Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:21 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Windmills : VAWT Revisited

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 03:45pm 31 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I know vertical axis wind turbines are not the hot topic on this form, but you have to admit one thing. They are fun to watch as they spin in the wind.

To that end, I have built a new VAWT And I shot a video of it and posted it to my YouTube channel.

That’s about as far as I got. I no longer have a computer, only an iPhone and I haven’t figured out yet how to post the video here on the forum, so those of you who have tucked away my YouTube video address in your files someplace, you can go there and watch my new VAWT perform.

In a not shell, it is a Marconi-rigged sail stitched from Dacron and placed on a mast and boom with an outhaul. The counterweight provides momentum, which drives the mechanism through the LUFF point of its travels, About 90°.

You may recognize the red sail from a previous video, which featured a Radio controled sailcar. Same sail. Future builds will feature TWO sails, shorter masts and a mechanism connected to the opposite side of the shaft, which is nothing more than a bicycle hub, which will drive in air compressor.

My true passion is building small engines, which operate on compressed air, hence my windmills all pump air into a receiver. Edited by MacGyver 2018-06-02
Nothing difficult is ever easy!
Perhaps better stated in the words of Morgan Freeman,
"Where there is no struggle, there is no progress!"
Copeville, Texas

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 10:38pm 31 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If this works, I’ll drop back by and edit it into a hot link.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBackshedMac

AMAZING! It wirks. It’s the first video in the playlist.
It’s a red sail whirling around. Edited by MacGyver 2018-06-02
Copeville, Texas

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 09:51pm 01 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Advantages to this design:

Self starting

Airfoil automatically adjusts for maximum lift

Tremendous torque —— depending on the moment arm,
which is the distance from the sail root to the pivot point.

Easily constructed

Some of us think they look cool .

I am planning on manufacturing approximately 20 of these, with the exception that the new ones will have two sails each.

Since I use a front bicycle hub for the bearing, I can put the windmill portion on the top and either a belt or chain gear reduction on the bottom and run it against a tiny air compressor. All 20 air compressers will feed my common receiver, which has a capacity of about half a good size swimming pool.

Like I said, my true passion is designing and building small engines, which run on compressed air. I am currently working on a small generator, which produces approximately 15 V and 1 1/2 A, which can be used to recharge a car battery, should you so desire. Edited by MacGyver 2018-06-03
Copeville, Texas

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:22pm 01 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is fun to watch. If you crafted a little boat to go under the sail, you will sell hundreds of them at flea markets.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

MacGyver

Guru

Posted: 12:53am 02 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That’s a good idea, but I don’t chase money. It’s chases me. I just do this stuff to entertain myself, but thank you for the suggestion.
Copeville, Texas

electrondady1

Posted: 11:11am 02 Jun 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

first one like that Ive seen . congratulations.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024