and I notice that some have been buying the AMSCOPE brands and rave about them.

Kind Regards,

Mick

I notice there are several stereo scopes on ebay and aliexpress some at prices under $50. Has anyone tried these and found them useable?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024