Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:24 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : Low Wind F&P

ryanm

Posted: 02:54am 27 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm in a fairly average area for wind, but I'm going off-grid and I'd like to utilise what little I can to help out my battery bank.

There's lots of info on the site with RPM/power graphs, but I haven't seen much on windspeed/power graphs so I though I'd float this out there and see how I go. From your experiences do you think I could achieve around 50W from an extruded aluminium blade F&P in 5m/s winds?

fillm

Guru

Posted: 03:05pm 27 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rynam,

As I have the extruded blades and know them well the 5 M/S is getting to the area where you would be easily seeing 100 to 200W dependant on the blade size chosen and off course how you rewire the stators . In a dual I have always gone with 42Pole / 80 series but the newer 36 poles and blacks are also good.
It comes down to what you get your hands on .
I have a whole new range of Dual F&P's I have been slowly designing over that last 6 or so months, and also the solution to easier use of The LG motors as duals as well that fit my F&P Dual mounting system. I will put some pics and info up in the coming month, time permitting.
PhillM ...Oz Wind Engineering..Wind Turbine Kits 500W - 5000W ~ F&P Dual Kits ~ GOE222Blades- Voltage Control Parts ------- Tower kits

Madness

Guru

Posted: 09:22pm 27 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What sort power output is reasonable to expect from the LG motors. I have one from a 10KG front loader that I am planning to use for hydro.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

DaveP68

Posted: 10:50pm 27 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Personally I haven't tested an LG stator.

Here is an extract from "EcoInnovation Smart Drive Applications for DIY projects" document.

"The history of the Smart Drive
The Smart Drive was designed over 25 years ago and was the 1st direct drive motor for mass produced washing machines. It was also injection moulded from plastic, never before done on a motor this large subject to high torque reversals.
Since its inception it has undergone four design changes for higher voltage applications, but remains little changed in appearance. It is still in manufacture today and installed on many leading brand washing machines such as:

Fisher & Paykel
Whirlpool
Maytag
Haier

Other companies such as LG have also copied this design, but as they run with large clearances and do not use laminated steel rotors or high strength ferrites these units have a much lower power density and efficiency. In other words they are inferior products".

I'll go with what Michael has stated here, as he's done extensive testing on mostly F&P stators and know his stuff.

If anyone can publish some data comparing the performance of an LG stator against an F&P, I would be very interested to see the results.
There are realities if you do not accept, will lead to frustration because you will be spending time on wrong assumptions and the results cannot follow! The Dunning Kruger Effect :)

ryanm

Posted: 03:18am 28 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Phill,

Sent an email to the address on your site probably a few months ago, but I think it must have went to spam. I think I'll have my hands full for a while once Madness gets these inverter boards sent out. I'll definitely get in touch at some point later about getting some blades or a full mill though.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024