Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:36 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : tower erection

Page 2 of 2    
flc1

Posted: 03:58am 07 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

you at a new place Bruce? good view in the pics

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 06:49am 07 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi FLc1, still at Mt.Tamborine Gold Coast hinterland. Looked down last Wednesday on Carrara stadium for the opening of the Commonwealth Games .very nice place up here ,sort of compensates for my tower stuff-up's,lol.

My tower building has been a bit of a disarster, ol boofhead here,just can,t get it right !! . But, I'll soldier on with help from all you lurkers ,it seems the weight of the Exmork is just too much .

back to a lighter wind gennie,

Thanks all

Bruce
Bushboy

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 10:46am 07 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

larger diameter version of this would be perfect.
I'm confused, no wait... maybe I'm not...

Clockmanfr

Guru

Posted: 09:02pm 07 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here's my No1 3.7m diameter Hugh Piggott design down last winter for service its been up 9 years now.

You can see that my top gin pole wire that is taught is the main brace wire and is fixed as close as possible to the Turbine head but still give clearance for the blades.

The mast is 13 meters long made from 100mm dia, galvanised steel tube and butt welded at each 6 meter length and the 1 meter top section. Those butt welds also have 10mm x 75mm wide steel plate sections also welded on to spread the load on the joint, (Hughs method) I also drill 14mm holes for shackle connections.

The base mounting procedure, with the 6 meter long Gin Pole attached, its a scaffolding pole.

NOTE .... In this photo on the left near the wall, are 3 off those Chinese manufactured so called Wind Turbine mast units are absolutely JUNK and the welds around the bolt flanges were declared unsafe and shipments were scrapped. I got a few for scrap money and I cut them up and use them as gate posts around the farm fields.

The mast base is made up of 75mm x 75mm 8mm thick angle steel that wraps around the pole a good 300mm but I cut the bottom so I can fix a permanent 20mm diameter swivel bolt to the concrete mounted base plate angles.

Like you once down I use a builders trestle to take the weight of everything.

Trust this helps.
Edited by Clockmanfr 2018-04-09
Everything is possible, just give me time.

3 HughP's 3.7m Wind T's (14 years). 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (10 yrs). 21kW PV AC coupled SH GTI's. OzInverter created Grid. 1300ah 48v.

Madness

Guru

Posted: 10:12pm 07 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

brucedownunder2 said  
Hi FLc1, still at Mt.Tamborine Gold Coast hinterland. Looked down last Wednesday on Carrara stadium for the opening of the Commonwealth Games .very nice place up here ,sort of compensates for my tower stuff-up's,lol.

My tower building has been a bit of a disarster, ol boofhead here,just can,t get it right !! . But, I'll soldier on with help from all you lurkers ,it seems the weight of the Exmork is just too much .

back to a lighter wind gennie,

Thanks all

Bruce

I was looking at your photos and thinking you have got a nice view there.

The photo Yahoo posted of the tower pivoting about half way looks like the ultimate solution. I remember many years ago I saw an amateur radio tower that was made of triangular sections that telescoped. This then allowed you to stand up a much shorter tower, fix the guys and then it winched up one section at a time. Has anybody seen this type of tower used for a wind generator?
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

yahoo2

Guru

Posted: 11:39pm 07 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yep, can even do totally portable!

The problem with wind turbines is the easiest towers to erect are less than 40 foot and the wind starts to laminar flow and produce good energy in the warmer regions at 60 foot.

I'm confused, no wait... maybe I'm not...

Madness

Guru

Posted: 01:28am 08 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Years ago I had a 1500w Dunlite up 24M and it was a failure due to up draft amongst trees. It would run great for 20 seconds then do a 360 rotation and keep repeating that over and over. In the photo below it is looking at it from the SW, westerly winds worked well but the predominant E - SE winds were a failure. Had to pull it down a number of times to fix it, climbing that tower and lowering a 50KG plus generator is not something I will be doing again. I like that telescopic idea if it had 3 or 4 10M sections and a pivot halfway up the first one.

Edited by Madness 2018-04-12
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

fillm

Guru

Posted: 12:21pm 12 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

, I have this one to bring down soon to replase the dead whisper that did not like lightning. Its 20mtr with a 10mtr ginpole . Then after that I have a 3kw Var Pitch with a 5mtr GOE222 I am putting up here on a 12mtr / 150mm pole for testing, it is close to 300kg on the tower .
If you do all the calculations and have good foundations its all the same principles
as lifting Loads with cranes and working out the correct load factors, angles and total weight with a generous safety margin .... then all should go well.

You just never want this to happen when lowering any kind of tower. LINK HERE to VID that took place at a mine in Central Queensland not far from a mine where I worked on these Draglines for 12yrs.

Edited by fillm 2018-04-13
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

windlight
Guru

Posted: 08:17pm 04 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bruce did you solve this problem? I my experience the mast bends towards the direction lo lift not away, when you have it halfway up. just wondering.
"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 11:10pm 08 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Alan,

Yes, sort of figured it out --.Too hard basket . I'm getting too old and weak nowdays to do the stupid things I used to do !!

With one kidney out of action ,my weakness comes on after about 3 hours from waking and I have to go back to rest for an hour or so ,to rejunivate my blood .

So, rigging work and most of the heavy lifting around here is now a thing of the past.

Feel good in my self ,apart from that ,so I'm thankful to just tinker around .

Everything is still there , just waiting for a young energenic fellow to take an interest.

Glad you are doing fine up there.

Bruce
Bushboy

windlight
Guru

Posted: 09:53pm 09 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gee Bruce that's easy, backpacker, graduate structural engineer from Germany with bumps on chest

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (Act II, Scene IV).

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024