Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:33 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Testing the neo rotor

imsmooth

Posted: 11:12pm 13 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I finished by test bench and it came out really nice. I ran my generator and was able to measure rpm with a meter tied to two of the phases; and, I measured the voltage and current. I will post the graph soon, but it put out 1335w at 700rpm into 75ohms. I am keeping a journal of my work at this location

The bench is solid 2x4 and 2x8 construction. The motor is 1.5hp dc motor. The pulleys give a 2:1 gear reduction. There is a cage to trap the big flywheel in case it comes off. I used two 25A rectifiers to split the AC current so they don't overheat. They each see about 10A when I'm maxed out on my variac to the motor at 140v. Two capacitors filter the rectified voltage. I use a frequency counter on my multimeter connected to two of the phases. 28 hz equals on revolution/second. Two other multimeters measure current and voltage. Graph will follow shortly.

Here are some pictures.

Edited by imsmooth 2008-05-16

fillm

Guru

Posted: 01:29am 14 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good work Imsooth , Will be intrested to see the output from 80 to 200 RPM , my dual neo would do 600 to 700 watts at 230 to 270 RPM , but the draw back is the start up and staying running in low winds below 12 klms , I have at present gone back to standard rotors because they will produce all day if wind above 8 klm is there . I have not given up on neos as yet and will continue when I build No 2 windgen and trial a 6 blade prop , they need big power to drive them. Have you totally eliminated clogging ? When I angled the magnets on the hubs I did to have no clogg the out put drops off as well . It looks like you are using the grey plastic rotors , are they distorting yet? , it is a problem i encountered even after the strengthining I did , search post "48v dual neo" for pics of my hubs . Keep up the good work and keep us posted...
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

imsmooth

Posted: 02:43am 14 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the output graph

I have not noticed any distorting, yet. I designed the magnets to have the
same arc as the rotor so they bond directly onto the metal without any air
gaps. This reinforces the strength. Also, the angle chosen for the
magnets significantly reduced cogging, and, as
you can see, did not reduce the power output.

I am now working on fastening the steel hub to the rotor.

Again, if anyone is interested in purchasing these magnets they need to
let me know and I will call the manufacturer and place an order. You will
have to pay for the magnets and shipping ahead of time; then, I will have
them shipped to your address.Edited by imsmooth 2008-05-15

fillm

Guru

Posted: 05:56am 14 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What is cost of these magnets and to have them shiped to brisbane ? Is the magnet bonding designed to fit into a standard plastic hub onto the ferrite magnet steel backing ? Did you test both star and delta output ?
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

KiwiJohn
Guru

Posted: 06:48am 14 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great work but I notice you are producing more than your 1.5HP so apparently you are overdriving your motor. Have you measured motor voltage and current when you are getting 1300 watts out?

imsmooth

Posted: 12:13pm 14 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Shipping is about $75 from China. I would have to get a quote on the cost per magnet based on the quantity. I originally order 60 pieces (30N, 30S). They fit directly onto the steel backing. I am only testing Star.

Yes, I am overdriving the motor. THe motor's original rating is for 180v/15A (DC). I was running it at 140v/20A (AC) (voltage/current going into the rectifier-filter circuit). I don't have the DC values going in. I only did this for a minute so I wouldn't burn the motor.

oztules

Guru

Posted: 06:49am 15 May 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My one concern with the neo conversion has been with the expected (I expect anyway) increase in iron drag.

As your conversion does not cog, could you tell us how much you feel the iron drag increased compared to the ferrite version.

I am wondering if the increase in magnetic flux will be as valuble as everyone hopes, or will it eat up more torque from the increased iron drag as to make it not worth the effort. I would expect that the iron was close to saturation before the conversion. The "super" saturation that would follow a neo conversion will still increase output, but at what cost to input.

My Seeley dragged noticeably when I increased the flux (bigger ferrites) and the seeley is not likely to be close to saturation (long magnet gap), so the increase in output was useful. I am wondering if going from saturated to more saturated gives the oomph you expected versus the extra drag.

........oztules

Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024